Backup QB??

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
what do you all think about Harrington or Mike M. ( the one that was just released by Eagles) as backup QB.. I hate to think the Navarre is our backup heading into the season.. I personally think we need to sign one of these Qb's and draft one with the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft and left Navarre compete for the 3rd string again..

also: I haven't seen any movement on the cards front sign me made those signing: are we done with FA's and just awaiting for the draft or what? I think there are still a couple of valuable FA's that can hep us this next season.. Why are we waiting?

Go CARDS

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would sign Joey Harrington. He has the skills and has already experienced many of the growing pains that young QB's have to go through.

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Snakester said:
I would sign Joey Harrington. He has the skills and has already experienced many of the growing pains that young QB's have to go through.

I agree with Snakster. Harrington would be a comfortable signing for QB position.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw McMahon was released I said to myself that is the guy the CArds will get.
Personally , I think he stinks. The only plus is the fact that he has some experience.
I would feel better about Harrington.

Cardforlife

Veteran
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
As soon as I saw McMahon was released I said to myself that is the guy the CArds will get.
Personally , I think he stinks. The only plus is the fact that he has some experience.
I like Mike McMahon he would be cheap and better than Navarre or Rohan "Krispy Kremes" Davey

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harrington still has the "Big Po." Based on what I saw from him in Philly, McMahon's better days are behind them (not that those days were all that good either - although he had one or two moments in Dee-troit).

I'd feel most comfortable with Harrington as a #3 QBOF type, but that's not going to happen. I'd be willing to gamble on him as Warner's backup in the hope that his assortment of developmental speed-bumps can be ironed out. If they can be, we will have "stolen" a legit QBOF

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:

The way he stunk it up against us I'm not so sure about that.

Right now I'd guess they'll wait till after the draft to add a QB.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McMahon would not be a good fit, IMO. If we're going to get a mobile QB I think he needs to be the guy that we have tabbed as the QBoF (ie, Young)--a guy who's upside offsets the fact that a mobile QB doesn't really figure into our offense. Otherwsie we need a pocket passer like Harrington or Cutler (who is mobile, but his game is predicated on passing, not running).

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
what do you all think about Harrington or Mike M. ( the one that was just released by Eagles) as backup QB.. I hate to think the Navarre is our backup heading into the season.. I personally think we need to sign one of these Qb's and draft one with the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft and left Navarre compete for the 3rd string again..

also: I haven't seen any movement on the cards front sign me made those signing: are we done with FA's and just awaiting for the draft or what? I think there are still a couple of valuable FA's that can hep us this next season.. Why are we waiting?

Go CARDS

I would like a new backup QB but am currently of the opinion that Graves and Green are going with what they have. They have made no indication they would do otherwise.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Harrington still has the "Big Po." Based on what I saw from him in Philly, McMahon's better days are behind them (not that those days were all that good either - although he had one or two moments in Dee-troit).

I'd feel most comfortable with Harrington as a #3 QBOF type, but that's not going to happen. I'd be willing to gamble on him as Warner's backup in the hope that his assortment of developmental speed-bumps can be ironed out. If they can be, we will have "stolen" a legit QBOF

i was privleged to see harrington's 5 INT performance against the bears. ....he had quite a talented group of wr's there...if g and g's jobs are on the line they is little margin for error to blow it all on the wrong second string guy if it comes down to that...we won't get griese...we didn't get garcia...so the list is getting shorter...i know if i had my job on the line i would look for the absolutely best possible back-up...and that is NOT going to come from the draft for 2006...someone mentioned martin from stl.....i am too lazy to check to see if he is a fa...that's a possibility....mcmahon is not as bad as you might believe...he had a bad game.....but detroit has the dubious distinction of having lost more games than we have since matt "millions" got behind the ford wheel...hey...he probobly makes more money than any of the execs at ford!! just keep in mind the list is getting shorter by the day.

this is a tough call...too bad we don't have the luxury of putting a young or cutler and on the bench for a few years and see if he becomes carson palmer....BUT i believe if either are there at 10 THEY just might swallow hard and take one...again i wouldn't but it ain't my job on the line. let somone else look at their investment for a few years...a la phillip rivers...and then roll the dice to see if it works...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i believe if either are there at 10 THEY just might swallow hard and take one...
Go you one better. If Young is available at #10 (regardless of who else is there too), the odds are far better than even that we'd take him. The odds on Cutler IMHO would probably be about 50-50.

But I could still see us signing Harrington and then drafting one of the two QBOF's. At worst, there could be open competition between Joey and the rook for the #2 backup job. It would be Joey's job to lose.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
i believe if either are there at 10 THEY just might swallow hard and take one...
Go you one better. If Young is available at #10 (regardless of who else is there too), the odds are far better than even that we'd take him. The odds on Cutler IMHO would probably be about 50-50.

But I could still see us signing Harrington and then drafting one of the two QBOF's. At worst, there could be open competition between Joey and the rook for the #2 backup job. It would be Joey's job to lose.

i wish i didn't have to agree with you....it is looking less and less like maddox (on his way to miami), griese (negoitating with bears)....if it is harrington hope that someone sees something that no one else has...sure can't blame it on weak wr's in detroit....i still don't believe a rookie will be no.2 for this team at this time.