Beasley arrested for possession of marijuana

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a nice article. I've commented before that I was surprised at how supportive many of his teammates were, they all seemed to be in his corner. And this was after he'd pretty much worn out his welcome among the fans. Other than maybe Gortat and Scola, I had the feeling that every player on the roster sincerely liked the guy.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a nice article. I've commented before that I was surprised at how supportive many of his teammates were, they all seemed to be in his corner. And this was after he'd pretty much worn out his welcome among the fans. Other than maybe Gortat and Scola, I had the feeling that every player on the roster sincerely liked the guy.

Steve

Yep, he appears to be a good teammate but that's about it. I did appreciate when he stood up for Dragic last year when Hollins (Clippers) put him in a headlock.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Why stretch it? Just bite the bullet now. You're going to be terrible anyway.

It would be pretty awful if, for example, 4 years from now the Suns are close to making a big move but can't pull it off because of the few million that Beasley is costing them.

I agree. Just bite the bullet and waive him. At the very least, do what New York did to Marbury- suspend him and don't let him near the team.

Honestly, if I were Sarver, I'd call a press conference, say that "Michael's behavior is not consistent with Phoenix Suns' values, and is contrary to the culture we are trying to create. We made a pretty major mistake, we'd like to apologize to the fans, and we are accepting responsibility. To show everyone just how serious we are about our new culture, we are waiving Michael immediately. Thank you for your continuous support."

Done! You'll be able to geta lot of good PR for $9M it will cost to pay Beasley.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty sure the cap hit is locked in, if someone else signs him it just deducts some of the actual cash the Suns have to pay.

And I agree with the general sentiment here. Dont bother to stretch him, just cut him and be done with it. I dont want to spend the next 5 years having to be reminded "Dont forget Beasley is owed 1.8 mil" every time someone tries to figure out our cap space.

Um. That's what I said.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Is "TheNBACentral" legit? Does this question really need to be asked?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a related story, Shabazz was kicked out of nba rookie camp for bringing a "female guest" into his room just an hour or so after being told that unapproved guests were not allowed.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Is this legit?

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral

The NBA Central ‏@TheNBACentral 6h
The Suns have waived Michael Beasley. Due to consistently getting in trouble with the law.

This is just as legitimate as the Nigerian prince who is giving me 10% of his fortune in exchange for giving him my account information so he can get his inheritance of of the country. :D

On a more serious note, I have gone from being angry with Beasely to feeling sorry for him. Clearly the guy has some sort of mental issues that are not being addressed. The article from the Minnesota fan makes it look like he is a nice and decent person. He sounds like a great guy to have at the neighborhood picnic, but he is an absolutely terrible employee and he gets worse every year.

I hope for his sake that this latest incident causes him to wake up and finally "get it" to the point where he can put his life together. That doesn't mean, however, that I want to watch him playing for the Suns while he tries to figure life out. I want him to get healthy, but I don't want him hanging around Len and Goodwin while he works on getting it together.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just as legitimate as the Nigerian prince who is giving me 10% of his fortune in exchange for giving him my account information so he can get his inheritance of of the country. :D

On a more serious note, I have gone from being angry with Beasely to feeling sorry for him. Clearly the guy has some sort of mental issues that are not being addressed. The article from the Minnesota fan makes it look like he is a nice and decent person. He sounds like a great guy to have at the neighborhood picnic, but he is an absolutely terrible employee and he gets worse every year.

I hope for his sake that this latest incident causes him to wake up and finally "get it" to the point where he can put his life together. That doesn't mean, however, that I want to watch him playing for the Suns while he tries to figure life out. I want him to get healthy, but I don't want him hanging around Len and Goodwin while he works on getting it together.

I dont know that I would call it a mental issue. I knew about 10 guys in college who were fun to hang out with but were completely unreliable and irresponsible. Sounds like that fits Beasley pretty well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In this article, Gambo makes him out to be a total scumbag that completely doesn't care about his teammates. Beasley's actions and other opinions don't really support that.

http://arizonasports.com/60/1654307/Michael-Beasleys-time-with-the-Phoenix-Suns-will-be-over-soon

Gambo is not one of my favorite sports personalities but he is more connected to the Suns than anyone. I think there have been more personality issues than we have heard about. And Gambo is hardly the first person to call Beasley a cancer.

In that article linked earlier in the thread it quotes Gentry from Dec or Jan and mentions off the court problems with Beasley, when pressed he says, he cant really talk about it.

Also, when Beasley left Minnesota Love said "bad blood" had been purged from the locker-room.

Dudes might like him in the hotel and on the team flight but anything associated with the sport and he is exposed as being irresponsible, selfish and lazy and I have little doubt it really wears on those forced to work with him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a related story, Shabazz was kicked out of nba rookie camp for bringing a "female guest" into his room just an hour or so after being told that unapproved guests were not allowed.

Beasley beat that he got fined 50k at his one for smoking pot and having women in the room. Along with Arthur and Chalmers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley beat that he got fined 50k at his one for smoking pot and having women in the room. Along with Arthur and Chalmers.

Thank you. I was looking for this information but couldn't readily find it.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I dont know that I would call it a mental issue. I knew about 10 guys in college who were fun to hang out with but were completely unreliable and irresponsible. Sounds like that fits Beasley pretty well.

I suppose that I am being a bit broad in my definition of a mental issue. I lump stupidity into the category of mental issues. I would not be shocked at all if the depression that he was treated for back in 2009 was part of the reason why he keeps abusing drugs. But it may just be that he is a moron or he could be a moron with some mental health issues.

But, he is definitely dumb. How eff-ing stupid do you have to be to get caught driving around while smoking pot? He makes millions of dollars a year, can't he send someone else to pick up Cheetos? If he uses at home he still runs the risk of failing an NBA drug test, but that is just a 5 game suspension for a 3rd offense. That is a lot better than risking criminal charges and a suspension.

As I look at what he did as a Freshman and the slide into worthlessness that has occurred since then I can't help but shake my head and think what a waste.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
It sure is a waste of talent. Hope it works out for him somewhere else. At least we gave him a shot but I hope they let him go right now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The thing that disturbs me the most is that nobody was even interested in this guy and the Suns gave him a big contract. He wouldn't have got half that much from any other team. At the time everybody around the league was scratching their heads because they ALL knew he would eventually do something like this.

I remember a lot of people griping because the Suns only brought in guys with solid character. You can't have it both ways.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All in all it was a bad signing. But that partially guaranteed third year is tops on the wtf-were-they-thinking list.

And there should have been a clause in his contract regarding drugs and the third year being a team option to pick him up again.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
When he came here I think he said something to the effect of basketball was more important to him than getting high. I guess that wasn't the case. I kind of feel bad for the guy, he has some talent but he just doesn't seem real smart either on or off the court.

From what I think I understand about the stretch options to absorb the contract I would wait until after Sept 1, eat the 6M this year and do 3 years at 1M.

I would not want to still be paying this guy 5 years from now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake