Best pick of our draft

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Cooper, Taylor, and Honey Badger all stud starters by 2015.

Jefferson will make team too.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Make the team? The Big Prez will end up being the best pick in this draft.

Haha Im talking Tony Jefferson man. You talking DC?

IMO there is NO way any player drafted by Az is better at his position then Cooper is at his. Thats our Steve Hutchinson right there.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Haha Im talking Tony Jefferson man. You talking DC?

IMO there is NO way any player drafted by Az is better at his position then Cooper is at his. Thats our Steve Hutchinson right there.

Of course I'm talking about D.C. Jefferson. We didn't draft the other Jefferson. This thread was best-pick-of-our- draft so that excludes the UDFAs.
:)

8 years from now when taking into consideration where each was drafted and how much money they cost against the cap and the production the Cards got from each and who is still on the team the Big Prez will turn out to be the man. Meanwhile Cooper will be playing in Miami where he signed a Billion $ contract the Cards wouldn't match.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
in Order:

Cooper - Staple
Minter - Staple
Ellington - Possibly RB OTF, Gamebreaker
Watford - Probable Staple
Tyrann - 50-50
Okafor - Acho 2.0 (great player, but not a star)
Swope - A+ Value
Taylor - Solid but probably the odd man out. Only real ability is blocking
Jefferson - Long shot, but a need and the talents there

And thats with the consideration that the bottom picks were great picks too.

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The best pick was hiring Arians and promoting Steve Keim. I wouldn't have had much hope with Graves and Whisenhunt in charge. But I give the Cooper, Okafor and Ellington picks an A+

no kidding. They've been here a few months and already made better roster moves than Graves/Whiz did the whole time they were in charge (our SB and NFCW champion teams were built by Denny Green then subsequently destroyed by the Whiz/Graves choices. Whether awful money management, poor negotiating, or just letting good players walk)

as for this draft and who specifically I think is a great value for their pick. Pretty much every pick.
-Cooper or Warmack was the right choice at 7, some prefer one or the other but as long as we got one of em, I'm happy.
-We needed help at ILB and with DWash missing the first 4 games, we needed help desperately. Minter is short but a hard player from a great program. I am concerned on how well he'll be able to read a QB's eyes in coverage with the big linemen, but the SEC has big lines and he did fine.
-Honey Badger is a risk. But a calculated one. I have no doubt the FO spoke with him and PP extensively to make sure he could stay disciplined. He's a 1st or 2nd round talent with maturity issues. But if he stays on track, he's a steal.
-Alex Okafor was a steal. I thought he'd be gone in the 2nd. We needed improvement on the pass rush and we got solid talent at a bargain. I wanted a Safety here, but when Okafor was still available, it was an easy decision
-I don't know anything about Earl Watford. But OG was pretty pathetic last year. And still cost $10M/yr between the 2 of em. Adding depth on the cheap is always welcome. Hopefully between him and Kelemete, we can let the other 2 go by next year
-I LOVE the Stepfan Taylor pick. He's another that I didn't think would be around nearly so late in the draft. I think he's the best RB on the roster right now and we got him in the 5th. Serious value
-Swope is a fast kid. 6th rd picks are usually gambles and this is no different. But if developed right, he can be a serious deep threat. With Fitz and Floyd out there as well, we could really spread the field
-We let LSH walk and did a stellar job replacing him. I hear the kid is supposed to be better in every way. Had some great moves in his highlights.
-Taking a big TE with our last pick, I know Arians likes having TEs so I'm guessing he sees something in this kid. I hope he ends up being a solid contributor

I'm very excited with this draft. We've addressed almost every position we needed with solid players and took some big value guys that can make a big impact. I can't wait to see em play now

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like it or not, it could very well end up being the Badger. Of course, he could also end up being the worst. I believe that's what you call high risk, high reward.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Minter is short

Again I don't get this. He's the same height as Navarro Bowman. An inch shorter than Gerald Hayes. Yet I keep hearing and reading this and not just on ASFN. Is his listed 6'0" exaggerated or something?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Jonathan Cooper

The guy is medicine for our offensive line.

I cannot stress enough how he takes the pressure off the interior of our line.

He can play LG, OC, and RG.

The team can just look to improve anywhere on the interior of the line, and Cooper can be moved around to get the best 5 on the field, and excel in any of the three positions.

The way I am looking at it is, the Cardinals have Cooper, and Sendlein for 2013 as their top interior players, and they will have about 4 to 5 players fighting for the last spot on the line.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minter is short

Again I don't get this. He's the same height as Navarro Bowman. An inch shorter than Gerald Hayes. Yet I keep hearing and reading this and not just on ASFN. Is his listed 6'0" exaggerated or something?
6' 0" NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kevin-minter?id=2540159

6' 1" NFL combine

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Kevin&l=Minter&i=10125

6' 0" LSU site

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89708&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And Te'o is 6'1". So why are so many sources calling Minter short?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I truly like this draft. I feel that the #7 pick of Johnathon Cooper set the tone for it however, by being the perfect fit for our circumstances. Great value, great leadership skills, great flexibility, and a VERY solid person as well. I love this pick for us as it immediately told me that BASK was going to deliver on their promise to us. They followed their plan without faltering, and complimented their free agent acquisitions.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The least sexy (and possibly most obvious) pick will prove to the best IMO: Jonathan Cooper. He instantly improves the entire line. Adding Coop next to Levi solidifies that left side. Cooper will have a huge impact on Levi and elevates his game instantly. Levi has played next to colossal chumps @ G, guys he couldn't depend on. There's nothing worse than playing next to a dude on the line who is inconsistent, because you're always peeking. You're more hesitant and slower, because you don't know if he's going to pick up his guy or slide where he's supposed to. Cooper changes all that. Levi can now focus on driving his guy wide and deep instead of worrying about him crashing inside and beating the G next to him. Cooper further allows you to use your blocking RB's and TE's almost exclusively for the right side blitzers. That's what one franchise guard brings you. All that and more.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Man I keep trying to force myself to like this guy Minter but I haven't seen nothing that excites me. I would rather have Te'o I think he would compliment Washington better.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Will this help?

