Are we signing Doug Gabriel?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Patriots | Gabriel released
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:27:12 -0800

ESPNews reports the New England Patriots have released WR Doug Gabriel.

Was this the reason why King was released, and nobody was signed to fill that roster spot? It takes Gabriel 48 hours to clear waivers. Are we going to pick him up?

Two reasons why I see it as an option:

1. Gabriel played under Kruczek at Central Florida, so Kruczek knows Gabriel and would know how to use him.

2. Gabriel looked very good as the 3rd WR with the Raiders, but was expendable because he was very simular to the speed WRs Moss and Porter. BJ is one of the best 3rd WRs in the NFL, but IMO he's too simular to Boldin and Fitz, so not really a good fit as our 3rd WR that should stretch the field. Gabriel could do that for us.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I dont think we need another WR.. we need to either find a DL or DB to shore up depth.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I dont think we need another WR.. we need to either find a DL or DB to shore up depth.

Yeah, but there's no DL or CB out there that would contribute to this team long-term. Gabriel has a chance to do that.

There's IMO a strong possibility that BJ gets traded after this season, so Gabriel would be a nice addition.

Why do I think BJ gets traded?

He's entering the final year of this contract, and there's no way we would be able to match a contract offer, when he becomes a UFA after next season. Another team will without a doubt give him a chance to be the 2nd WR, and pay him accordingly. So I'm thinking he gets traded after this season, so the team gets some kind of value for him.

Bryant Johnson (4 games as the #2 WR, 9 games as #3 WR)
31 receptions, 578 yards, 18.6 avg., 4 TDs

Falcons' WRs:
Ashley Lelie 23 373 16.2 0
Michael Jenkins 33 371 11.2 6
Roddy White 22 300 13.6 0

Oaklands' WRs:
Randy Moss 42 553 13.2 3
Ronald Curry 37 487 13.2 1
Alvis Whitted 27 299 11.1 0

And then there's a lot of teams without a #2 WR opposite their #1. #2 numbers:

Houston - Eric Moulds 51 520 10.2 1 (aging)
Tampa - Michael Clayton 33 356 10.8 1
Buffalo - Peerless Price 37 298 8.1 3
SF - Arnaz Battle 43 478 11.1 3
Cleveland - Joe Jurevicius 31 391 12.6 2
Washington - Brandon Lloyd 21 335 16.0 0

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I looked up at the start of the season he was making big catches for them. Obviously, Caldwell has become the "go-to" guy now, but I thought Gabriel was producing nicely.

You think we'll hear something about steroid/drug use in the coming days/weeks?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Our WR core is at a really high level right now. Why screw with it?

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Whenever I looked up at the start of the season he was making big catches for them. Obviously, Caldwell has become the "go-to" guy now, but I thought Gabriel was producing nicely.

You think we'll hear something about steroid/drug use in the coming days/weeks?

They can't cut him if he's suspended. Gabriel looked good early in the season and his recent disappearance is one of biggest mysteries in the NFL. Gabriel had the key fumble in the Patriots' loss to NYJ, but other than that no one outside NE really knows why he was released/became burried on the DC.

The way I look at it is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Our WR core is at a really high level right now. Why screw with it?
My point was, that the WR core is going to change after next season no matter what we do, so adding Gabriel could be a smart move.

BJ is the 3rd WR for us. Another team will give him a chance to become their 1st or 2nd WR. We most likely won't be able to match a contract offer from another team AND you have to assume that BJ would like to prove himself as more than a 3rd WR.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked him with the Raiders, had a terrific preseason a couple of years ago then got hurt. He's very fast, straightline speedn not a kick return guy. THe Raiders tried him early in his career as a KO return guy he did ok, nothing special, according to NFL.com he had 1 TD as a rookie on KO returns, career average 21.5, not any better than JJ.

He's a stretch the field type player but I'm guessing he's got some attitude problems or something because a lot of Raiders were stunned when they got rid of Gabriel in the first place and NE now only has 4 Wr's, one of whom is playing hurt.

