Best Instrumentals?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does everyone consider to be the best insturmentals of all-time? I'll list ten personal favorites of mine in no particular order...

1) "Orion" - Metallica
2) "The Ox" - The Who
3) "Green Onions" - Booker T & The MGs
4) "La Villa Strangiato" - Rush
5) "YYZ" - Rush
6) "Erotomania" - Dream Theatre
7) "Peaches En Ragalia" - Frank Zappa
8) "Whale and Wasp" - Alice-In-Chains
9) "Glad" - Traffic
10) "Soul Sacrifice" - Santana

Nearly everything by Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.......

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You need to qualify what you mean by instrumentals.

Could be of any genre (even Symphonic, Classical...etc).....

"Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter and "Rat Salad" by Black Sabbath are 2 others that I'll add at the moment.....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
KLL said:
Could be of any genre (even Symphonic, Classical...etc).....

"Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter and "Rat Salad" by Black Sabbath are 2 others that I'll add at the moment.....

Just about all of Enigma's best stuff is instrumental.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll name albums, and I'm gonna try to stick to the last 15 years or so:

Stanley Jordan - Live in New York (best jazz guitar disc ever)

Joe Satriani - The Extremist

Steve Vai - Fire Garden (yeah, it has some vocal songs on it, but you find me a better instrumental out there than "Fire Garden Suite")

Gary Hoey - Animal Instinct

Liquid Tension Experiment - Both albums

Oh, and I firmly back up KLL with his DT and Rush entries :thumbup:

therealnod

Reaction score
I think that if Metallica instrumentals are brought up then The Call of Ktulu needs to get mentioned.

SRV's version of "Little Wing" (off The Sky is Crying) is definitive. That's how you cover a song, Mr. Clapton.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
therealnod said:
I think that if Metallica instrumentals are brought up then The Call of Ktulu needs to get mentioned.

SRV's version of "Little Wing" (off The Sky is Crying) is definitive. That's how you cover a song, Mr. Clapton.

Welcome to the forum......

Definitely a good call on "The Call of Ktulu"....Just proves obviously how much of an impact/difference that Burton had on them.... I guarantee that if Burton never died that Metallica wouldnt have ever "sold-out"... In fact.. I tend to believe that they would have gone even further into terroritories of "Prog-Metal"....

Agree about SRV.... Lord .. it seems over the last 2 threads I've posted on has all been about musicians who each had untimely premature deaths..especially in terms of in spite the impact they already had on music that they all still had the ability to take music in a further dimension that will never be explored.....

I just dont enjoy listening to SRV's guitar playing, but his voice suited Blues better than any Blues musician that became popular after the mid-60s.... Hard to believe it's been nearly 15 years since his death... Just seems like yesterday I was watching t.v. and the new report came on about the fatal helicopter crash that claimed his life....I was just so stunned.. No mere words could explain how saddened/shocked I was.... He was such a legend and again over a brief period of time......

Sorry for that tangent.... just in one of those deep reflective moods at the moment! :D

I'll add some more:

1) "Toad" - Cream
2) "Optigan 1" - Blur
3) "Interstellar Overdrive" - Pink Floyd
4) "Eruption" - Van Halen
5) "Cobwebs & Strange" - The Who

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Brandon_Webb said:
My dad and I might drive out to California for a concert by them.

I'm thinking about going to their show at The Wiltern. I believe they have a date scheduled in Phoenix as well.

therealnod

Reaction score
KLL said:
Welcome to the forum......

Definitely a good call on "The Call of Ktulu"....Just proves obviously how much of an impact/difference that Burton had on them.... I guarantee that if Burton never died that Metallica wouldnt have ever "sold-out"... In fact.. I tend to believe that they would have gone even further into terroritories of "Prog-Metal"....

Thanks for the welcome. I actually found this forum through baseball, which is my primary message board topic of choice. Movies and music I like to talk about as well, but baseball is...religion.

About Burton, it's certainly possible that Metallica wouldn't have produced a Load that smelled quite so bad with Burton still in tow. I also believe that it might've become a source of serious tension between Burton and the band. Whatever might've been, we'll still always have the first three albums. Master of Puppets is certainly on the short list for best speed metal album ever and should be in the top 200 of all time, any genre. Probably top 20 if it's just me.

Have you seen Stevie Ray Vaghan and Double Trouble Live at the El Macambo? I was lukewarm on SRV until I saw that. Unbelievable performance. His intensity is eye-popping.

Re: what could've been:
Word has it that Jimi Hendrix was accepted to Juliard and planning to enroll around the time of his death. Think about that, if you didn't already know and haven't already thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan