AYTON TRADED!

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wanted to feel good about Aytons poor performance tonight.
But after watching him stand around just watching the game go by it's just kinda sad.
This is the perfect summation of why Ayton is so disappointing.

I was a poor-shooting 6-3 small forward who got cut from the high school team.

Being 7 feet tall with incredible amounts of physical talent would have been a dream for me and countless others. It seems like he just doesn’t care. It boggles my mind. Like, how?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Being 7 feet tall with incredible amounts of physical talent would have been a dream for me and countless others. It seems like he just doesn’t care. It boggles my mind. Like, how?
It's been clear from early on, guy just doesn't have the dog in him. You can't teach that.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it make sense to compare game 1 to game 1 and game 2 to game 2? That actually fits your "round" specs. In round 1, Nurk definitely won, but Ayton hasn't played his 2nd game yet.
Yep, game 1 to game 1 then game 2 to game 2 and then compare the cumulative averages. Are we really going to do this all season long? Time to move on, I'd say. We fumbled our first ever #1 overall pick and that's the facts. Bygones. Move forward with a brave face.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that this means much of anything because it's too soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

You gotta compare FT attempts as that is one of Ayton's weakest areas. Playing through contact.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Really more and more, he is reminiscent of Joe Barry Carroll, for anyone that remembers his career.

Carroll also had a ton of physical ability, but just clearly didn't enjoy playing pro basketball beyond making a lucrative living at it. He had some good statistical years but never came close to maximizing his output nor having the impact he could/should have. After a while, even the money aspect wasn't enough motivation for him and it was apparent he mostly hated playing in the NBA after the first half dozen years he was in the league.

And by all accounts, Carroll wasn't a bad guy or disruptive influence. He clearly just didn't care for what ended up being his major career, probably not so different than many other people but just in a higher profile way. After basketball, he went on to other successful ventures.

It's pretty easy to see Ayton's career going in exactly the same direction, and probably for essentially the same reason. At the end of the day, pro basketball is just a way to make money for him and he really isn't motivated by anything more than that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really more and more, he is reminiscent of Joe Barry Carroll, for anyone that remembers his career.

Carroll also had a ton of physical ability, but just clearly didn't enjoy playing pro basketball beyond making a lucrative living at it. He had some good statistical years but never came close to maximizing his output nor having the impact he could/should have. After a while, even the money aspect wasn't enough motivation for him and it was apparent he mostly hated playing in the NBA after the first half dozen years he was in the league.

And by all accounts, Carroll wasn't a bad guy or disruptive influence. He clearly just didn't care for what ended up being his major career, probably not so different than many other people but just in a higher profile way. After basketball, he went on to other successful ventures.

It's pretty easy to see Ayton's career going in exactly the same direction, and probably for essentially the same reason. At the end of the day, pro basketball is just a way to make money for him and he really isn't motivated by anything more than that.
It’s interesting, I just went and looked at his stats. I never knew Joe Barely Cares’ stats were as good as they were for his first 6 seasons. And he made an all star game. When I think unfulfilled potential as a center it’s always Benoit Benjamin that comes to mind for me.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It’s interesting, I just went and looked at his stats. I never knew Joe Barely Cares’ stats were as good as they were for his first 6 seasons. And he made an all star game. When I think unfulfilled potential as a center it’s always Benoit Benjamin that comes to mind for me.
I think Benoit Benjamin's failures were more of a case of being immature and uncoachable. He also had drug issues during his career and some run-ins with the law after it. His troubles were mostly of his own making.

It's possible that Ayton could go that route if his inconsistent performance issues are perchance addiction related. At this point, one can only speculate about that. But he doesn't generally seem like a troubled guy, but more just unmotivated.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton does seem to enjoy basketball. He plays 2k all the time. Yeah, it's a video game but there are thousands of games out there he could be playing but he spends the most time on 2k.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again though, no FTs taken. He also had a couple turnovers where he was stripped trying to make a dribble move like we've seen many times. Also fumbled a couple passes. Six of his points came in the first three minutes of the game and six in the final three minutes of the game. The other two were 3 minutes into the 2nd half.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not that this means much of anything because it's too soon.

One gives you 70 games a season, the other gives you just 40. Best stat is availability. Ayton will give you an reliable jumpshot at the f/t line as well. I still don’t like this trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One gives you 70 games a season, the other gives you just 40. Best stat is availability. Ayton will give you an reliable jumpshot at the f/t line as well. I still don’t like this trade.
The 70 to 40 is a real stretch. In the past 5 seasons, one of which Nurkic only played 8 games due to a single injury, Ayton has played in 75 more games than Jusuf which I believe averages out to a 15 game per year advantage.

I'm not in love with the trade. In fact, I hated it at first. Mostly I hated it because having failed for a few years to get value for him we decided to sell really low. Usually the team that accepts coins for a dollar is the one left holding the bag but in this case, if we did get screwed it wasn't by very much. And at the very least, we rid ourselves of a huge distraction.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Newsflash Nurkic is not as physically blessed as Ayton. Ayton will possibly be better if/when he gets his head out of his bum.
We dumped him because he was soft, had no heart and might be stupid beyond just his low BB IQ.
I don't regret this trade for a second, he had to go and there was no way we were getting anything of major value back. But we knew that.

We don't need a monster at the 5 anymore and honestly we never had one. We need a facilitator that can walk and chew gum at the same time, few rebounds a few assists some hard fouls under the rim at the appropriate time. Someone who won't stand around watching in awe as Jokic pushes his **** in.
Nurk can do that, Grayson and Little will help.
I'm all good with Ayton in Portland. It's a good place for him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What we get in Eubanks and Nurk exceeds what Ayton provided and without the distraction and without the overpaid contract! We got better pieces for this team. They don’t stand around they both take it to the basket strong, Nurk is a far superior ball handler and playmaker! Just let Ayton be Portlands problem now, can’t be more happy he’s not here anymore tired of his shtick!

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton has all the physical tools to be a top 5 center. His offensive game surpasses Nurk. And he stays relatively healthy. If we are to make a deep playoff run then Nurk needs to be healthy and I just don’t see it.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton has all the physical tools to be a top 5 center. His offensive game surpasses Nurk. And he stays relatively healthy. If we are to make a deep playoff run then Nurk needs to be healthy and I just don’t see it.
I cant believe there are people who still keep saying this crap.... DA is trash, and no he wont be anything but a check casher

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt that Ayton it he more talented player. Hands down.
There is zero doubt Ayton is the more talented player. Hands down. I was not a fan of this trade at all. Jury is still out for me and likely will be for some time. However, I have to acknowledge that Nurkic might be the better fit for this team and what the team needs now.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, not the brains or desire.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has all the tools except for the brain, mentality, handle, playmaking ability, dude is just not got it not sure what guy your watching…