BA&SK Draft Plans

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Last year, Steve Keim had the draft plan all laid out. Here's what he was hoping for:

1. Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina. Keim scouted Cooper himself. BA was talking up Levi Brown at the Combine because he already knew Keim was all over Cooper. Plus, Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher were not going to be on the board.

2. Eric Reid, S, LSU. When the 49ers traded up to pick Reid the reaction in the Cardinals' draft room was one of great disappointment. With the way Reid played as a rookie this year, we can see why. Dude can play. However, all hope was not lost because the other player Keim wanted was still on the board come night 2 of the draft. That player? Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford. The Eagles took Ertz three picks ahead of the Cardinals'---which then made it more feasible for the Cardinals to trade out of the #38 pick because they felt that one of the two players they wanted would still be there seven picks later at #45. So they made the deal with the Chargers and for the #45 and #110 picks. The player the Chargers selected (ILB Manti Te'o) happened to be at the position the Cardinals were addressing, but the Cardinals had two ILBers rated higher than Te'o: Kevin Minter and Kiko Alonso.

What the Minter pick also told us was that Keim and his staff were not that high on TE Gavin Escobar, who might have been a nice consolation prize for not being able to draft TE Zach Ertz.

Here's why Keim picked Minter over Alonso: a better compliment to Daryl Washington. Alonso was a better fit at Washington's WILB position. Plus, Keim is big on picking players with leadership qualities. Minter fit the bill. Alonso, interestingly, goes one pick later to the Bills and has a phenomenal rookie season. Had Keim gone with Alonso, chances are, once they signed Karlos Dansby, Alonso would't have seen the field, just as Minter didn't see the field.

BA&SK&TB remain sky high on Minter. It wouldn't be all that surprising that they elect to go with Minter and let Karlos Dansby sign somewhere else if Dansby's price tag is too steep.

3. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU. This was the plan all along---to take Honey Badger in the third round if he was still available. Keim was ecstatic that he was.

4A. Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas. This was the hope...which was dashed when the Bills took him in round 3. So the Cardinals went with plan B---which was to see what players high on their board had slid through the cracks, and the surprise for them was Alex Okafor, OLB/DE, Texas, whom some scouts and draft gurus had rated as a late first rounder.

4B. Brian Schwenke, C, California. He was one of the main reasons why the Cardinals traded down from the #38 pick. Once again, however, Schwenke was taken three picks ahead (#107 Titans) of the Cardinals at #110. With their main target off the board, Keim elected to trade down again, this time with the Giants who picked QB Ryan Nassib at #110. This gave the Cardinals the #116 (Earl Watford, G, James Madison) and the #187 (Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson) picks.

5. Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford. Keim was hoping to be able to draft Taylor here and got his wish, making him three for three on the odd rounds, Cooper, Mathieu and Taylor.

6A. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M. Keim knew this was a risky pick...but he knew this could be a high reward pick, getting one of the fastest slot WRs in the draft. Having a 2nd 6th rounder made this pick all the easier to make.

6B. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson. Ellington slipped because of poor 40 times at the Combine while running on a bad ankle. Credit Steve Keim here for taking BPA even having already taken a RB and already having a RB on the roster like Ellington in Ryan Williams. The fact that Ellington had such versatility was an added appeal.

7. D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers. This pick was by far the most surprising and it happened to be the one forced pick for need, having lost out on Zach Ertz earlier. The pick should have been another Jefferson as in Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma. Fortunately for Keim and the Cardinals, Jefferson was not taken in the draft thanks to bogus reports that Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma coaches did not have good things to say about TJ's work ethic, which Stoops tried to vehemently deny after the rumors came out---so credit Keim here as well for having Tony Jefferson lined up to sign with the Cardinals after the draft was over.

What We Know Now:

1. Cooper was looking like the most athletic guard to don a Cardinals' uniform in quite some time until he got injured.

2. Minter was quite the headhunter and thumper on STs as he has been patiently waiting his turn.

3. Mathieu wound up being worth a first round pick.

4. Okafor got injured just when he was getting his chance. He didn't have that great of a pre-season. Didn't seem as quick or as athletic on the edge as what was advertised. Maybe injuries had much to do with that.

4. Watford was brought along slowly, as was the plan.

5. Taylor proved to be tough inside runner and blocker, plus a good STs player.

6. Swope didn't even make it to training camp---but the Cardinals still hold his rights and seeing Austin Collie play well in the playoffs for the Pats, perhaps Swope will make a comeback at some point.

6. Ellington was worth at least a second round pick.

7. D.C. Jefferson was a project all the way, both on and off the field, which cost him his spot.

So what about this year?

First of all, last year, Bruce Arians did not have too much input on the draft because he was still getting to know the Cardinals' roster and shaping up his staff, etc.

This year, BA will have greater influence is in free agency, because key pieces will be added to the offense in free agency at LT and WR...plus quite possibly at RB and at TE.

The draft, therefore, is going to be focused on adding speed and aggressiveness on defense.

BA in recent interviews has highlighted the Cardinals' off-season priorities:

1. Add quality players who love the game of football.

2. Create impressive depth and competition on both the offensive and defensive lines.

3. Add speed to both the offense and the defense.

4. Bolster and strengthen the special teams (first step already accomplished by re-signing P Dave Zastudil).

If Steve Keim is able to take care of the main offensive needs in free agency---the first three picks of the draft are OLB, DL, S.

Some Nifty Fits at Senior Bowl for Cardinals:

1. OLB Kyle Van Noy (6-3, 235, BYU)---here is a guy who has sprinter's speed---can wreak havoc off the edge and can perform blanket coverage on TEs and RBs. Absolutely made to order for what the defense needs.

2. S Jimmie Ward (5-11, 204, Northern Illinois)---best cover man at the Senior Bowl and most sudden hitter.

3. DT Will Sutton (6-0, 310, Arizona St.)---John Lott helps him get his head and body right and he rotates into the nickel rush as a rookie and succeeds Darnell Dockett when he leaves. Small and quick is good in Todd Bowles' defense---especially when the strategy is to funnel Wilson and Kaepernick into the middle of the pocket where a quick, sudden rusher like Sutton can clean up.

4. TE Crockett Gilmore (6-6, 253, Colorado St.)---All-purpose TE with good athleticism, who blocks with tenacity and catches the ball with superb concentration.

5. CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-3, 220, Nebraska)---big corner who is physical and quick to the ball.

6. QB David Fales (6-3, 220, San Jose St.)---makes big plays, sees the field, keeps his cool, very competitive---just not a huge arm which means he will be, imo, the Nick Foles of this draft.

7. RB David Fluellen (6-0, 205, Toledo)---good size, toughness and feet.

8. TE Arthur Lynch (6-5, 258, Georgia) or C.J. Fiedorowicz (6-7, 265, Iowa)---big TEs who can block and make plays downfield.

9. WR Robert Herron (5010, 185, Wyoming)---speedy, yet has some thickness to his legs.

10. WR Kevin Norwood ((6-2, 195, Alabama)---looks to me like he has some Reggie Wayne type qualities. Naturally fast and sure-handed.

11. OLB Dee Ford (6-2, 238, Auburn)---fast and furious off the snap, plays hard every snap, excellent chaser, needs to finish his tackles better.

12. OLB Michael Sam (6-3, 255, Missouri)---made to order for Shaughnessy's LOLB spot. Can hold the edge, can bull rush and can turn the corner with quickness.

13. S Deone Bucannon (6-1, 203, Washington St,)---big hitter who covers like a CB. Would be a nice fit at SS for the Cardinals.

14. CB T.J. Davis (6-1, 194, Auburn)---big, quick footed highly alert CB who has good return skills (as Alabama knows).

15. S Craig Loston (6-2, 205, LSU)---active and focused, good hitter, good range, nice size.

16. Chris Smith (6-3, 266, Arkansas)---has the look of a good, solid LOLB edge player---gets his hands up on quick passes---rushes with strength and good speed---very competitive.

17. K Cody Parkey (6-0, 190, Auburn)---made a 50 yarder with good room to spare---good leg, solid accuracy.

18. QB Jimmy Garoppolo (6-2, 195, Eastern Illinois)---was a but erratic in this game, but he brings a crisp style of passing to the fold. Looks and throws like Marc Bulger (compliment)---yet, has a far more competitive mien and outgoing personality than Bulger.

19. T Zach Martin (6-3, 304, Notre Dame)---sound in all aspects---gibes you all he's got---shows excellent technique---short arms do not seem to be an issue because his hand placements and smooth, hard riding techniques are near perfect.

20. LB Chris Borland (5-11, 242, Wisconsin)---tremendous tackler---sifts through traffic well to the ball---looks like a slightly smaller, slightly less rangy version of Luke Keuchly.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So what about this year?

I liked him in the game. He ran hard. Could be another late steal.

White from Wisconsin has very good qualities as well.

With the draft board as it sits today and with what we need as of today what are the projections in order of importance for each Rd? Iow, what are the top priorities by position as of today?

If Albert signs elsewhere which is likely, how do you address OT long term and near term?

How is the #2 or slot CB spot resolved?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good info Mitch. I like Fales a lot too....I think he has great accuracy and anticipation...whats the earliest you would go after him...Im thinking fourth round area

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
so fales is your choice at qb?
do u think he can be a qbof?

If Fales is still on the board in the 4th round---I think Keim might be tempted. Prior to that, I doubt it.

Fales is smooth. He's not going to wow anyone in a workout, but put him in cleats and turn the lights on and he makes a lot of plays. He's smart and instinctive.

I like Garopollo a lot. I think, however, that he will be a top 50 pick and I can't see the Cardinals taking him at #20.

Because Fales lacks the wow factor---I could see him, like Nick Foles, sliding to the 3rd or even the 4th round, at which point he would be very good value.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I liked him in the game. He ran hard. Could be another late steal.

White from Wisconsin has very good qualities as well.

With the draft board as it sits today and with what we need as of today what are the projections in order of importance for each Rd? Iow, what are the top priorities by position as of today?

If Albert signs elsewhere which is likely, how do you address OT long term and near term?

How is the #2 or slot CB spot resolved?

I am starting to think that Van Noy is such a good fit that he makes a lot of sense at #20. But, after the Combine he will probably climb up into the top 12, once people see his sheer athleticism.

So---if not Van Noy---I think Dee Ford could get some attention at #20, although he's not the cover guy Van Noy is and he lacks the kind of size that Todd Bowles would prefer---so---there's another WOLB that is similar to Van Noy and that's Trevor Reilly (6-5, 245, Utah) whom I think will be a fast riser in this draft as well. Now, Reilly has the length, speed and versatility (cover ability) that Bowles loves. I could see the Cardinals taking him.

If not, I think the DE/DTs get plenty of attention at #20.

The one TE the Cardinals would take, imo, at #20 is Ebron---but he's going to get scooped up earlier than that.

The WR position is deep enough to pass in round 1, but there could be some very tempting WR choices at #20---two of my favorites are Brandin Cooks (5-10, 180, Oregon St.) and Paul Richardson (6-1, 180, Colorado).

Some people say just draft a speed guy later---but as we have seen, speed only matters if you can command the ball and make the plays. Cooks commands the ball and makes plays as well as any WR in this draft.

The wild card at #20 for the Cardinals could well be S Calvin Pryor (6-2, 210, Louisville) who is a stud. Although, the thinking might be to draft a front seven player at #20 and hope for S Jimmy Ward or S Deone Bucannon at #52.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good info Mitch. I like Fales a lot too....I think he has great accuracy and anticipation...whats the earliest you would go after him...Im thinking fourth round area

4th sound right----if he lasts, which I doubt, thanks to Nick Foles.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nice writeup Mitch.Really like the Martin kid from ND.Could he be a option at #20? He is rising on every draft board.Kid seems like a real player.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice writeup Mitch.Really like the Martin kid from ND.Could he be a option at #20? He is rising on every draft board.Kid seems like a real player.

The kid is a winner, BW. Agreed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Would not be against OLB/S in the first 2 rounds. Stacking the D even more just wouldn't be fair to opposing offenses.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Regarding last years draft in general, and picks in the second and fourth round specifically-- is there a source for this information, or is this your speculation?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Fales. I think he measured closer to 6'1 and is he really any better than Lindley?

I like the thinking with Sutton. His being out of shape is a concern though.

Ward got rave reviwes at the SB.

I'm a big fan of Chris Smith and Micahel Sam.

Van Noy seems to be garnering some buzz. Is 20 too high for him?

I'm becoming more and more of a Dee Ford fan. Is he big enough to be a Bowles-type LB like Smith and Sam?

Borland is tough to project. The guy has absolutely zero measurables but always makes plays. 28 inch arms :shock:.

Not a Lynch fan but like Fedorowicz.

There seems like there always has to be at least one LSU player in Keim's draft, maybe it Loston.

Speed WR will definitely be addressed in this draft.

Don't want Zack Martin. He's good, reminds me of DeCastro, but don't really want another OG in round 1.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, I think you're dead on with that potential draft list for the Big Red!

I luv Van Noy, Herron, Bucannon & Garropollo & what they could be as players long term. I watched lots of games & studied each of those top 3 this past year

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regarding last years draft in general, and picks in the second and fourth round specifically-- is there a source for this information, or is this your speculation?

That's my question as well. You have to give SK credit for drafting Juke but why take Swope before him???? Kudos for pulling the trigger but sometimes luck plays a big role.

I do enjoy all the information on the players. Not so sure the first 3 players drafted will be on the D side of the ball. It's all really a bunch of guess work at this point and especially before we see how FA unfolds.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I view the entire draft process as speculation , that's why teams select QB's in the 1'st rnd. named Gabbert --- Ponder ---- Locker while another QB named Wilson , 3'rd rnd. will play in the SuperBowl . I listed QB's , but no position is immune to dud syndrome , and being picked late does not mean you can't be a star player QB - T Brady --- RB - T Davis .

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If the Cardinals draft a WR, it is for speed.

If the guy doesn't have tremendous straight line speed, then the is not going to be drafted by this team.

Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and Jaron Brown are possession guys, and can get deep for chunk yardage plays, fight for the ball and make the catch.

Look no further than the talent level of wide receiver that was brought in during the season to see that speed is the key, not catching ability (which of course is preferred, but speed is the need).

Not to mention, does this organization, with this current roster need 5 Wide receivers in an offense that uses tight ends, and has Patrick Peterson and Andre Elllington on the roster ?

I don't think so. If the Cardinals get a possession receiver in this draft, he will be a tight end.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I agree with you Rugby. I think TE is way more important with the current line-up (losing Roberts) than the need for another WR. Ebron, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins, Niklas

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If the guy doesn't have tremendous straight line speed, then the is not going to be drafted by this team.

Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and Jaron Brown are possession guys, and can get deep for chunk yardage plays, fight for the ball and make the catch.

Look no further than the talent level of wide receiver that was brought in during the season to see that speed is the key, not catching ability (which of course is preferred, but speed is the need).

Not to mention, does this organization, with this current roster need 5 Wide receivers in an offense that uses tight ends, and has Patrick Peterson and Andre Elllington on the roster ?

I don't think so. If the Cardinals get a possession receiver in this draft, he will be a tight end.

Good stuff right here and I agree.

I'll add the caveat that if we get a legit LT, Coop is who we think he is, upgrade RG and Massie is the RTOF then we may see BA use more 4 and 5 WR sets. But with PP and Juke on the team I agree we still probably wouldn't need a 5th WR on the roster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did the Cards post their actual draft board for last year or are you just thinking out loud on who they were targeting last year?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Agree, not sure BA will carry more than 4 WRs on the roster when he can use Ellington as the 5th WR and effectively at that. They will either draft a speed WR late or possibly find one in FA, Ginn comes to mind, to fill the need for a uber fast WR. For all we know they might be thinking of converting Williams to a WR slot receiver. He has speed and it also lessens his chance of getting hurt again. Maybe that's why they kept him on the roster last year. He is capable of catching the ball.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree, not sure BA will carry more than 4 WRs on the roster when he can use Ellington as the 5th WR and effectively at that. They will either draft a speed WR late or possibly find one in FA, Ginn comes to mind, to fill the need for a uber fast WR. For all we know they might be thinking of converting Williams to a WR slot receiver. He has speed and it also lessens his chance of getting hurt again. Maybe that's why they kept him on the roster last year. He is capable of catching the ball.

If you are talking about Ryan Williams his 40 time is about 4.6, not the speed demon we need at WR.

Reaction score

Where did the Cards post their actual draft board for last year or are you just thinking out loud on who they were targeting last year?
Come on guys, you know that Mitch likes exercising his creative license.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I view the entire draft process as speculation , that's why teams select QB's in the 1'st rnd. named Gabbert --- Ponder ---- Locker while another QB named Wilson , 3'rd rnd. will play in the SuperBowl . I listed QB's , but no position is immune to dud syndrome , and being picked late does not mean you can't be a star player QB - T Brady --- RB - T Davis .

While important, he's not the reason they are in the SB. He landed on the right team at the right time, right coach for him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Speed creates mis-matches. So does height and physical dominance. While I agree this team could use a burner to keep DB's honest, another dominant physical WR is never a bad thing. Esp. with Fitz' current and next season's cap numbers. You could always use one in the slot and work in a speed guy as well with 4 wide. We don't know what Fitz will/wants to command in two seasons so all options should be on the table.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky