Arizona Cardinals' 2011: The QB Search By The Numbers

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it funny everyone is ready to question Mallett's character, but a lot of the same people dismiss Newton's character issues. Newton was caught at Florida with stolen property and his father admitted being involved in a pay-for-play scheme.

Most of Mallett's issues are "rumors" and according to most who know him or have closely followed his career, he has grown up a lot over the past two seasons.

IMO of the QBs at the top of the draft he has the most special skills. Newton is a nice runner, but won't be an elite running QB at the NFL level. Mallett has an amazing arm; he'll probably have the strongest arm in the NFL as a rookie. And his accuracy is vastly underrated; watch him play and you'll see him make NFL throws on a weekly that few college QBs make in their college career.

As much as I like Mallett, I don't think we have the team for a rookie QB. I'd be much more inclined to take a rookie if our offensive line was better, but IMO a rookie would struggle behind our line right now.

I'd take a gamble on Alex Smith or trade for Orton, or both. IMO Alex Smith is better than what Niner fans will tell you. Whisenhunt would work wonders with Alex Smith, he has the tools to be a very good NFL QB.

Right with you, if Newton did what most seem to think he did it speaks directly to character. Academic fraud, twice, stealing a laptop and then tossing it out a window into a dumpster to avoid being caught(I know he says he bought it but as soon as he admitted to tossing it out the window that I bought it part came into question too.)

If Mallett has the issues that are rumored out there he will fall, I'm not a huge Mallett fan anyways, but with Newton the fact that NCAA violations don't carry over to the NFL doesn't concern me, it's the assumption that guys who do things like he's accused of doing generally have character issues that can come out to hurt a franchise later.

I would also add to the original premise of this thread, the Leenart passes every single check on that list too.

So it's certainly something to look at, but not a guarantee.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Who in this draft is capable of starting from day one then? I really don't see any of the QBs being ready to start from day one...especially if there is a shortened offseason.

Well they are all capable of starting from Day 1. Many, but not all, of the high first round QBs start from Day 1 struggle through their first season and if they've got it never look back.

Bradford,Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, Stafford, and Roethlisberger all started from day 1. Big Ben was 13-0 his first season. Ryan and Flacco 11-5. But like you I don't see the 2011 class having guys like that.

Not too many teams have the luxury of drafting a first round QB with a legend still on the roster like the Packers did with Rodgers allowing prize pick time to adjust to the pro game.

Sadly that latter worked for Green Bay and didn't work for us.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch thanks for this condensed version but can I get your full report :) great stuff and no to trading up. Orton suggestion is interesting. Wonder what Fitz thinks?

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like Kaepernick a lot. I believe his stock is going to rise in the next couple of months. He has a very strong arm and is athletic. Great name to. Sounds like one of those old school names before helments and real pads.

Ray Horton said that his defensive scheme is so complex that rookies don't get a chance to start.

People have to remeber that when you are drafting at the #5 spot that player has to be a starter from day one. You don't spend that much money on someone who is going to ride the bench.

Kaepernick was a great college player but he has HORRIBLE mechanics. When they beat Cal I swear every throw I was amazed it got there because the mechanics are so bad, doesn't throws spirals let alone tight spirals.

His passing numbers to me are misleading because he's throwing to open guys against defenses worried about the run from that Pistol offense.

He'll have to completely rework his mechanics.