Best Mexican Food in the Valley

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was just going to say Dick's Hideaway/Richardson's. Their adovada and enchiladas are so good. They have multiple sauces that have been perfected over decades and they cover so many flavors. They have amazing protein options that come and go, fresh seafood, prime rib, steaks, specials, you really want to ask what's new after you try the staples. It's not everyday, but on occasion they make carnitas and I almost rose to Heaven the last time I tried it. If you want hot, but with serious flavor, get some habanero sauce on the side. Did I mention a fully stocked bar?

I think I know where I'm going this weekend! :idea:
NEW Mexican brah :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree about Cocina Madrigal. Their beef tenderloin tacos are amazing!

Has anyone been to Bacanora? It’s right down the street from me and I’ve heard great things about them
Bacanora, the region of Mexico the restaurant is named for has some amazing tequilas. They have their own style of tequila making that is one of my favorites! IDK about the restaurant, just throwing out a tip for what to look for in Tequila!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So that's a great question. What in reality is the difference between New Mexican and Mexican food?
Sounds like the differences are subtle -

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does fry bread count? Because family owned small business Maria's Fry Bread on 40th St and Thomas is amaze balls
Are they still open? Last time I was in town it was closed. I thought they might have been gone for sure. It would be a sad day.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A recent favorite of ours is Maskadores Taco Shop (20 locations valley wide)

We go to the one on McKellips and Miller.

I love the Chicken Vinegaretta Chicken Wet Burrito.
That dish doesn’t even sound Mexicanish lol

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to RELISH going back to AZ (most likely) and be able to eat real Mexican food again.

But I'm pissed. I've worked hard to lose over 50 pounds in the last year and it's going to suck getting a lot of it back.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Other people in LA might think I'm crazy (Angelenos do when I say this) but I always miss Arizona Mexican food because over here it's all just a bunch of taco shops and not much else.
When I lived in Northern Nevada the Mexican food was so bland. I asked one of the owners, and he said when he opened his restaurant, he made food just like home. The customers said it was too spicy to eat. So he cut the spices in half. The customers told him it was better but still too spicy. He said he cut the spices in half again. Then the customers said it was spicy, but they could manage to eat it. So that was why his food was not so spicy.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
When I lived in Northern Nevada the Mexican food was so bland. I asked one of the owners, and he said when he opened his restaurant, he made food just like home. The customers said it was too spicy to eat. So he cut the spices in half. The customers told him it was better but still too spicy. He said he cut the spices in half again. Then the customers said it was spicy, but they could manage to eat it. So that was why his food was not so spicy.
I had a similar experience in MN.

Was at a place with my brother in law, strip mall family kind of place.

When asked we mentioned that there didn't seem to be much spice

They mentioned they could make dishes spicier, but we're hesitant to do so.

We said please do.

They said - nope, we want to try enjoy your meal.

We'd enjoy it more with a bit of spice.

So on and so forth - they were really reluctant

We negotiated over spice levels and pretty much told them to go full throttle

They bring it a couple of items and I swear they expected us to die - probably in account of being near translucent. Had kitchen staff peeking through the door.

They definitely turned it up, but to a level that we maybe just above average or what would be normally typical for a dish.

We didn't die

I think they were disappointed

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I had a similar experience in MN.

Was at a place with my brother in law, strip mall family kind of place.

When asked we mentioned that there didn't seem to be much spice

They mentioned they could make dishes spicier, but we're hesitant to do so.

We said please do.

They said - nope, we want to try enjoy your meal.

We'd enjoy it more with a bit of spice.

So on and so forth - they were really reluctant

We negotiated over spice levels and pretty much told them to go full throttle

They bring it a couple of items and I swear they expected us to die - probably in account of being near translucent. Had kitchen staff peeking through the door.

They definitely turned it up, but to a level that we maybe just above average or what would be normally typical for a dish.

We didn't die

I think they were disappointed

I've had the hottest Mexican food in my life here in MN. After having lived in Az for 35 years and having to been to all the good spots in Az -- I almost fell off my chair when I was eating at Barrio in St Paul.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I've had the hottest Mexican food in my life here in MN. After having lived in Az for 35 years and having to been to all the good spots in Az -- I almost fell off my chair when I was eating at Barrio in St Paul.
I'll have to put it on the list and let my brother in law know

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat