Barbosa's confidence soaring

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 28, 2005 12:00 AM

Leandro Barbosa's life has become immersed in English extremes.

In a sweet Portuguese tilt to his rapidly acquired English, Barbosa is often "happy" or "sad," "confident" or "bad."

He always loves Steve Nash. He liked Stephon Marbury. But he loves Nash, the man most responsible, along with coach Mike D'Antoni, for restoring Barbosa's confidence.

Barbosa was brilliant in games Friday and Saturday in Florida, averaging 14.5 points on 11-for-17 shooting (3 for 6 on three-pointers) with a modest five assists in 38 total minutes.

Barbosa will miss the road more than his teammates, who are glad to be done with five away games in seven days despite Phoenix's gaudy 29-8 road record. The road is where Barbosa gets to be around Nash the most.

They walk in malls. They go to movies. They dine together. They speak in Spanish, a language Nash is picking up well with help from his longtime girlfriend, a native of Paraguay.

"I feel comfortable with him and he feels comfortable with me," Barbosa said. "I enjoy my time with him. We talk a lot about basketball and my family and his family. Everything we do, we laugh."

They even play together more often. D'Antoni has gone to Barbosa and Nash as a tandem recently, making Phoenix's offensive fury even faster and more frenetic.

"He has made a big difference to our team," Nash said. "On a night like (Saturday), when guys are flat, he keeps us in games."

Nash and Barbosa shared the backcourt twice in the Miami game, good for a stretch in which Phoenix outscored Miami 10-5 in the second quarter, but also for a fourth-quarter, 17-12 stretch in Miami's favor. They paired only for the last 4 1/2minutes of the first half in Orlando, with the Suns holding an 11-9 edge in that time.

After each had a run of injuries or ailments, Barbosa and Nash are as healthy as they have been in months.

"(Barbosa) gives us some energy and quickness," D'Antoni said. "Who knows? That (pairing) might bode well as we go down the road."

Against Miami, Barbosa had two breathtaking drives within a minute. He went from the left wing to finish on the right on one, then hit a floater over Shaquille O'Neal on the next. Coupled with Nash later in that game, he scored eight points in a two-minute stretch.

In Orlando on Saturday, Barbosa had another definitive burst. In the third, he knifed threw three defenders for a three-point play and then penetrated and dished for an Amaré Stoudemire dunk on the next play. But it was the very next play that brought Nash off his back by the Suns bench.

Barbosa missed a layup but hustled for the loose ball and attacked the hoop again, hitting a double-clutch shot for a three-point play and an 85-78 Suns lead.

He is shooting 52 percent since the start of February. More importantly, Barbosa has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2-1 this month.

"I am learning a lot from Steve Nash," Barbosa said. "He is still helping me and I hope he can teach me more. He makes me feel comfortable on the court."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0328suns0328.html

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute....I know it is Monday morning, but did I read the article right? Did it not say that Nash is picking up Spanish from his long time girlfriend. First ...Portugese is the official language of Brazil....RIGHT???? And you mean that Nash is not married? Gee, he just had twins........

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Portuguese is the primary language of Brazil, but Spanish is fairly common there. In any case, I would guess that Barbosa's Spanish is better than his English, so maybe he and Nash meet in the middle.

And it's true that Nash is not married to the mother of his twins. I've been puzzled by that, but maybe it's consistent with his grunge image.

Jerbob

Reaction score
I happen to speak both languages, and Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. If you speak Spanish to a Brazilian, he/she will understand most everything you say without having ever studied Spanish.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you speak Spanish to a Brazilian, he/she will understand most everything you say without having ever studied Spanish.

It's funny that you say that. I was preparing to visit Brazil many years ago, and asked some Brazilians here whether my Spanish would be useful. Most of them assured me that it would be. But once I got there, when I asked a native whether he understood Spanish, I got an even split of two possible responses: Yes, of course; or No, why would you think that? I decided that maybe, for some Brazilians, the constant confusion by gringos of Portuguese with Spanish is an annoyance, and they enforce a clear distinction between the languages as a sort of cultural pride.

And incidentally, my Spanish was quite good then, but I had a hell of a time understanding any Portuguese. The languages are similar, but not so much as you might think.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
is it just me, or has his shootinging form looked a little better this season? It still looks odd but not any weirder than marions i guess:)

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Connecting the threads, I now understand how his girlfriend tollerates the fact that Nash stinks, Paraguay hygiene.

Also the emergence of Barbosa and Nash tandem also heightens my opinion that Q can become disposable. I am a believer in the LIFO (Last In, First Out) accounting process.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends is Brazilian. In fact he will be headed back to Brazil in one month. He says that it's fairly easy for someone who speaks Portuguese to understand Spanish, but it's much more difficult going the other direction.

BTW I like Iguodala a lot. I don't think this current Phoenix Suns team would be as good with him instead of Q though. I think Q is going to be a much bigger part of the offense next year instead of primarily just being a three-point shooter like he is right now

Joe

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Jerbob said:
I happen to speak both languages, and Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. If you speak Spanish to a Brazilian, he/she will understand most everything you say without having ever studied Spanish.

I speak both also (well, more Spanish than Portuguese) and that's true but what throws most people off the the accent in Brazil. They 'shsh' their words a lot. The accent in Portual (Europe) is more similar to the Spanish.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, and I have trouble speaking English at times....especially in front of a group of people.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
BTW I like Iguodala a lot. I don't think this current Phoenix Suns team would be as good with him instead of Q though. I think Q is going to be a much bigger part of the offense next year instead of primarily just being a three-point shooter like he is right now

Joe

Wait for playoff time, we'll see how valuable Q is. He will become the second scoring option next to Amare by default.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Wait for playoff time, we'll see how valuable Q is. He will become the second scoring option next to Amare by default.

Q is absolutely clutch. No fear. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barbosa is the only Sun wing that beat his man to the basket based purely on his speed. You would think Marion could, but Marion doesn't go to the basket as hard as Barbosa in the half court. JJ and Q don't go the basket that hard and when they do it is more based on strength than speed.

Leandor is too good an outside shooter to back off of but too quick for most defenders to keep in front of. If he could learn to pass to Amare off the penitration, he could be extremely valuable in the playoffs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cly2tw said:

At least someone else sees it. :thumbup:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
They walk in malls. They go to movies. They dine together. They speak in Spanish, a language Nash is picking up well with help from his longtime girlfriend, a native of Paraguay.

"I feel comfortable with him and he feels comfortable with me," Barbosa said. "I enjoy my time with him. We talk a lot about basketball and my family and his family. Everything we do, we laugh."

This is how Nash is earning the back end of his $65m contract. :thumbup:

BTW, is it too early to say "I told you so" about Gary Payton? :p

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
At least someone else sees it. :thumbup:

Dallas fans see it too. I've seen at least two of them compare Q to Nick Van Exel from their vintage 2002 team...