Arrington

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
4 teams in 7 years does not speak well for his resume' unless he is a Nomad.

If you're a player or a head coach yes, if you're an assistant, it's not your fault. He left New England because he worked for Pete Carroll, Carroll got fired, and Belicheck came in and brought his own staff.

The next year he worked for Norv Turner, Turner got fired, and Wilson left at the end of the year.

Next year Carroll brought him in to work at USC.

Next year Gruden brought him over to Tampa Bay where among other things they won a Superbowl. Then after 2 years he left Tampa Bay and came here. I just read a story that said one of the reasons Wilson was let go in Tampa is he and Gruden didn't agree on personnel, Wilson wanted to keep Thomas Jones, and Gruden didn't. I'd say Wilson so far looks like the smart guy there although Tampa does now have a pretty good RB in their own right.

So basically 2 of those jobs ended because the head coach got fired. He sure hasn't made a huge impact here so far but I'd say his past history at least shows it's unlikely the problem with the run game is our RB coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
I agree. There a few like Russ that can tell me a better way to do this but here goes.

Play Arrington exclusively for two games. Yes, use Shipp to spell him, but feature Arrington. Give him the ball at least 25 times. He's only been handed the ball 33 times this year. He has the longest run from the line of scrimmage for the Cardinals this year. Running backs like him need the ball more than four times a game. Find out what we've got.

That is tough to do when we typically don't give the whole team 25 carries in any game. The problem right now is that we're not using JJ in spots that feature his strengths(as Walt has said repeatedly) and when we do use him it's almost telegraphing we're going to hand him the ball. He's got to do more with the carries he does get, like Gore is doing in SF, but SF uses Gore differently they don't bring him in on obvious run downs, give him one carry, and then sit him again, they give him whole series.

I watched again last night and I don't see JJ looking hurt after his 4th carry(the draw play) but near as I can tell he didn't see the field for the rest of the game, even in garbage time, Shipp got the carries. I just don't see the logic in that we already know what Shipp can do, if JJ was healthy, shouldn't he have been on the field there?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep and I know I for one haven't compared him to Sanders even remotely on this or any other board. The only one who keeps wanting to compare him to hall of famers or guys drafted way ahead of him is you.

I would be the last guy to compare JJ to Sanders. I reallly had hardly heard of him living here in the midwest. I saw him only once on TV and just assumed he must be good as he lead the nation in rushing. I did wonder why he would be a second rounder as the leading rusher in the nation. I was not disappointed we drafted him in round 2 but sure am disappointed now that I have watched him for 6 games.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
john h said:
I was not disappointed we drafted him in round 2 but sure am disappointed now that I have watched him for 6 games.
You weren't disappointed with Thomas Jones when he was here?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
earthsci said:
You weren't disappointed with Thomas Jones when he was here?

I posted at the time that losing Thomas Jones was a mistake and a big mistake. The guy was injured. I thought it then and I think it now. This is not hindsight.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I would be the last guy to compare JJ to Sanders. I reallly had hardly heard of him living here in the midwest. I saw him only once on TV and just assumed he must be good as he lead the nation in rushing. I did wonder why he would be a second rounder as the leading rusher in the nation. I was not disappointed we drafted him in round 2 but sure am disappointed now that I have watched him for 6 games.

A lot of reasons that have been beaten to death before but here goes.

1) Arrington was the starter 1 year at Cal.

2) The Pac 10 is notoriously NOT a good defensive conference, the league is full of RB's going over 1000 yards at a high YPC clip. Look at Jerome Harrison this year at WSU over 1300 and 6.4 YPC.

3) Arrington is on the short side.

Darren Sproles led the country in rushing in 2003 and was drafted after JJ this year. Michael Turner was 2nd in rushing that year and was drafted in the 5th round. FYI I've said several times I love Turner, stuck behind LT but he's one guy I would love to see the Cards try to get if they decide JJ isn't the RB of the future.

The point being the leading rusher in the country isn't always a first round pick, even this year the leading rusher figures to be the 3rd RB drafted.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
john h said:
I posted at the time that losing Thomas Jones was a mistake and a big mistake. The guy was injured. I thought it then and I think it now. This is not hindsight.
I just think that we haven't seen enough of Arrington to give up. Maybe he's a bust but for different reasons he's suffering the same fate as TJ. He's not getting his chance.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who realizes that the kid is not getting a decent shot, and that 4-5 carries a game isn't going to show whether he's a bust or not.

Frankly, I'm tired of people saying he is with no data to back it up. It's almost like some people want him to fail just so they can say I told you so. Shades of McCown apologists, sure...but McCown had a ton of playing time to prove he sucks and is a backup at best.

JJ has had a paltry amount of carries and among those is our longest gainer of the season. JJ better get some nude pics of Denny and a polar bear quite soon and demand some more playing time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
JJ has had a paltry amount of carries and among those is our longest gainer of the season. JJ better get some nude pics of Denny and a polar bear quite soon and demand some more playing time.

You had to go and throw the polar bear in there knowing Lost is a repeat again tonight. :D

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You had to go and throw the polar bear in there knowing Lost is a repeat again tonight. :D

BWAHAHAHAHA!

A-Bomb

OP
OP
G

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Why give him carries if he doesnt run hard at least??? Does he deserve to play because he was second round pick?? Dennis Green wanted Michael Bennent for a reason, but Graves wouldnt let him. That we targeted Arrington so early also shows that Green gets enamoured with players that arent necessarly the right fit- If you draft best available players then I understand the Fitzgerald pick- though at the time I hated the pick and still do- but I think there were more productive and better players availble when we picked JJ. Four year starters who were way more proven.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
Dennis Green wanted Michael Bennent for a reason, but Graves wouldnt let him.

Um what are you talking about. That isnt what happened at all. Were you got this I would really like to know. Every single article said that Minny called us shopping Bennett not the other way around, and we declined.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
Why give him carries if he doesnt run hard at least??? Does he deserve to play because he was second round pick??

Read the thread, I'm agreeing with those that don't agree with you. I don't see JJ not running hard; I see him with a light bulb over his head showing him starting to get it.

He ran hard on Sunday; he didn't in the first two games. He has been in the last few.

Especially read Russ' post that describes his touches in detail. Don't worry, it's not long...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Um what are you talking about. That isnt what happened at all. Were you got this I would really like to know. Every single article said that Minny called us shopping Bennett not the other way around, and we declined.

I'm still trying to figure out how Green wanting Bennett because JJ sucks agrees with Green tending to get enamored with his guys and that's why he drafted JJ?

But then I'm still trying to figure out where all those hidden fumbles at Cal went.

Here's a side question, does anybody know what JJ is short for? I was looking the other day and I can't find anything that lists his full name.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Here's a side question, does anybody know what JJ is short for? I was looking the other day and I can't find anything that lists his full name.

Just Jukes?

Jenga Jihad?

Jib Jab? (good job with those cartoons JJ, if true).

Jenna Jameson?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just guessing here, but the Nashville, NC internet white pages lists 2 Johns and a James from that area. Maybe he is John or James Junior. :shrug:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... or maybe he is named after JJ on Good Times TV show of the 70s.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Just guessing here, but the Nashville, NC internet white pages lists 2 Johns and a James from that area. Maybe he is John or James Junior. :shrug:

I have no idea, everywhere i google, even wikipedia, says J.J. Just one of those things that will annoy me until I get the answer.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I have no idea, everywhere i google, even wikipedia, says J.J. Just one of those things that will annoy me until I get the answer.

Why don't you e mail the Cardinals Sports info office.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05