Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0718suns0718.html

Suns' free-agent focus shifts to guard Banks

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 18, 2006

One way or another, the Suns are determined to emerge from a quiet summer with someone to relieve Steve Nash more frequently.

By the end of the week, that man could be Marcus Banks.

Phoenix is getting serious about signing Banks, an unrestricted free agent who finished last season as Minnesota's starting point guard after being traded from Boston.

Banks is allowed to sign a deal for up to six years but might agree to less considering his age, 24, and Nash's three remaining guaranteed contract years. It would take a large chunk of Phoenix's $5.2 million midlevel exception to close the deal but probably would not be far removed from the $3.7 million salary that John Salmons turned down Thursday.

Banks, a Las Vegas native, attracted initial interest from the Los Angeles Lakers until they signed Vladimir Radmanovic, Minnesota until it signed Mike James and Atlanta until it signed Speedy Claxton. Cleveland's interest also has cooled, leaving the Suns to duel with Houston and Miami. The Rockets also have all of their midlevel exception remaining.

Banks, the No. 13 overall selection in the 2003 draft, was used sparingly in 2 1/2 seasons with Boston, which declined his option year before trading him to Minnesota. He started 28 of 40 games with the Timberwolves, averaging 12.0 points, 4.7 assists and 1.2 steals in 30.7 minutes per game.

Phoenix wants to improve its backcourt size, but Banks, even at 6 feet 2, is a noted defender who could help the Suns reach their goal of cutting about five minutes off Nash's career-high 35.4-minute average last season.

Well at least we know who we're going after. Get it done

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just do SOMETHING before Chap, Ouchie and I kill each other.

Get it done. I'm all on the Marcus Banks bandwagon.

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope it works. I think it will be more than enough for our backcourt. :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm also on the Banks bandwagon. He'd be a great addition--not perfect, but decent.

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
I would rather have Lucas than Banks. Lucas is a more pure PG, while banks is a scoring PG. He is really quick and can take it to the hole, but we dont need no selfish guys on this team.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
amareq said:
I would rather have Lucas than Banks. Lucas is a more pure PG, while banks is a scoring PG. He is really quick and can take it to the hole, but we dont need no selfish guys on this team.

Lucas play in the summer league says otherwise.

And Banks is proving againts NBA players, Lucas is proven againts summer league talent and a few kids in the NBA.

Not to mention that Banks is bigger and a better defender, while still being a good offensive player.

If it were my money i'd sign both, that way Barbosa can focus on only playing backup SG.

Nothing wrong with having solid backcourt depth.

Last edited:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Lucas hasn't proven anything in the NBA. Banks has and not only has he proved he can play he has proved he can start on a team trying to make the playoffs and putting up pretty good stats as well. He played really well for Minny and I'm shocked they decided to go with a 31 year old guard rather than sticking with the young and talented Banks

Errntknght

Reaction score
amareq, "I would rather have Lucas than Banks. Lucas is a more pure PG, while banks is a scoring PG. He is really quick and can take it to the hole, but we dont need no selfish guys on this team."

Lucas may work out better in the long run but at this point and on this team I'd prefer Banks, assuming he is a "noted" defender, as the article said of him. He weighs in at 200 lbs. which is a good sign. I don't care if he's a bit selfish, he assists at a significantly higher rate than Barbosa, who isn't selfish.

My guess is that he's going to go for the full MLE.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
just do SOMETHING before Chap, Ouchie and I kill each other.

Get it done. I'm all on the Marcus Banks bandwagon.

If nothing is done, I may be forced to kill all 3 of you. :) However, the bickering does provide great entertainment.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
amareq said:

For two reports I've gotten on Lucas in the summer league were this. Andy said he got turned off by Lucas when he watched for the guy continually dribbled out the entire shot clock without even passing to his teammates one time. Isn't there some discussion as to whether the Phoenix Suns even offered Lucas a contract as one of these web sites first reported?

One of our loggers who scouting abilities I trust did one of John Lucas' games from Las Vegas yesterday. They are being tape delayed on NBA TV throughout the month. I asked him to watch Lucas specifically, and here's what he reported...

"By the way, John Lucas had a terrible first half and a productive
second half. He showed that he could get to the basket rather regularly and
easily. However, it appeared prominantely that he is continuely a shoot
first, pass second point guard. His skills are not THAT good, however, to
treat the position the way he does. He needs to get his teammates involved a little more than he did. We'll keep a watch on him, nonetheless."

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than heigth, I think Banks is a better fit for the Suns than Salmons --because he can shoot. This means he could play along side Nash in addition to backing him up.

Of the two teams the Suns are supposed to be competing with, the Heat are probably the bigger threat. Like the Suns have a solid rotation, so if the money is similar, the key may be playing style.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am mention the Houston Rockets can offer more playing time. If the money's the same, playing time might be the next biggest factor.

Joe

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Are we then just waiting to see how the Suns will lose out of this one too? Get it DONE!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love them to get this guy too. However, does anybody else see a problem with this statement:

"Banks is allowed to sign a deal for up to six years but might agree to less considering his age, 24.."

This has been the Suns problem. Banking on a guy to play here for less. I am just not getting my hopes up anymore for any guys the Suns try to get for a discount.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure about Banks... he was ALMOST worth a waiver-wire pickup in fantasy basketball last year. I used to use the fantasy basketball test to determine whether any player was worth acquiring (Did they make a fantasy squad in my league last year?), but Raja made it clear that that's an imperfect test.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Muggum said:
Not sure about Banks... he was ALMOST worth a waiver-wire pickup in fantasy basketball last year. I used to use the fantasy basketball test to determine whether any player was worth acquiring (Did they make a fantasy squad in my league last year?), but Raja made it clear that that's an imperfect test.

Muggum, there is a big difference between Fantasy League and NBA.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Other than heigth, I think Banks is a better fit for the Suns than Salmons --because he can shoot.

Banks isn't famous because of his shooting. I think that he is quite similar to Barbosa except the outside-shooting.

I don't really see how and where Banks could get PT (if the Suns re-sign Barbosa) because the Barbosa-Banks backcourt sounds a bit extreme even at Suns' standards.

nowagimp

Reaction score
amareq said:

Banks is physically a strong 6'2" 200lbs, Lucas is another postable guard, a comparatively skinny 5'11" 165 lbs, he gets bumped around alot. If you think teams target Nash on defense, Lucas will be worse, as he is physically smaller and weaker. Clearly 35 lbs of muscle and 3" height comes in handy against the bigger guards. Banks played in 40 games for the wolves shot 48% FG's and 36.4% from 3. I think he will improve in the suns system in both areas.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with Banks when I saw how much he had improved his all-around game when the T-Wolves played here in Phoenix. I never realized how imposing he was on defense -- he's built and plays like an NFL free safety. He can definitely run the break as a point. I thinks he's a slight liability in the halfcourt, but, as George will say, the coaching staff has already been game planning an offense that doesn't rely on the two-man game when Nash is on the sidelines.

I'm a little surprised the Suns are interested because, frankly, many of us liked him at the start of free agency. The synergy feels awkward. I do think he's the ideal backup point guard for this team given the options we had this year.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Banks may be one of those players that takes 4 years to become a good player in the NBA. But Boston gave up on him and did not pick up his option, which tells me that Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers did not want him back.

At this point I think the suns messed up by not being ready to draft Marcus Williams on the 21st pick. I personally think that Williams is going to be a better player than Banks, and depending on what they pay Banks, Williams would have been a bargain.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is something about this FA signing period that strikes me as strange about the Suns. It maybe because I was so used to the way the C's operated.

I was always used to the Suns locking-up players before announcing their interest by giving the player their best offer right out of the gate. Now it seems that the Suns announce their interest in a FA player and hope they can get him through prolonged negotiations which invariably allows other teams to compete. If the Suns really want Banks, he should have been given the Suns best offer straight out and then the Suns should have moved on if he was not willing to accept it. I know that some signings and/or trades are more difficult than others but this shouldn't be one of them. The Suns should have signed Banks already or working on obtaining another player.

I hope Sarver understands this is the reason why Diaw and hopefully Barbosa should be extended this summer and also why Joe Johnson should have extended the summer before he became a RFA. When other teams are given the opportunity to get involved, there is a much better chance a team loses the player they want.

In FA, if the Suns really want a player they should strike quickly and hard. Now if they want to bargain shop at the thrift store... that is another matter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Banks may be one of those players that takes 4 years to become a good player in the NBA. But Boston gave up on him and did not pick up his option, which tells me that Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers did not want him back.

At this point I think the suns messed up by not being ready to draft Marcus Williams on the 21st pick. I personally think that Williams is going to be a better player than Banks, and depending on what they pay Banks, Williams would have been a bargain.

Didn't Boston give up on Joe Johnson, at least based upon the trade they made with the Suns? Yes, I know the Celtics were trying to make a playoff run... but the Suns only gave up Delk and Rodgers as I recall. There were probably some other pieces in that trade but I don't remember.

As I recollect Joe Johnson paid dividends immediately (although streaky) from the time the Suns acquired him. Actually I think JJ played better on the road as he had a confidence problem at home games. Anyway, I would be happy if Banks progressed in a similiar fashion as Joe Johnson, but I think he can help the Suns give back-up minutes behind Nash now (or playing with him or the Suns other guards).

sunsfn

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Didn't Boston give up on Joe Johnson, at least based upon the trade they made with the Suns? Yes, I know the Celtics were trying to make a playoff run... but the Suns only gave up Delk and Rodgers as I recall. There were probably some other pieces in that trade but I don't remember.

As I recollect Joe Johnson paid dividends immediately (although streaky) from the time the Suns acquired him. Actually I think JJ played better on the road as he had a confidence problem at home games. Anyway, I would be happy if Banks progressed in a similiar fashion as Joe Johnson, but I think he can help the Suns give back-up minutes behind Nash now (or playing with him or the Suns other guards).

Mainstreet,

The Celtics traded JJ to the suns in his rookie year, not after having him for 2 1/2 years. They traded him is because they were making a run for the playoffs and Rogers and Delk could give them veteran help at two positions. Also, different coach, G.M. etc.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Using most of the Mid Level exception on him is a bit of a reach IMO. But at this point, with all of the deals that have fallen through, he is better than nothing....atleast he can play some defense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05