BENSON or HENRY???

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
Actually the number is 30%. Two years a go I did some research to see what the hit rate on 1st and 2nd round QBs RBs and WRs since 1985 was. QBs had the "best" sucess at around 50% while running backs were by far the biggest gamble with an overwhelming 70% of the picks a huge bust.

Benson looks really impressive and Henry has his share of ?????, but trading for Henry opens SOO many more options to us in the draft that I have to say Henry is the best solution for our running back needs at this point.

Go back and look at the past drafts. RB is by far the safest pick, where QBs and CBs are by far the hardest to predict. Don' t know where you got your research from.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Henry.

3. Does a dude who refuses to work out at the Combine impress you with his overall "desire to compete" with the best RB's in his draft class?

you can't really fault benson for that. it's been common practice for potential top choices not to work out at the combine. just b/c brown and cadillac did so THIS year doesn't change years of common practice. you might be able to find warts on benson, but this is a stupid one.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be happy either way, So far every move Green has made was a good one. So whatever he feels is the best move, No more trading down landing Pace and Johnson, so far Green, Graves and Mike Bidwill are making kick ass moves.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Go back and look at the past drafts. RB is by far the safest pick, where QBs and CBs are by far the hardest to predict. Don' t know where you got your research from.

so you're just gonna go and call him out as a liar, huh? well done. he said he did research. don't you think that includes looking at "past drafts"????

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so you're just gonna go and call him out as a liar, huh? well done. he said he did research. don't you think that includes looking at "past drafts"????

Wow, I don't remember calling anyone a liar.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
right. RB never busts. Just ask Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis and Kajanna Carter. Ask Ron Dayne. Ask Thomas Jones :eek:.

Look, if the man says he ran the numbers he DID look at past drafts.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I want a star RB who can consistently pound 1400yrds. Benson

Not an average back who will get you 1000-11000. Henry

I also like the Ladanian vs. Henry comparison.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
JPlay said:

I went back and looked at past drafts, THAT'S where I got my information from. I looked at every single RB drafted since '85 and only about 30% of them ended up being full time starters in the league.

And you're wrong about QBs. At 50% they are one of the safer picks in the 1st round.

Where did you do your research?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Wow, I don't remember calling anyone a liar.

by saying that rb is the safest pick and telling him to go back and look through past drafts when the man just got done telling you that he's done research and come up with a 70% bust number is practically calling him out as not beleiving either (a) that he didn't do the research, or (b) he can't do math. liar or idiot, take your pick.

i'm just kinda stirring the pot 'cuz i'm bored.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Not a Henry fan but it is ironic that you throw out those numbers since Henry has actually reached them while benson has yet to carry a ball in the NFL.

The primary difference is Benson is bigger, younger, and healthier. They're very similar backs neither one is a big play guy, neither one great in the passing game, but they both consistently get yards, move the chains, and fumble just enough to be a concern.

If we take Benson I'll be fine, if we get Henry and draft someone else I'll be fine, but neither guy really thrills me.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if a RB that rushed for 2000 yards in college turned out to be a bust? (Referring to the possibility of drafting Arrington)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Anyone know if a RB that rushed for 2000 yards in college turned out to be a bust? (Referring to the possibility of drafting Arrington)

RASHAN SALAAM!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:

that kid from Iowa State back in the mid-90's who didn't even win the Heisman - don't remember his name.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i'm just kinda stirring the pot 'cuz i'm bored.

I'll just stir the pot too:

I want Shipp! *GRIN* Screw the Henry trade keep Shelton, go CB in the 1st round let Shipp get the starters roll, draft a back in the 2-3 round and let him earn the starter job behind Shipp.

seesred

Reaction score
I think we would be better off if we got Henry. It's like getting two for one. With the number 8 we could take Benson or one of the CB's. It would give us more options. If we don't get Henry and if Bensons not there than we take a top player number 1 and maybe a JJ Arrington number 2. Henry had in his first 3 years with the Bills over 4 YPC and way over 3000 yards against NFL talent.THe first year he didn't play much. He is a player and IF healthy he is the better choice IMO.

GBR

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Ok but what if you can have 1100 yards and 4 additional turnovers with a decent CB since...well....we have only one, my friend? The turnovers are much more valuable than 300 yards broken up over 16 games, in my opinion. I've never seen a 20 yard run seal a game the way a late quarter Int does.
In all seriousness you are holding out hope that Benson, who's carried the ball a mere 10K times in college, is going to be this stud for years to come. I point to exhibit A: Marcel Shipp. Great college back...a real workhorse if you will. Scouts questioned how much he had left in the tank and by all accounts they have been right, to date. You can argue the same about LT but the Marcel Shipp's of the league are far more common than the LT's.

Play it safe and improve the TEAM as dramatically as you can instead of just one position. After all you saw how well LT did carrying a craptastic 4-12 team when the rest of the team wasn't improving around him.

PK1

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not a Henry fan but it is ironic that you throw out those numbers since Henry has actually reached them while benson has yet to carry a ball in the NFL.

The primary difference is Benson is bigger, younger, and healthier. They're very similar backs neither one is a big play guy, neither one great in the passing game, but they both consistently get yards, move the chains, and fumble just enough to be a concern.

If we take Benson I'll be fine, if we get Henry and draft someone else I'll be fine, but neither guy really thrills me.

Better yet, those are what the Old Henry did and what Benson shall do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that kid from Iowa State back in the mid-90's who didn't even win the Heisman - don't remember his name.

Troy Davis.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Better yet, those are what the Old Henry did and what Benson shall do.

Your argument has little to no merit. The old Henry? Do you mean the one that is only 26 and has had two season in the NFL with the type of success you said you want?

The Henry that has NOT HAD ANY MAJOR INJURIES like you claim. But also has shown to be a warrior and play through injuries?

One year removed from two pro-bowl caliber season does not make Henry the ? mark you are making him out to be.

I like Benson. But if we can get a young talented RB like Henry then you do it. Then you go into the draft with another hole filled and in better position to make this team a winner faster!

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Pariah said:
right. RB never busts. Just ask Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis and Kajanna Carter. Ask Ron Dayne. Ask Thomas Jones :eek:.

Look, if the man says he ran the numbers he DID look at past drafts.

Just ask Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Cade McNown, Jim Drunkenmiller, Tim Couch, Tony Banks, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Tommy Maddox, Akili Smith

I'm sure future busts not yet concrete will be Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Kyle Boller, Patrick Ramsey, Quincy Carter

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Your argument has little to no merit. The old Henry? Do you mean the one that is only 26 and has had two season in the NFL with the type of success you said you want?

The Henry that has NOT HAD ANY MAJOR INJURIES like you claim. But also has shown to be a warrior and play through injuries?

One year removed from two pro-bowl caliber season does not make Henry the ? mark you are making him out to be.

I like Benson. But if we can get a young talented RB like Henry then you do it. Then you go into the draft with another hole filled and in better position to make this team a winner faster!

No, I'm talknig about the Henry who is coming off of two leg injuries and had 326 yrds in 5 games last year when his job was on the line. I'm talking about he Travis Henry whos ypg has gone down the last two yrs from 4.1 to 3.5 which is awful. I'm talking about the guy who is in the last year of his contract and will be unhappy to be in the same situation next year as he was in last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The list I found is from 2003 so it's not current but:

Barry Sanders 2628 1988
Marcus Allen 2341 1981
Troy Davis 2185 1996
LaDainian Tomlinson 2158 2000
Ricky Williams 2124 1998
Byron Hanspard 2084 1996
Rashaan Salaam 2055 1994

Arrington had 2018.

I found them in PDF and so small I have to print the page to see what's on it so I don't have the YPC numbers but I doubt many of those guys on the list are much higher than 7YPC.

Sanders and Allen were all time greats, Davis, Salaam and Hanspard busts, LT looks like HOF, Ricky was damn good before he retired.

So 4 worked out really well and 3 didn't.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The list I found is from 2003 so it's not current but:

Barry Sanders 2628 1988
Marcus Allen 2341 1981
Troy Davis 2185 1996
LaDainian Tomlinson 2158 2000
Ricky Williams 2124 1998
Byron Hanspard 2084 1996
Rashaan Salaam 2055 1994

Arrington had 2018.

I found them in PDF and so small I have to print the page to see what's on it so I don't have the YPC numbers but I doubt many of those guys on the list are much higher than 7YPC.

Sanders and Allen were all time greats, Davis, Salaam and Hanspard busts, LT looks like HOF, Ricky was damn good before he retired.

So 4 worked out really well and 3 didn't.

Davis and Hanspard were from smaller programs. Rashaan was a pot head.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
No, I'm talknig about the Henry who is coming off of two leg injuries and had 326 yrds in 5 games last year when his job was on the line. I'm talking about he Travis Henry whos ypg has gone down the last two yrs from 4.1 to 3.5 which is awful. I'm talking about the guy who is in the last year of his contract and will be unhappy to be in the same situation next year as he was in last year.

Well you are wrong. In that he is only one year removed from his 4.1 yard average.

He had an injury last year. Well boo fricken woo most players in the NFL go through that at some point(his injuries werent serious of career threatening). He is still a legitimate stud at the NFL level regardless of what happened last season. Last season is not the sum of this guy like you are making it out to be. But if that all you want to look at then I really dont know what to say to you. Your mind is obviously made up.

The contract I will give you. But if anything all that does is give the guy more incentive to go out and put up monster #s!

With Henry we know what were getting at this level. In Benson you plain and simply dont.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Davis and Hanspard were from smaller programs. Rashaan was a pot head.

uh - they were from the same size programs as Barry Sanders and LT - both of them playing in the Big 12.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan