Arizona Football

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Renz said:
You were right. :thumbup:

Mike Bell is tearing UCLA a new one.

Yeah, I was thinking the other way, but nothing can go wrong for the Cats tonight.

Hopefully that same streak continues tomorrow for the red birds!!

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Wow... what a game... what a win.

It looked like UCLA overlooked this team, but we also played sound football. Did everything right and played extremely hard.

What a difference a QB makes.

On another note, I love the news about 4 of the top 25 WR in the nation have returned Stoop's calls and are interested in playing with Willie.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hey Mao give me some credit. The Wildcats did go out and beat UCLA and i didn't just guess at that. The previous Oregon State game led me to think they had found the one piece that was the difference between them winning and losing these close games.

But this is no time to gloat about anything other than the football team. What a HUGE victory for the program and what a coup it was that we some how got this kid. Hes a program changing QB. A good finish to the season (including a blow out of the Devils) and there is no doubt we will be a preseason 25 team going into next year and the PAC 10 favorite the following year.

My only concern now is how much longer will we have mike stoops if he keeps getiting play like this.....:cheers:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Well, we probably would have a winning record had Tuitama started the season at QB. Huge wins for the Cats, first time I've seen them win in person since the ASU game in Mackovic's first year and it was a great way to break my own personal streak with Homecoming, Top 10 team, etc. I'm not going to make any outlandish predictions for the ASU game and the future yet as there's still some football to be played, but I can't help but be impressed with how this team has played over the last few weeks. I seriously thought we were looking at the beginning of the end after we lost to Stanford.

And I also don't want to make any kneejerk decisions about Stoops' future right now because a letdown against UW destroys any momentun gained on Saturday. Just look at ASU. They were about to elect Koetter Mayor of Tempe halfway through the USC game and he's one loss against UA from being on the hot seat. Plus I don't think Stoops is going to get considerable interest from Midwest schools due to his past so any move he'd make would probably be lateral. Get to a bowl and the boosters will pay up.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
So sad...

Are au fans really that pumped about being close to not horrible??? Who on this site thought that UCLA belonged in the top 10? 15? 20? UCLA is not good, they're an average team.
Congrats on the victory au, but remember that YOUR coach was "SURPRISED" at how good the PAC was at passing(he said that last year)...That is the "stoopidist" comment and most ignorant comment I've heard in a while. And the best part about it is that he considers himself a defensive coach, who thinks the PAC plays NO D..

But hey, good luck with your big 12 coach, who didn't know the PAC passes the ball :biglaugh:

AU looks like they might be improving, but that's because TY Willingham has only been at UW for less than a season...he's the coach of the worst team in the conference, but he'll crush stoopid within a year...Where will that leave stoopid's team? In last place in the PAC?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Are au fans really that pumped about being close to not horrible??? Who on this site thought that UCLA belonged in the top 10? 15? 20? UCLA is not good, they're an average team.
Congrats on the victory au, but remember that YOUR coach was "SURPRISED" at how good the PAC was at passing(he said that last year)...That is the "stoopidist" comment and most ignorant comment I've heard in a while. And the best part about it is that he considers himself a defensive coach, who thinks the PAC plays NO D..

But hey, good luck with your big 12 coach, who didn't know the PAC passes the ball :biglaugh:

AU looks like they might be improving, but that's because TY Willingham has only been at UW for less than a season...he's the coach of the worst team in the conference, but he'll crush stoopid within a year...Where will that leave stoopid's team? In last place in the PAC?

AU....?

:biglaugh:

Poor Poor Sundevil fans......Not only do we kick your a$$ at basketball every year but now it looks like we might beat you at "your" sport for the next four too...

Apparently you have lived in a cave for the last few years but "AU" actually DOES have one of the best young coachs and i thought that before saturdays game...Look at the recruits he has brought in....its insane "AU" was getting the level of recruits we were with as bad as the program had played in getting out of the Macovic era...and more than one person has noted Oklahoma has not won a thing since Stoops took his defense and came west. The problem was the lack of a QB to win those close games we had played all year (and go back and read the boxscore where it says UA jacka$$...every one of those games was in doubt in the 4th quarter...even USC, ASU's "signature" game of the year)

So now with Tutiama, im thinking we are def. turning the corner....i know how fleeting it can be because i was/am a big Sam Keller guy and his injury was pretty devastating, but i will say this....Rudy Carpeneter is not going to beat us....You thought we hit you in the mouth last year in tucson? Just wait until we show you our new found confidence.....

Dont be bitter AZballer....its not like every important arizona football recruit was at that game....no way they could have been swayed to commit to UA right?

No No No in fact the best news is that Jerrd Bayless was at the game with Hassan Adams....But you never had a chance with the PHoenix product anyways....So our basketball PAC- 10 domination is not likely to let up anytime soon with the way Lute is going.....

Rough time to be a Devils fan....maybe lady Love will get youi a couple coaches and then we can talk again:D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Just when I think it might be possible to have an intelligent discourse, a Tempe fan shows up with some uneducated childish ramblings. Shocking.

And who didn't think UCLA was a top 10 team? Their defense was a wreck but they were undefeated, genius.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Just when I think it might be possible to have an intelligent discourse, a Tempe fan shows up with some uneducated childish ramblings. Shocking.

And who didn't think UCLA was a top 10 team? Their defense was a wreck but they were undefeated, genius.

Exactly...they are not a top 10 team because we stepped up and handed them their lunch....

But they were a top 5 team before it....and they had two fringe heisman contenders before the game too....

Just to pour some salt in the wounds....

CNNSI.com

Mandel's team of the Week

Arizona

Rarely has a quarterback change so drastically transformed a program's identity. Three weeks ago, the Wildcats seemed stuck in reverse in Mike Stoops' second season, their offense utterly ineffective, their only win of the year coming over I-AA Northern Arizona. Then Stoops made the admittedly risky decision in the middle of an eventual 28-21 loss to Oregon to lift freshman quarterback Willie Tuitama's redshirt and bench second-year starter Richard Kovalcheck. All Tuitama has done in two starts is lead Arizona to consecutive Pac-10 victories for the first time in five years, going 27-of-46 for 539 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. He started Saturday's game against UCLA by completing eight of his first nine passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns to stake the Wildcats to a 28-0 lead. Meanwhile, Arizona ran for 315 yards as well. It's as if the entire team is suddenly playing with the same confidence as its new freshman leader. Can one player really make that big a difference? "I believe the quarterback makes everyone else better," said Stoops. "I've never seen anything like this."

My point exactly......College footbal is enough that the right QB can take you very far......look at the difference between SC, Texas, and ND compared too the talented but flawwed QB's at UM and VT.....They all got similar talent....its just those first three have the Quarterback....

I might be drinking the kool aid but does any other Cats fan expect us to lose either of these two games...?

I just wish we would be bowl eligible because that would be huge as well....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What game are you guys talking about, UCLA didn't play this weekend. :D

God I knew they were overrated but I sure didn't think they'd get completely blitzed by UA. THey kept pulling off comebacks you knew that wouldn't last forever but what a waxing that was, glad I was fishing I didn't have to see that or see Cal lose.

Dorrell went from the messiah to a pretender in one week.

DesertSwarmBAS

Future Ambulance Chaser
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
AU....?

Rough time to be a Devils fan....maybe lady Love will get youi a couple coaches and then we can talk again:D

The bottom line is that you still have to go back to tucson :barf: when its all said and done, and for that i am glad it is you and not me. Go Devils.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
DesertSwarmBAS said:
The bottom line is that you still have to go back to tucson :barf: when its all said and done, and for that i am glad it is you and not me. Go Devils.

Hey bud....i dont know what kind of "pact for life" you signed with ASU but i actually live in South Beach, Florida and am just a ferverent Zona alumni....

Tucson is a GREAT college town....but i would never live there after graduating

i actually grew up about ten minutes from ASU at Ray and Rural though so no dice there either

on and that comment was pretty clever about the first dozen or so times i heard it, you ASU guys should just get T-shirts made.....:thumbup:

bitter, bitter, bitter.......

BEARDOWN ARIZONA

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
DesertSwarmBAS said:

Oh and one more thing...your moniker is a total rip off of the nickname of Arizona Football defense of the early nineties.....just because you live in the desert and you think it sounds cool doesn't mean you get to rip it off Devil boy....

Its also my name on the azcardinals.com board too, but i am an alum and have the permission of Peter Likens so its all good;)

If i cared enough, I would change my name to "fork'em" or "kush-lover" whatever the hell you guys are defined by as a football program....

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
DesertSwarmBAS said:

Man, that's all you Sun Devil fans have isn't it? "Our athletic department sucks nuts, but hey, Tucson blows!!" Geez, what morons... You are our beeyotchs in basketball, will be our beeyotches in football and our baseball program is quickly gaining on Murphy. But hey, you can always be proud of your lacrosse team!!

Bear Down Cats!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Typical Arizona football. One step forward, two steps back.

But I'm not going to go off the deep end because of this loss just as I didn't overreact to last week's win. Arizona simply isn't that good of a team yet. They are not as bad as they played this week, but they're also not as good as they looked against UCLA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Typical Arizona football. One step forward, two steps back.

But I'm not going to go off the deep end because of this loss just as I didn't overreact to last week's win. Arizona simply isn't that good of a team yet. They are not as bad as they played this week, but they're also not as good as they looked against UCLA.

Tuitama got hurt in the second quarter... The thumb on his throwing hand was swelling and was pretty banged up. Hence the interceptions and lack of a passing game.

However, we just could not stop the run at all. Pathetic game, especially on senior day and a day where many recruits came to watch.

We need... And I stress NEED to win against ASU

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, a definite step back. But no doubt, this time is better and will get better with a little more time. Stoops just needs to bring in more of his guys, period. Trust me, by 2007, we'll be ranked top 25 in the preseason.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
I know we lost a close one to a top 15 team, but congrats on handing one of the worst teams in the nation their second win. I can see those pac-10 title hopes you were talkin about for next year. Go devils

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
ya, ya you all proved me wrong, just as you proved me wrong when you said coach Mac outrecruited ASU a few years ago (why do those great players still suck?)...I'm very scared of the kids that stoopid is bringing in. Those kids might even be as good as stoopid's brother's recuits are @ Oklahoma, who got destroyed by UCLA...Hornestly, I'm not happy with ASU, but 2 Div 1 wins and a frosh qb wouldn't put me on top of the world like you guys...Good luck on being the last PAC or big 11 team to make it to the ROSE BOWL! I'm sure toots will be much better than Ryan O'hara or Smith or Jenkins, or Kovlacheck or Rattay, and every other savior qb you've had :biglaugh:

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Transalation: We suck, but you guys suck worse!

Geez, what happened to all the good posters (fans of both schools) on this board who could talk college football rationally without using idiotic nicknames and meaningless smack talk?