Best Mexican Food in the Valley

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other people in LA might think I'm crazy (Angelenos do when I say this) but I always miss Arizona Mexican food because over here it's all just a bunch of taco shops and not much else.
Not this Angeleno. Phoenix’s Mexican food towers over LA’s.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Not this Angeleno. Phoenix’s Mexican food towers over LA’s.
Meh, you were from Phoenix first. You don't count. LAs food scene is overrated overall. I've had better Mexican, Indian, Pizza, AND Chinese in Phoenix than I have in Los Angeles, and I'm the type who scours Yelp for good restaurants.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No it doesn't. But if I eat somewhere that has a tasty salsa that lacks heat, I lament the missing spice and would probably mention it in a forum such as this. If I eat somewhere that doesn't have a tasty salsa, I just don't eat there again.
We drown our food in salsa. We go through jugs in my house. One time we ate a place and the salsa tasted like it was made with V-8. We didn't eat there again.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am biased, but Yuma Mexican food is way better than Phoenix. Again, I am admitting I am biased. I have met people who have lived in Yuma here in Phoenix, and they miss the Yuma Mexican food, too.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you're in far west valley (Avondale / Litchfield Park), Raul & Theresa's is good. The Theresa Special will put some hair on your chest.

Central Phoenix my go to is Comedor Guadalajara (Central and just north of 1-17). Gets busy for dinner on weekends (usually 45 to 1 and a half wait), best bet is lunch if you are in a hurry.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in the Valley but if you happen to be in Tucson this place is Amazing!

The one off Prince Road just north of UofA.

Stopped by for lunch while my daughter unpacked her stuff as she moved into her sorority house. OH MY! The Cadillac Margaritas were amazing! The Chicken Mole Enchiladas were to die for! They make fresh salsa at the table when you are seated. Amazing!

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not in the Valley but if you happen to be in Tucson this place is Amazing!

The one off Prince Road just north of UofA.

Stopped by for lunch while my daughter unpacked her stuff as she moved into her sorority house. OH MY! The Cadillac Margaritas were amazing! The Chicken Mole Enchiladas were to die for! They make fresh salsa at the table when you are seated. Amazing!
Yessir, Tucson favorite for sure. The curaco margaritas?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So that's a great question. What in reality is the difference between New Mexican and Mexican food?

Huge difference.

New Mexican style Mexican food is heavily Native American influenced. It’s kind of a mix and because of the hatch Chile there’s a ton of that in the food

Texas Mexican food is heavily influenced by white folks. Finding Mexican in Texas that’s not somewhat Tex-Mex is kinda rare and the Mexican food in Texas is much more bland.

Arizona and California are much more traditional

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want more of an upscale but still authentic place The Mexicano is Scottsdale is legit. This is by far my mine and my wife’s favorite place.

Hey! I was on Yelp and found a business you should see.

Check out The Mexicano

https://yelp.to/EJSQYxrcLz

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If you want more of an upscale but still authentic place The Mexicano is Scottsdale is legit. This is by far my mine and my wife’s favorite place.

Hey! I was on Yelp and found a business you should see.

Check out The Mexicano

https://yelp.to/EJSQYxrcLz
One of the reviews had this tidbit: "their salsa was the star, sad to say." WTF? I love salsa. If a place has great salsa, I go there!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reviews had this tidbit: "their salsa was the star, sad to say." WTF? I love salsa. If a place has great salsa, I go there!
I've been eating at Mexican restaurants since I was a liitle kid in the the late 50's. And while I also like eating at Italian, American, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Lebanese places and elsewhere, I'm sure that I've eaten in Mexican restaurants more than all other types of food combined. Not once have I eaten at a Mexican restaurant and failed to find something I enjoyed by the second visit at most, as long as the salsa/hot sauce is good. If the salsa isn't good, I never make a second visit. So, to me, the salsa being the star isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
The original Chef retired, and this is the only restaurant in the chain I think she kept. I believe this was her restaurant that was on Food Network.
Are we talking about the same restaurant? Bacanora is owned by Chef Rene Andrade. I don’t think it’s a chain.

Why this Phoenix restaurant was on HBO's 'Hard Knocks in Season' — and what didn't air

If the above article is paywalled:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same restaurant? Bacanora is owned by Chef Rene Andrade. I don’t think it’s a chain.

Why this Phoenix restaurant was on HBO's 'Hard Knocks in Season' — and what didn't air

You are 100% right! I got the wrong restaurant! :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I've been eating at Mexican restaurants since I was a liitle kid in the the late 50's. And while I also like eating at Italian, American, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Lebanese places and elsewhere, I'm sure that I've eaten in Mexican restaurants more than all other types of food combined. Not once have I eaten at a Mexican restaurant and failed to find something I enjoyed by the second visit at most, as long as the salsa/hot sauce is good. If the salsa isn't good, I never make a second visit. So, to me, the salsa being the star isn't a bad thing.
I was thinking of Barrio Cafe!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bacanora is my favorite tequila region. Which is what I have been having today for pain management. Which is why my food game is off!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

My friend is renting out Bacanora for his wife's 50th BDay party. I finally get to try it this Saturday night!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22