Beasley to be released by end of week.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns could have kept him on the roster but had him stay away from all team activities leaving him with nothing to do but sit on his couch and blaze.

While that may have appealed to the Sleaze I'm sure his agent is well aware it would basically been the end of Measley's career.

Ah I see. Thanks!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm not real familiar with cap hits and all that so I have a question, why did Beasley agree to this? Why would be accept to get paid less?

Because he gets more up front. Similar to lottery winners who take the lump sum vs larger payout over time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he gets more up front. Similar to lottery winners who take the lump sum vs larger payout over time.

And because the stretch provision of the CBA meant that the Suns could threaten paying him over the next 5 years instead of 2. Beasley has probably already spent this year's salary. So he can't afford to get what, $1.8 million this year instead of $4 million something.

My fear is the light is going to go on with Beasley, he is still an immense talent and only 24. But the risk for this young team is just too great to continue. Waiving him might wake him up. But keeping him would ensure his failure because there still be no real consequences for his actions. Either way, the Suns had to cut him.

The fact that Babby was able to recover $2 million out of this deal is just genius. This, along with the Butler trade really takes any financial pressure off of the Suns. Babby seems to be the perfect guy to satisfy the financial demands of ownership and the talent demands of the GM. At least it is beginning to seem that way. Gotta be careful not to get too overboard here.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The fact that Babby was able to recover $2 million out of this deal is just genius

Gotta be careful not to get too overboard here.
Yes, especially since Babby was the one who signed Beasley to an $18M contract just 14 months ago.

Mistakes were made, but the Suns are at least trying to make amends. Time will tell how successful this summer's moves will turn out to be.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, especially since Babby was the one who signed Beasley to an $18M contract just 14 months ago.

Mistakes were made, but the Suns are at least trying to make amends. Time will tell how successful this summer's moves will turn out to be.

I am still under the impression that Blank's job was to find the player, Babby's job was to negotiate the contract.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am still under the impression that Blank's job was to find the player, Babby's job was to negotiate the contract.
I am not sure that their responsibilities were this clearly defined or divided. I doubt a decision to sign a player would be made unless both Babby and Blanks signed off on it, so I would think that Babby had the power to prevent that deal from happening if he chose to exercise it.

And as far as negotiating the contract, I don't think Babby did well in that department either. How much interest did Beasley really had from other teams last summer? Seems like the Suns were outbidding themselves again.

Babby appears to be learning on the job, but I would not give him a pass for Beasley even if Blanks was mainly responsible for that signing. Everyone who had any real power within the Suns organization should share the blame for those types of costly blunders.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that their responsibilities were this clearly defined or divided. I doubt a decision to sign a player would be made unless both Babby and Blanks signed off on it, so I would think that Babby had the power to prevent that deal from happening if he chose to exercise it.

And as far as negotiating the contract, I don't think Babby did well in that department either. How much interest did Beasley really had from other teams last summer? Seems like the Suns were outbidding themselves again.

Babby appears to be learning on the job, but I would not give him a pass for Beasley even if Blanks was mainly responsible for that signing. Everyone who had any real power within the Suns organization should share the blame for those types of costly blunders.

agreed. it's too easy to just say the guy who's gone was responsible for everything bad.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed. it's too easy to just say the guy who's gone was responsible for everything bad.

Blanks made it pretty easy. Did you guys see the Coro piece where he talks about how Blanks was mentoring Beasley off the court and how they liked to play wrestle?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beasley's contract was dumb... really freaking dumb. I am not sure how much Babby is actually in charge of, given the complete change of direction this summer I'd think McDonough is currently calling the shots. The Blanks/Babby duo had no coherent plan, a bunch of odd, many counter-productive... and stupid moves. The McD/Babby reign has shown more direction and obvious planning than we have seen since in ages.

Perhaps Babby's role is diminished, maybe after the debacle of the last 3 years he figured out he would have more job security letting a smart GM call the shots opposed to co-running the team with an idiotic one. But Babby certainly deserves a lot of the blame for what happened between summer of 2010 and last May, even if it was just to the extent of not overruling a lot of patently stupid moves by Lance Blanks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blanks made it pretty easy. Did you guys see the Coro piece where he talks about how Blanks was mentoring Beasley off the court and how they liked to play wrestle?

eek...and thank God, no...I didn't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Babby's job was more to rubber stamp it than anything else so I blame Beasley the player solely on Blanks. I blame the absurd contract on Babby and to be honest, the contract itself might even be a bigger blunder than having interest in him in the first place.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Really? Yikes. Um. Don't know what to say.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Babby's job was more to rubber stamp it than anything else so I blame Beasley the player solely on Blanks. I blame the absurd contract on Babby and to be honest, the contract itself might even be a bigger blunder than having interest in him in the first place.

Steve
Beasley is, and has been, a dud. That being said, an unbalanced team with very little hope, if they have the cubes, is going to go for all-or-nothing.

I am thinking that Gugliotta might have fit that description when he joined the Suns.

The difference with Beasley is that he obviously lacked common sense from the start. 'Not even a foundation to build on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley is, and has been, a dud. That being said, an unbalanced team with very little hope, if they have the cubes, is going to go for all-or-nothing.

I am thinking that Gugliotta might have fit that description when he joined the Suns.

The difference with Beasley is that he obviously lacked common sense from the start. 'Not even a foundation to build on.

I think you're selling Googs short. Pre-injury he was a well above average player. Granted, he wasn't the athlete that Dice was but he wasn't a huge gamble either.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Googs was a solid player before blowing up his knee. He was not a star but a well above average starting forward.

Freaking Randy Livingston.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, Googs was nearly a 20/10 guy before the injury.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Not quite, but very close. I don't think he ever averaged 9 rebounds per game, but he was also a very underrated passer. If I remember correctly, he averaged close to 4 assists throughout his career (prior to injuries, of course.)

I was a big Googs fan. Had he and Penny stayed healthy, the Suns would have been a very dangerous team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Googs had two 20/9 seasons on a really mediocre Minnesota team that just barely got into the playoffs and then quickly went on a downward slope, averaging 17 and 9 his first year with us and then 14 and 8 before he got Livingston'd.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Googs was a solid player before blowing up his knee. He was not a star but a well above average starting forward.

Freaking Randy Livingston.
I meant that the Suns brought Googs in as a "hope" for the success of the team.

In his case, it didn't work out because of that foolish injury.

In Beasley's case, it was because of his own lack of common sense.

Come to think of it, Googs was a bad example. 'Sorry, Googs.

I wonder if the Chuckster is a better example. The Suns shot their load with Barkley and it ended in disappointment. In a large part, due to his feud with his Point Guard, KJ (or vice versa).

Last edited:

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder if the Chuckster is a better example. The Suns shot their load with Barkley and it ended in disappointment. In a large part, due to his feud with his Point Guard, KJ (or vice versa).

Not even close, BC. We made it to the finals. I would do that again every time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it ended because of injuries, not the feud IMO. if Barkley doesn't get injured twice in back to back series against Houston, we probably win back to back titles and never make that awful Thunder-Hot Rod trade.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Googs was an allstar and got injured. Also you have to remember the CBA was not was it is today and mid level guys got big extensions because of the market.

Beasley is more like Dumas who blew his chance after a new deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley is more like Dumas who blew his chance after a new deal

Your comparison is close.

As far as pure talent, I think Dumas was superior. If I recall correctly, the Suns came very close to trading Dumas for Rodman before things fell apart. I remember talk that Dumas had Jordan like skills.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comparison is close.

As far as pure talent, I think Dumas was superior. If I recall correctly, the Suns came very close to trading Dumas for Rodman before things fell apart. I remember talk that Dumas had Jordan like skills.

He did but as you know, a lot of players have Jordan like skills. None have Jordan's total game though and neither did Dumas. His ceiling was more like Scottie Pippen level but still, that was a lot of talent to go to such waste.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did but as you know, a lot of players have Jordan like skills. None have Jordan's total game though and neither did Dumas. His ceiling was more like Scottie Pippen level but still, that was a lot of talent to go to such waste.

Steve

It was a waste. The Suns almost struck gold with a second round pick. The opportunity for that to happen rarely comes along.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake