BENSON or HENRY???

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
That 2628 is just a mind-boggling total.

Russ Smith said:
The list I found is from 2003 so it's not current but:

Barry Sanders 2628 1988
Marcus Allen 2341 1981
Troy Davis 2185 1996
LaDainian Tomlinson 2158 2000
Ricky Williams 2124 1998
Byron Hanspard 2084 1996
Rashaan Salaam 2055 1994

Arrington had 2018.

I found them in PDF and so small I have to print the page to see what's on it so I don't have the YPC numbers but I doubt many of those guys on the list are much higher than 7YPC.

Sanders and Allen were all time greats, Davis, Salaam and Hanspard busts, LT looks like HOF, Ricky was damn good before he retired.

So 4 worked out really well and 3 didn't.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Who would you rather have and why? I prefer Benson. He's a tank and has much more potential than Henry at this point in his career.

Henry does not have potential. He is beyond that. He is a 1000 yd rusher in the NFL. Benson is a want a be. He may be good,bad,or so so

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Benson.

While it's tempting to fill the RB spot with Henry and free us up to fill other holes, Benson seems to have more potential and will be with us longer (ideally). Plus, let's get a guy who is unjaded by the NFL machine and sell him on our system before he can be brought up by some other organization.

Your key word here is "potential". Henry is a proven commodity.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Henry, because I would rather draft a CB.

Realistically, either one is fine with me.

Henry so we can draft Johnson.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If i had to pick one i'd take Benson.The main reason is,say Henry gets hurt or has an absolutely outstanding year,the Cards are then in a serious RB predicament again.Henry will either want Clinton Portis type money or he will be cut and we don't have a future RB.Benson will be locked up for 5-6 years. Now ,he could turn out to be a bust but i think that's unlikely. Trading for Henry definitley opens up more draft possibilities but Benson gives us more stability.

BTW,whoever made the Troy Davis/JJ Arrington comparison is right on the money.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
I would have to give the nod to Henry...He's proven himself in the NFL in a tough division. I would hope that the Cards can lock him up for more than a year. The Cards need to get a starting CB in the draft. Get Henry and add a speed rb in the 2nd or 3rd(Arrington?).

We may get a starting CB but that want make him a good one. Chances are probably less than 50/50 we get a difference maker at CB even if we draft one at #8. Our chances are probably just as good in the 3rd or 4th round as in the 2nd or 1st. Tommy Knight where are you?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
He plays through injuries which may be a problem, also he is in his contract year right now so if he has a great year then he will want a huge deal.

Sounds like Quan does it not? Anyone having a great year wants more money. Do we want him to have a lousy year to save money. I would hope he would lead the league in rushing and want a ton of money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Snakester said:
Cedric Benson by far. To me it's not much of a comparison. Comparing these two is like comparing Ladainian Tomlinson to Travis Henry. Which would you take? Henry is a nice back and all, but I don't think he is in the same league as a Benson or Tomlinson.

Frankly, it's insanity to compare Cedric Benson and Ladanian Tomlinson, as well. LT is essentially the best all-around runningback in the NFL. He can run, he can catch, he can block, he's totally selfless, he's great in the community. He's a threat to score a touchdown every time he touches the ball. He may go over 2000+ rushing yards twice before his career is over. He extended his deal with San Diego when they were the worst team in the NFL and the coaching situation looked like it was a disaster. All he wants to do is win.

Cedric Benson was arrested twice in college. He hasn't played a single NFL snap. He didn't work out at the Combine. He said that the #1 challenge he'll face as a rookie is "money management." He's an admirer of Ricky Williams. His ability to catch the ball has been totally thrown into question. He's a plodder that may not have a 30+ yard run all season long.

How are these guys comperable, again?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Frankly, it's insanity to compare Cedric Benson and Ladanian Tomlinson, as well. LT is essentially the best all-around runningback in the NFL. He can run, he can catch, he can block, he's totally selfless, he's great in the community. He's a threat to score a touchdown every time he touches the ball. He may go over 2000+ rushing yards twice before his career is over. He extended his deal with San Diego when they were the worst team in the NFL and the coaching situation looked like it was a disaster. All he wants to do is win.

Cedric Benson was arrested twice in college. He hasn't played a single NFL snap. He didn't work out at the Combine. He said that the #1 challenge he'll face as a rookie is "money management." He's an admirer of Ricky Williams. His ability to catch the ball has been totally thrown into question. He's a plodder that may not have a 30+ yard run all season long.

They both played college football in the state of Texas :D .

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

Have you watched Benson play at all. I think he is going to be a great back and will have a great career. Whether he is going to have a better career then Tomlinson who knows. I just think Benson will be a lot better RB than Travis Henry.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Snakester said:
Have you watched Benson play at all. I think he is going to be a great back and will have a great career. Whether he is going to have a better career then Tomlinson who knows. I just think Benson will be a lot better RB than Travis Henry.

And that's fine, even if I disagree. But you compared Benson to the best all-around running back in the NFL, who is also one of the best people in the NFL, as well.

I've seen Benson play. I don't think his style translates as well to the Pro game. I think that he could just as easily be Ron Dayne as Ricky Williams. I actually expect him to be more Ron Dayne, because I think that his feet aren't as quick as Ricky's were. I really don't like him for our offense, when we expect the runningback to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as protect the quarterback in the pocket--neither of which Benson has ever shown he can do effectively.

I think that Benson might have a solid five years in the NFL, but I don't expect him to want to take the pounding for eight seasons or more. The guy's logged a lot of carries, and there are questions about his passion for the game. There are no questions about LT's passion. That's generally what I'm concerned about. There's no comparison between the two beside the one that CBus brought up.

EDIT: It should also be noted that you thought that L.J. Shelton was a solid offensive tackle, a position that no one in the NFL seems to agree with.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
And that's fine, even if I disagree. But you compared Benson to the best all-around running back in the NFL, who is also one of the best people in the NFL, as well.

I've seen Benson play. I don't think his style translates as well to the Pro game. I think that he could just as easily be Ron Dayne as Ricky Williams. I actually expect him to be more Ron Dayne, because I think that his feet aren't as quick as Ricky's were. I really don't like him for our offense, when we expect the runningback to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as protect the quarterback in the pocket--neither of which Benson has ever shown he can do effectively.

I think that Benson might have a solid five years in the NFL, but I don't expect him to want to take the pounding for eight seasons or more. The guy's logged a lot of carries, and there are questions about his passion for the game. There are no questions about LT's passion. That's generally what I'm concerned about. There's no comparison between the two beside the one that CBus brought up.

EDIT: It should also be noted that you thought that L.J. Shelton was a solid offensive tackle, a position that no one in the NFL seems to agree with.

I still think LJ Shelton is a solid OT. Your statement that no one in the NFL seems to agree with is a bit far fetched don't you think.

As far as Benson, He has shown that he can block well and he is a good receiver out of the backfield. I watched a lot of game film on him and I thought he did a good job at both. But don't take my word for it. Look at different draft mags and see what they have to say about him. I have a Sporting news mag in front of me and it says for Benson- Hands/routes. ( Is a smooth short-yardage receiver with reliable hands). Gave him an 8.1 grade. for blocking it gave him an 8.5 grade and said he uses his size and power well at the point of attack. Also said he was adequate in pass protection.

As far as comparing similarities between the two backs. I wasn't comparing them as being similar backs. I was making a statement that I thought Travis Henry was not nearly as good a back as either one of them. I could have used Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James for that example as well, LT was just the first top back that came to mind.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both have faults. But I say Henry and do not sign him long term until offseason so he'd only cost us 1.25 million is he's a bust. If he's a stud resign him to long term deal. Henry will be motivated by big pay day, Benson would get his before playing a down in the pros. Ala Wendell Bryant, and we don't want that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan