AYTON TRADED!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If the plus/minus is to be believed, he was their best starter by a wide margin.
Toumani had the best +/- with +13.

Ayton had 5 fouls in just 20 minutes of action. This could be a very ugly year for him if he isn't able to get more involved offensively.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the plus/minus is to be believed, he was their best starter by a wide margin.
Probably due to the fact he was taken out in under 4 minutes due to foul trouble and got a lot of garbage time towards the end of the game when it was already decided.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted to feel good about Aytons poor performance tonight.
But after watching him stand around just watching the game go by it's just kinda sad.

Yeah, it was past time for a move to be made but I'm not getting any schadenfreude from his poor performance.

I think he's going to find out the hard way that no other team is going to be as invested in having him succeed as the Suns were.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will admit what he has done in Portland has surprised me so far. I expected more effort from him not less.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to feel good about Aytons poor performance tonight.
But after watching him stand around just watching the game go by it's just kinda sad.

For me, it's let the chips fall where they may. He wanted out of Phoenix and got his wish.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
For me, it's let the chips fall where they may. He wanted out of Phoenix and got his wish.
It's just interesting that he may very well score less and be on a worse team at the same time. He really forced his way out of a good situation and probably doesn't even realize it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just interesting that he may very well score less and be on a worse team at the same time. He really forced his way out of a good situation and probably doesn't even realize it.

My guess is Ayton blames his lack of progression as a player on the Suns rather than looking in the mirror.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone thought Ayton would be a more potent offensive weapon playing with Scoot Henderson than he was with Chris Paul.
Not sure anybody thought that. I think the prevailing thought is the Suns didn't develop him to be a primary option on offense. The Suns were in win now mode....not let's take the next several years to slowly develop him mode. He was fed most of his shots. There are going to be teams that think they can develop his game to be a primary option. I think there is SOME truth to that but I think the Suns not using him that way BUT he lacks the IQ to play that way as well which IMO the Suns recognized.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A little off topic, but Scoot also didn't look good in pre-season and his debut. But Ayton is just after checks, that's it.

Billups sucks?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A little off topic, but Scoot also didn't look good in pre-season and his debut. But Ayton is just after checks, that's it.

Billups sucks?

Henderson isn't good. I don't understand why he ended up going so high. In the G-league last year, he shot .429 overall and .275 from three-point range. His assist/turnover ratio is only 2.0. Small athletic guards who don't shoot well and aren't effective at PG rarely amount to much in the NBA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Henderson isn't good. I don't understand why he ended up going so high. In the G-league last year, he shot .429 overall and .275 from three-point range. His assist/turnover ratio is only 2.0. Small athletic guards who don't shoot well and aren't effective at PG rarely amount to much in the NBA.
That was also an 18 year old playing against grown men. The outside shooting is a bit concerning, but I wouldn't be too worried about anything else stats wise. Keep in mind that assists and to a lesser extent turnovers are directly affected by the players you are passing to.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That was also an 18 year old playing against grown men. The outside shooting is a bit concerning, but I wouldn't be too worried about anything else stats wise. Keep in mind that assists and to a lesser extent turnovers are directly affected by the players you are passing to.

All the more reason not to reach in the draft for players who have made their name against low-level competition.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
All the more reason not to reach in the draft for players who have made their name against low-level competition.
You do realize that by this logic you can't draft anyone out of college because they faced low level competition? The G-league is full of guys that were good in college or overseas.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You do realize that by this logic you can't draft anyone out of college because they faced low level competition? The G-league is full of guys that were good in college or overseas.
Aren't there young guards who shoot well in college and take better care of the ball? I'm not saying Henderson can't improve or has no future, only that it's very unlikely he'll prove to be the best small guard taken in the last draft.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone thought Ayton would be a more potent offensive weapon playing with Scoot Henderson than he was with Chris Paul.

The assumption is that Ayton should get more shot attempts on a team with fewer proven scorers. The flaw in this thinking is that Ayton cannot create shots effectively and also does not like to take bad shots. This is why his field goal percentage was always so high, but also why it was a meaningless stat.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The assumption is that Ayton should get more shot attempts on a team with fewer proven scorers. The flaw in this thinking is that Ayton cannot create shots effectively and also does not like to take bad shots. This is why his field goal percentage was always so high, but also why it was a meaningless stat.
The year before the Suns got CP3, Ayton took about 15 shots per game and a lot of them were lower percentage mid range shots. That would suggest that he is willing to take those shots, but maybe is struggling to find touches in that area of the floor with Portland.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta give this round to Ayton but it's close

You must be registered for see images attach
If you're going purely by stats, DA's first game of the season is a solid step above Nurk's second game. Ayton had 3 more rebounds in 5 fewer minutes, shot .500 from the floor to Jusuf's .200, had 1 fewer turnover, and 1 block to Nurk's 0 although the assist numbers go the other way (3 to 1 for Nurk). But, those are just numbers, they never tell the whole story. And it's also worth considering the matchups. Ayton once again got abused by Clipper centers, Nurkic got dominated by AD who is still among the league's best big men.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22