Put it this way the Raiders traded him when Curry's status was still unclear(coming off a major injury) and they had no clue if Porter was going to play or
not, so there had to be some personality conflict.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Weird how Gabriel wasn't on anyone's wishlist until the Pats traded for him. Funny how the Pats being interested in you increases your stock, even if they ultimately cut you in mid-season. IMO, all three of your top receivers are better than Gabriel.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
He has been great in New England. If anything he has been staying away from the media. After the fumble in the loss to the Jets Gabriel was benched. That one mistake seems to have ended his career in New England. Not sure why...

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
I like BJ but if he's tradeable in the offseason I'd move him. As another poster stated in another thread, a player like Ginn would be a great #3/KR addition. Just a real question as to where he would go in the draft. You can't spend a #1 pick on a #3 receiver.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird how Gabriel wasn't on anyone's wishlist until the Pats traded for him.
It's not weird at all. If a guy seems to be solidly on a roster, then why waste your time with "wishing" for him.

I wish we had Jonathan Ogden. I wish we had Walter Jones. I wish we had Olin Kruetz.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
It's not weird at all. If a guy seems to be solidly on a roster, then why waste your time with "wishing" for him.

I wish we had Jonathan Ogden. I wish we had Walter Jones. I wish we had Olin Kruetz.

So you actually thought about Gabriel in the same way that you think about those guys? Even on a roster, I never gave Gabriel a single thought. I think about guys like Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, etc...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you actually thought about Gabriel in the same way that you think about those guys? Even on a roster, I never gave Gabriel a single thought. I think about guys like Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, etc...
No, I didn't think about Gabriel as an upper-eschelon WR. But nobody is talking about him like that in the post, are they?

You noted how he's jumped up on everyone's radar--and I pointed out that's because he's become available, not because the Patriots liked him 6 months ago as you suggested.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
No, I didn't think about Gabriel as an upper-eschelon WR. But nobody is talking about him like that in the post, are they?

You noted how he's jumped up on everyone's radar--and I pointed out that's because he's become available, not because the Patriots liked him 6 months ago as you suggested.

And what I'm saying is that if the Raiders had dropped him earlier in the season, nobody would have thought twice about him. But now that he's released from the Patriots, there's a thread about him on every board.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what I'm saying is that if the Raiders had dropped him earlier in the season, nobody would have thought twice about him.
I can't speak for other boards, but we would have been all over that. We're so good at it we even have a smilie for it.

:bhiich:

Maybe another reason for Arizona fans' interest is that we're not looking at him as a #1 or even #2 WR. He'd be very well suited to play the #3 spot here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what I'm saying is that if the Raiders had dropped him earlier in the season, nobody would have thought twice about him. But now that he's released from the Patriots, there's a thread about him on every board.

Disagree, there are STILL threads on Raiders boards about how stupid it was to trade Gabriel. Remember they went into the regular season with Porter on double secret probation, Moss asking to be traded, and Curry being held to limited snaps because of his recovery from an injury the year before.

In fact I'd bet if I go to a raider board right now there's a thread about they should pick up Gabriel. Yes that the Pats wanted him has an effect on his rep, but Gabriel was one of those guys a lot of people had pegged as an up and comer.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

You don't get my point with this thread at all.

He wasn't released, the Pats traded for him. Why did the Raiders let him go? Because he's simular in style to both Moss, Porter and Curry (primary a deep threat), so they really didn't need him and was on the final year of his contract. He was expendable at the time, but they have probably regretted that since...

I agree, that Gabriel isn't a star receiver and he's not as good a WR as BJ if you compare them. BUT we're talking about how Gabriel would fit our offense as the 3rd WR. I would argue that he's a better fit to than BJ, because he's a more natural deep threat. BJ is fast, but it takes him time to get up to speed. Gabriel would force more safety support because of his speed and that's basicly why I think he's a better fit.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Disagree, there are STILL threads on Raiders boards about how stupid it was to trade Gabriel. Remember they went into the regular season with Porter on double secret probation, Moss asking to be traded, and Curry being held to limited snaps because of his recovery from an injury the year before.

In fact I'd bet if I go to a raider board right now there's a thread about they should pick up Gabriel. Yes that the Pats wanted him has an effect on his rep, but Gabriel was one of those guys a lot of people had pegged as an up and comer.

Well for them, it was dumb to let him go. Their WR situation is a mess, even with Porter and Moss (or maybe better said, especially with Porter and Moss). You guys don't have that problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05