Started all 13 games at middle linebacker

Finished year with 130 total tackles, which ranks as the fourth-highest single-season total in LSU history

The 130 tackles ranked third in the SEC and 14th in the nation

Received the Charles McClendon Award as the team MVP and was named a permanent team captain for the 2012 season in a vote by his teammates

His 15.0 tackles for loss led the Tiger and ranked No. 4 in the SEC

It also tied for ninth on the LSU all-time single-season list

Had six games of at least 10 tackles, including a career-best 20 vs. Florida

His 20 tackles against Florida rank No. 2 in LSU single-game history, equaling the total that Rudy Harmon (1988) and Toby Caston (1986) produced, and one short of the school-record 21 recorded by Al Richardson against South Carolina in 1982

His 17 solo tackles at Florida were the most by anyone in college football during the 2012 season and the most in a single-game in LSU history, bettering the previous mark of 15 set by Ali Highsmith (2007), Trev Faulk (2000) and Charles Smith (1999)

Earned SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his play vs. Florida

Closed out season with 19 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack in Chick-fil-A Bowl game vs. Clemson

The 19 tackles were an LSU Bowl Game record and ties for eighth in college football bowl game history

Other double-figure tackle games came vs. Texas A&M (12), Ole Miss (11), and Arkansas (10)

Earned several National Defensive Player of the Week honors, as well as SEC Defensive Player of the Week, for his performance against Texas A&M (12 tackles, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, 2 QB hurries, 1 pass breakup and an interception)

Played key role in LSU holding eventual Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel to his worst offensive day of the year with just 23 rushing yards and three interceptions in the 24-19 LSU victory ... It was the only game in 2012 that Manziel did not account for either a touchdown

Led the team with nine stops, including 1.5 tackles for loss vs. Towson

Tallied nine tackles and two pass breakups in win over Washington

Posted eight tackles, including two tackles for a loss, against Mississippi State

Tied for the team lead with seven tackles against Alabama, and he added a PBU and QB hurry against the Tide ... Racked up nine tackles and one QB hurry versus South Carolina.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=3660011

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
Cooper because he was a safe pick in what was a very weak top half of a draft class. Too many boom or bust types for my taste.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Minter is short

the listed height I saw for him was 5'11". That's short. He plays much bigger, but there will always be concerns about a guy so short seeing over all the much larger players
Will this help?

Started all 13 games at middle linebacker

Finished year with 130 total tackles, which ranks as the fourth-highest single-season total in LSU history

The 130 tackles ranked third in the SEC and 14th in the nation

Received the Charles McClendon Award as the team MVP and was named a permanent team captain for the 2012 season in a vote by his teammates

His 15.0 tackles for loss led the Tiger and ranked No. 4 in the SEC

It also tied for ninth on the LSU all-time single-season list

Had six games of at least 10 tackles, including a career-best 20 vs. Florida

His 20 tackles against Florida rank No. 2 in LSU single-game history, equaling the total that Rudy Harmon (1988) and Toby Caston (1986) produced, and one short of the school-record 21 recorded by Al Richardson against South Carolina in 1982

His 17 solo tackles at Florida were the most by anyone in college football during the 2012 season and the most in a single-game in LSU history, bettering the previous mark of 15 set by Ali Highsmith (2007), Trev Faulk (2000) and Charles Smith (1999)

Earned SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his play vs. Florida

Closed out season with 19 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and a sack in Chick-fil-A Bowl game vs. Clemson

The 19 tackles were an LSU Bowl Game record and ties for eighth in college football bowl game history

Other double-figure tackle games came vs. Texas A&M (12), Ole Miss (11), and Arkansas (10)

Earned several National Defensive Player of the Week honors, as well as SEC Defensive Player of the Week, for his performance against Texas A&M (12 tackles, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, 2 QB hurries, 1 pass breakup and an interception)

Played key role in LSU holding eventual Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel to his worst offensive day of the year with just 23 rushing yards and three interceptions in the 24-19 LSU victory ... It was the only game in 2012 that Manziel did not account for either a touchdown

Led the team with nine stops, including 1.5 tackles for loss vs. Towson

Tallied nine tackles and two pass breakups in win over Washington

Posted eight tackles, including two tackles for a loss, against Mississippi State

Tied for the team lead with seven tackles against Alabama, and he added a PBU and QB hurry against the Tide ... Racked up nine tackles and one QB hurry versus South Carolina.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=3660011
D.C. Jefferson?

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
Minter measured out as a little over 5' 11 1/2" which is meaningless. London Fletcher would love that height. Of course, Minter would love his speed, on the other hand.

Last edited: