Reaction score
Dude, 4 straight hits...Elmer needs to sit down

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great pitching by Randolph, still 3-2 top of the 7th and Sheets is out of the game.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Danny Bautista is on fire.....well compared to the rest of the team

AZZenny

Reaction score
Elmer's meltdown was so predictable - when has he made it past the fifth inning? Maybe twice all last season?

We are still basically playing barely-watchable baseball; lots of goofs and carelessness - Never thought I'd miss Showalter. Couple weeks of him might give these guys a serious wake-up.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now down 4-2. If the Diamondbacks lose this game I am going to start the season thread because it brought some good luck when I started it last year.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way Finley should be batting first. I would put Kata at the leadoff spot and then bat Cintron, Gonzo, Sexson, Bautista, Shea, Finley Hammock and the pitcher.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only thing that I don't like about Sexson is that he strikes out too damn much.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, nothing worse than having crappy Brewer fans taunt you. :(

I thought Elmer did OK, up until his last inning. I really thought we'd take this game, though.

Let's hope Randy and Webb stick it to 'em!

AZZenny

Reaction score
I like Matt Kata a lot, but his plate discipline sux worse than last year. His OBP is no different than Finley's, so he's not really much improvement as lead-off - now, Cintron might be a real interesting lead-off hitter, his OBP is good - for this team. Or - hey, I got an idea - how about Chad Tracy?!! His OBP isn't too shabby. Or - or Terrero! :p
I hope Hammock continues the patience at the plate he was starting to show on his rehab assignment - our babyback players are pretty impatient, but then, who is modelling anything different for them?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kata has not played enough. I think if he was given the chance to lead off he would be more discipline. He can't do a worse job then Finley has done so far.

AZDbackfan22

Reaction score
I agree with what one person said why not have Cintron move up to the leadoff spot alteast he can put good contact on the ball and get basehits unlike Finley. Also where do you guys think Tracey will bat in the lineup now that he has been called up? I also thought the Alamar signing was not a bad one at first he does play good defense but he really has no hitting power and struggles to get base hits. I know this isnt the way Tracey wanted to get called up but atleast we might have more power with him in the lineup instead of Alamar. Sorry guys i'm a little nervous this is only my 2nd post i'm new to the board and i've been a fan of the Arizona Diamondbacks since they moved to Arizona. So make me feel welcome :) GO DBACKS!!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Elmer just gave up a 2-run home run to Jenkins. Elmer is a 5-inning pitcher.
Everybody in the world seems to know that except Bo.......... oh, what's the use. :bang:

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
My seats at Miller Park were right next to the "Buckethead" fans - they were rather amusing, and not as obnoxious as the Cubs fans I dealt with in Cincy on opening week. Now to the game:

Dessens pitched pretty well, although he seems to have that area around the fifth/sixth inning that he just shuts down; I thought he could have still pitched, but the fielding lapse in RF (along with a HR to Jenkins) did him in. Gonzo looked like he tried to launch one from LF last night, so it might just be a matter of time before his elbow goes bye-bye - we better have a back-up plan ready, and soon!! Counsell took second on what looked like a routine single because of Gonzo's elbow, so pulling him for defense might be a real good idea for BB. The stadium was rather empty last night, so it was easy to hear the sound of Alomar's HBP (ouch!) - I hate the circumstances involved, but I am glad they are bringing up Chad Tracy, and I hope BB decides that Shea needs a rest so Chad can get a chance to play (leadoff??).

AZZenny

Reaction score
I don't recall so many hits scooting along the LF line before - but maybe I'm just seing them because Shea sure as heck can't stop them, and Gonzo looks pretty lost out there. He looks slower, not just tentative with that arm.

BB from today's paper:
"We had Stephen go out and start warming up when Elmer took the mound for the bottom of the sixth," Brenly said, "and before Stephen could even get close to loose, we were behind. First pitch to Spivey. Second pitch to Jenkins. First pitch to Overbay. Third pitch to Helms.

"I don't know what else to do short of having somebody loosen up every inning he goes out there. You just never know when it's going to happen."

Dessens hasn't made it beyond the seventh inning in any of his 33 career starts for the Diamondbacks.

You do wonder, don't you, how come every fan in the state (and beyond!) knows that Elmer cannot make it past the fifth inning, but the coaches seem oblivious :confused: - he's gotten through a good 6th inning maybe 3 or 4 times in his career, so they think he must be capable of it. Magical thinking. It is such a predictable pattern - Stop 'hoping' otherwise, Brenly -if he pitches four innings OK, you start slowly warming someone up THEN. You never, ever push him past the fifth inning. He is half a starter at best. What wasted dollars.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant fathom this... Brewers pitcher Doug Davis has only thrown 49 pitches (34 for strikes) through 5 innings.....

Who do you hold accountable for this inept offense?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay...Finley gets ejected on a questionable strike call, so who's available to go into CF? Sadler?

I hope that this will ignite some spark...something must or else the Dbacks are doomed.....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kata...the "Ignitor" does it again by driving in the Dbacks 1st run..... He just continues to impress me night in and night out....

AZZenny

Reaction score
Go Danny! wonderful. And Kata is making the most of his renewed opportunity. He;s hitting like he was in Spring Training. Take that, GMJoeBlows.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Okay...Finley gets ejected on a questionable strike call, so who's available to go into CF? Sadler?

I hope that this will ignite some spark...something must or else the Dbacks are doomed.....

The individual spark is coming from Kata and Bautista right now.

For our offense to be consistent, I believe the "team spark" depends on which mentality guides the lineup -- swing for the seats on every pitch (as we have been doing) or good situational hitting (from everyone except perhaps Sexson).

We do have the potential to be a solid line drive hitting team . . . Kata, Cintron, Gonzo (the best situational hitter on the team--despite his 57 homerun year), Hillenbrand, Bautista.

That would leave Finley as the only fossil. The less you try to hit every ball into the air, the more HR's you'll wind up hitting.

If we do that, it will not only improve the offense. It will give our pitching staff (starters and relievers) breathing room, and make them better.

We're on the brink of it. I hope we don't lose it.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC867 said:
The individual spark is coming from Kata and Bautista right now.

For our offense to be consistent, I believe the "team spark" depends on which mentality guides the lineup -- swing for the seats on every pitch (as we have been doing) or good situational hitting (from everyone except perhaps Sexson).

We do have the potential to be a solid line drive hitting team . . . Kata, Cintron, Gonzo (the best situational hitter on the team--despite his 57 homerun year), Hillenbrand, Bautista.

That would leave Finley as the only fossil. The less you try to hit every ball into the air, the more HR's you'll wind up hitting.

If we do that, it will not only improve the offense. It will give our pitching staff (starters and relievers) breathing room, and make them better.

We're on the brink of it. I hope we don't lose it.
I agree that Finley should probably be benched since he's been too streaky for most of his career and seems to have been pressing a little bit too much as of late... I would definitely promote Terrero and eventually Victor Hall (who appears he's being groomed as Finley's heir-apparent)....

I know Dwayne Murphy was everyone's scape-goat last season, however, it's senseless to blame the coach....What's hilarious is that the veterans have been pulling the ball excessively,while the younger players have dominated... Perhaps (I'll contradict myself here) that Rick Schu was making a difference...

I thought Rod Carew was probably the most underrated hitter in the history of baseball... He never put up "MVP" type stats, but he had the best approach of any hitter.... He was consistantly patient and his line-drive hitting would allow him to produce the "long-ball" whenever the situation would necessitate...