ASU New Coach - Todd Graham from Pitt

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
“What we sought in a football coach was someone who would be in it for the long term at Arizona State, who would build and guide a program that would be competitive in the Pac-12 and on a national level year after year after year... In Todd Graham we have that person,” says ASU President Dr. Michael Crow.

Kind of a curious statement when you consider Graham's history. I'm sure Rice, Tulsa and Pitt got a good laugh out of it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kind of a curious statement when you consider Graham's history. I'm sure Rice, Tulsa and Pitt got a good laugh out of it.

Yep...I'm sure you can find similarly entertaining quotes RE: Rich Rod and Leach, but there's no two ways about it, this entire search has been a farce.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yep...I'm sure you can find similarly entertaining quotes RE: Rich Rod and Leach, but there's no two ways about it, this entire search has been a farce.
I'm surprised there was no mention of Rich Rod. Graham's distaste for RR played definitely played a role in him getting hired here since it's something after all this they could sell to discouraged ASU faithful. It will be interesting, guarantee you that.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there was no mention of Rich Rod. Graham's distaste for RR played definitely played a role in him getting hired here since it's something after all this they could sell to discouraged ASU faithful. It will be interesting, guarantee you that.

If they simply wanted someone who hated Rich Rod, they should have just hired Jim Leavitt.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I appreciate your enthusiasm and "half full" approach, but a few things I wanted to break down...

Thanks for sharing that, feel free to tell us more.

3. Calling his departing staff mercenaries, I probably would have called them worse. That must have stung a bit.

Yet, this is a guy who told Rice he was "with them for the long haul," and even VERBALLY AGREED to a contract extension, then jumped ship to Tulsa literally later that hour, then jumped from Pitt after one year, and let his team know by TEXT message.

We're talking a guy who's ditched TWO schools now after just one year. Doesn't that kinda seem hypocritical to you for him to call ANYONE mercenaries?

4. On his staff leaving: 1) I don't blame them, I would much rather live in AZ than in Pittsburg.

I would too, but that's neither here nor there. The guy just earlier THIS YEAR signed a contract with Pitt, and several weeks ago pledged his committment to the team, then jumped at the first opportunity that even looked remotely enticing to him.

3) It is more exciting to come out West and try to build something than to stay at Pitt.

Do you honestly think he'll be here long enough to set up roots and build something? Don't be surprised if the minute Texas tells Mack Brown to move up the chain of command and off the sidelines, he's on the phone with UT admins and drooling like Pavlov's dog.

Don't get your hopes up that he sticks. Pitt and Rice will both tell you otherwise.

5. On the text to players, indeed this would have been better at a team meeting. But we've seen this happen before due to timing issues. He had to come out to finalize things and perhaps finish off negotiations. ASU was probably pressuring him to get this done quickly due to the complainers about how long this was taking. Since it wasn't finalized at the time he flew out here, if he hadn't sent the text, his players would have found out about it on ESPN. THAT would have been even worse, no?

It's dirty.. No way around it. How he did it was wrong. He owed it to them, people he preached loyalty and commitment to, to give them the dignity of a face to face. Then again, this guy threw his Oline and QB under so many busses, each of these respective gentlemen have tire tracks permanently engraved on their backsides.

7. This guy may be able to get Burfict on tract with his disciplined approach. That would be absolutely huge next year.

Burfict will be declaring for the draft. I'm almost sure of that.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

He hates Dana Holgorsen too.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago he affirmed with his AD he was staying at Pittsburgh and happy. He called his AD Tuesday night to ask for permission. AD said no, and come in we have to talk about this. An hour later Graham resigned for "personal family reasons." He then texted his S&C coach a text message to pass on to players. Then he and his wife boarded a private jet to Phoenix.

"Obviously this is not the way we would have expected Mr. Graham to handle any possible departure," Pitt executive vice chancellor and general counsel Jerry Cochran said. "Beyond normal expectations with respect to professional conduct, he has failed to comply with the terms of his contract."

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago he affirmed with his AD he was staying at Pittsburgh and happy. He called his AD Tuesday night to ask for permission. AD said no, and come in we have to talk about this. An hour later Graham resigned for "personal family reasons." He then texted his S&C coach a text message to pass on to players. Then he and his wife boarded a private jet to Phoenix.

Sounds like a great character guy to the be leader of young men.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meet your new ASU head coach:

You must be registered for see images attach

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Yep.. Not in the least bit surprising.

ASU went hunting for a coach and hired a snake oil salesman.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The best part of it is the hypocrisy in not considering a Leach or Leavitt, far more accomplished coaches.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Not playing Devil's Advocate here, but comparing Graham's transgressions to the ones allegedly committed by Leach and Leavitt are two different animals.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Slime leaving slime.

Pitt, who is ditching the Big East for greener pastures themselves, hardly has a leg to stand on in the loyality category, since they bolted for the ACC right after affirming their committment to the Big East

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

He supposedly did the same thing to Rice. Got this from a Rice fan, so FWIW:

Well, congrats on getting on the Graham Train...watch your back. Here is how he left Rice; gave Rice one of the best seasons in YEARS and wanted to renegotiate his contract. Understandable. Reached an agreement in mid January on an extension, but he wanted to do away with the buy-out. Once it was signed, he left for Tulsa THE NEXT FREAKING DAY! Set the program back years.

If the warden from Shawshank were a football coach, he'd be Todd Graham.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few of you say give the guy a chance. OK, I will give him the chance to prove he is not a crap coach. Until that time....he is a crap coach.

:barf:

How does Lisa Love still even have a job?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance ASU fans can get on board with this hire?

It was an unexpected hire, but I would like to feel there is some hope for the ASU program. I guess I will let it play out before going negative. Maybe this still can turn out to be a positive hire.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Any chance ASU fans can get on board with this hire?

It was an unexpected hire, but I would like to feel there is some hope for the ASU program. I guess I will let it play out before going negative. Maybe this still can turn out to be a positive hire.

Sure, I'm on board but don't get too comfortable with him being here for long.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
So many coaches tell college programs they're not going anywhere & then do. Todd's just bettering himself & his family just like others! Each time Graham has moved its been an upgrade & who can blame him...it's all about timing & openings. He will turn ASU around in 2 years guaranteed!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is going to be a televised press conference? If so, where.