ATL releases Crumpler, Leftwich, five others

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Falcons release seven players, including Crumpler

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight eend Alge Crumpler, quarterback quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

Teh team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

"This is a difficult day for the entire organization," Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement from the team. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level and we greatly appreciate their efforts. These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans."

Crumpler, who just completed his seventh season, all with Atlanta, has 316 career catches for 4,212 yards and 35 touchdowns. He had been with the team since 2001 and was selected to five Pro Bowls.

Leftwich, formerly a starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was acquired by the Falcons during the season, was acquired by the Falcons after the Jaguars released him in order to go with David Garrard. He alternated with Joey Harrington as the Falcons' starter last season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling Crumpler was done there.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Those are actually a few decent players. *If* we can get our cap worked out through a Fitz restructure, and take care of Dansby and Pace, I wouldn't mind seeing Crumpler. Gandy is also decent, but only makes sense if we move our Gandy to G. Coleman used to be decent I'm not sure how he is now. Leftwich for the cheap would be good but otherwise I'd pass.

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
How drunk were they when they wrote that??

quarterback quarterback Byron Leftwich

wouldn't that make him a nickelback :)

tight eend???

Modern journalism.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crumpler was to fat to play anymore

Wow. That's a pretty ridiculous comment.

Crumpler is just as good as Jason Witten and probably better than Jeremy Shockey. He's a better blocker than both of them. It's not his fault that he had a terrible coach who didn't like TEs and didn't have anything resembling a quarterback throwing to him.

He'll be 31 years old by the end of next season. Crumpler has a lot left in the tank. I don't think he's a great fit for this franchise, but for a team like Minnesota, who needs a reliable outlet at TE to help a young QB and a strong in-line blocker? What a fantastic fit.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's a pretty ridiculous comment.

Crumpler is just as good as Jason Witten and probably better than Jeremy Shockey. He's a better blocker than both of them. It's not his fault that he had a terrible coach who didn't like TEs and didn't have anything resembling a quarterback throwing to him.

He'll be 31 years old by the end of next season. Crumpler has a lot left in the tank. I don't think he's a great fit for this franchise, but for a team like Minnesota, who needs a reliable outlet at TE to help a young QB and a strong in-line blocker? What a fantastic fit.

No.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i'm really hoping crumpler comes to seattle

between the mora/ruskell factor and the carlester effect he's exactly what they could use

ryan hannam was a very big part of the running game with his blocking - alge can help block and catch

my fingers are crossed

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Those are actually a few decent players. *If* we can get our cap worked out through a Fitz restructure, and take care of Dansby and Pace, I wouldn't mind seeing Crumpler. Gandy is also decent, but only makes sense if we move our Gandy to G. Coleman used to be decent I'm not sure how he is now. Leftwich for the cheap would be good but otherwise I'd pass.

G. Coleman....is that Gary Coleman?
You must be registered for see images

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I'd bring in Crumpler if the price was right obviously. Atlanta has been one of the top rushing teams in the league for awhile so he prolly can block.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bring in Crumpler if the price was right obviously. Atlanta has been one of the top rushing teams in the league for awhile so he prolly can block.

No doubt about it. He can block. In fact, he can block what two of our own TE's together can't do.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Gandy?
Crumpler?
:bhiich:

I think Coleman could play 3-4 De but the Cards wouldn't sign him.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
Coleman would be a better option at S than Holt. At least Coleman could deflect some passes.

With John Lott training Crumpler in the offseason, it's not a stretch that Whis might ask Graves to express some interest in him and at least try to sign him. Pope with Crumpler is a good combination if the salary cap isn't hurt too much. We all know Whis loves blocking TE's and I don't see any being drafted this year so why not?

I'd love to have Alge wearing red next year.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Alge Crumpler will be a good signing for another team. Not now for the Cardinals.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alge Crumpler will be a good signing for another team. Not now for the Cardinals.

Alge Crumpler has bad knees. That and a $5 mill cap figure are why he got cut. Agree with not now for the Cards. Bad knees are bad knees.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No doubt about it. He can block. In fact, he can block what two of our own TE's together can't do.

I don't have the time to check, but was Crumpler a stud his first year or two in the NFL??

I think given his cap hit, coupled with the fact that BOTH Patrick and Pope have shown enough to warrant further examination, we should stay clear of Alge...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have put them in the same category before last year. In fact, I thought/felt Crumpler was better than Witten, until this year.
Once they hired Petrino you knew Crumpler was either gonna have a horrible year or get cut. There really is no TE in his offense.