Best pick of our draft

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not the best rated player, pick for pick. Like did you like Cooper more as our first round pick than say...Honey in the third? Which pick did we get our best value, I plum like them all, Honey (while somesay he's too small or too dumb to stay out of trouble) was awesome. Cooper was chosen for a reason, or should I dare say reasons, mixture of BPA there with some need but I wasn't in the war room. Minter was extra valuablein the second because we got him and the RB because of moving back. Taylor could surprise some people, I think he can do it all and his little "juke" to the left move is fina and dandy.

So believe it or not, I think we got our best value in the second round. We got Minter (another LSU cat) and a full service RB in Taylor.

No polls were harmed in the making of this thread.

EDIT: I suck, I think I got some picks mixed up. :bang: :D

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with them all. I don't know much about the TE... But many guys we mentioned on this site...

Although, we did have 9,000,000,000 mocks.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honey Badger in the third has the potential to be the highest impact pick.

Cooper however, was the best pick. We didn't reach, we weren't stupid and we took a fantastic player that fit the system to a T.

I really like Ellington late, and Swoope too, but they aren't going to be high impact.

Okafor was the best value pick.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honey Badger in the third has the potential to be the highest impact pick.

Cooper however, was the best pick. We didn't reach, we weren't stupid and we took a fantastic player that fit the system to a T.

I really like Ellington late, and Swoope too, but they aren't going to be high impact.

Okafor was the best value pick.
That about sums it up for me also.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The best pick was hiring Arians and promoting Steve Keim. I wouldn't have had much hope with Graves and Whisenhunt in charge. But I give the Cooper, Okafor and Ellington picks an A+

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
As far as value in the round they were taken. Okafor, Ellington, Swope, Cooper, Taylor,Minter,Watford,Jefferson then Mathieu. In that order. I think we could have taken the Honey Badger in the 5th round. I just didn't see anyone picking him before then with his history.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
As far as value in the round they were taken. Okafor, Ellington, Swope, Cooper, Taylor,Minter,Watford,Jefferson then Mathieu. In that order. I think we could have taken the Honey Badger in the 5th round. I just didn't see anyone picking him before then with his history.

It's possible, but I'm guessing someone was taking him later in the 3rd, very likely in the 4th. 3rd and 4th rounders wash out all the time, and his upside is huge.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally disagree on TM. There is absolutely no way he lasts into the 5th. MAYBE the fourth, but not the 5th.

Talent is undeniable - risky pick, but we had the team to mitigate the risk best of anyone, and why wait till the fourth to pick up a first round talent if you think your core of players and coaches, plus a clause-heavy contract, significantly mitigates the risk.

Risk is great - if you are afraid of risk, you won't ever win anything of note. Being able to mitigate risk and reap the reward is the goal. I think (and obviously the brain trust over there does too) that we've got the right strategy to bring the HB to the fore.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't beat Okafor in the forth round. I was very upset we didn't grab him in round 2 even though Minter is very good himself. Shocked he fell to us

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My top three:
1. Cooper
2. Okafor
3. Taylor

Three boom or busts. If they boom, wow.
1. Mathieu (off the field)
2. Swope (injury)
3. Minter (not saying he's a bad pick, but seems slow for the DW position and small for the thumper position. At worst he should be a good ST player and a backup at both ILB spots, but in the second round you need a starter.)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good thought Dawg about the trade back pick for Minter and the extra pick it gave us.

I think that's what I liked most about this draft. Trading back twice and getting the extra picks in a very deep draft.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Picks based on their ability to help the Cardinals on the football field or "value in the draft"?

Funny how guys that are free agents that are passed over by teams are considered damaged goods while guys who were rated as 3rd round picks but are passed over and available in the 5th or 6th round are great value. I guess its because people have seen the former in action in the NFL but not the latter.

I don't know that we got one guy who would start right away if DWash wasn't suspended other than Cooper. Mini-Badger maybe because the Cards still haven't addressed their woefully weak Safety situation. I don't know what Arians and Bowles are thinking because they supposedly told a reporter they were going to address the Safety position a couple of months ago, let Wilson and Rhodes go, signed the ancient mariner for one spot, and then passed on several very good Safeties in this draft. Bell and Johnson and the mini-Badger? That's a sure fire recipe to be 32nd in pass defense instead of 5th. And I don't know that they've done that much to improve the run defense. Are Brinkley and Minter that much better than Lenon has been the last 3 seasons? We'll see.

The offense will be much better though. Palmer and better coaching and most likely Cooper should make an enormous difference. In fact I think we're going back to the Cardinals of the 70's all offense all the time. But that's what the NFL wants isn't it? And it got us to the SB. So I'm ok with it.

The Cards got a bunch of grunts. Which is what was expected from this draft. Guys that can possibly change the ratio of late round picks that actually contribute to the team. Nobody special but guys who might actually still be on the team 4-5 years from now.

My guess? 5-11 with the over/under every week around 60.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have been living here in Baton Rouge the past four years and the Honey Badger drama played out over and over on the local news....seamed to be one mis step after another by that kid. I knew the team would draft him and I dont mind, he is one hell of a baller....but I do whole heartedly beleive he would have been there in the fourth,....in fact,...I had figured that was why we made the trade for the extra fourth, to draft the badger...third was too early...IMO no other team was gonna touch him before late fifth or maybe even sixth round.
The Minter pick....not too happy about that one either....we needed more bang from that spot and there was lots of bang available that would have filled a need....really hoping the staff sees something I didnt in the kid.

however.....getting Taylor AND Ellington that late in the draft was awesome...a couple of solid productive backs that should be around for a while..... and they both can pass protect a bit too.

top value from the draft vs rankings......Stepfan Taylor

top value to the team.......Johnathon Cooper

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Picks based on their ability to help the Cardinals on the football field or "value in the draft"?

Funny how guys that are free agents that are passed over by teams are considered damaged goods while guys who were rated as 3rd round picks but are passed over and available in the 5th or 6th round are great value. I guess its because people have seen the former in action in the NFL but not the latter.

I don't know that we got one guy who would start right away if DWash wasn't suspended other than Cooper. Mini-Badger maybe because the Cards still haven't addressed their woefully weak Safety situation. I don't know what Arians and Bowles are thinking because they supposedly told a reporter they were going to address the Safety position a couple of months ago, let Wilson and Rhodes go, signed the ancient mariner for one spot, and then passed on several very good Safeties in this draft. Bell and Johnson and the mini-Badger? That's a sure fire recipe to be 32nd in pass defense instead of 5th. And I don't know that they've done that much to improve the run defense. Are Brinkley and Minter that much better than Lenon has been the last 3 seasons? We'll see.

The offense will be much better though. Palmer and better coaching and most likely Cooper should make an enormous difference. In fact I think we're going back to the Cardinals of the 70's all offense all the time. But that's what the NFL wants isn't it? And it got us to the SB. So I'm ok with it.

The Cards got a bunch of grunts. Which is what was expected from this draft. Guys that can possibly change the ratio of late round picks that actually contribute to the team. Nobody special but guys who might actually still be on the team 4-5 years from now.

My guess? 5-11 with the over/under every week around 60.

Good gravy! You must really hate the Aggies! Swope will take us to heaven, he's the next Kevin Kasper!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good thought Dawg about the trade back pick for Minter and the extra pick it gave us.

I think that's what I liked most about this draft. Trading back twice and getting the extra picks in a very deep draft.

Yeah the depth really showed at RB and WR late. Trading back was a key. Still nailed the picks even though folks here had their favorites.

Only one we missed out for sure is when Schwenke got taken a few picks ahead of where we were. I think they would have liked him, but we trade down get another pick, then p/u another guard in Watford. Good preparation all around.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Them and Ellington sealed the deal. :thumbup:

Solid and filled great needs all around.

Two new interior linemen who can move are huge too. They'll definitely be homies now.

Who cares if they are late round steals if they never get on the field. Swope has 3 of the best WRs in the NFL in front of him. He's the DeMarco Sampson of 2013. But, Arians does like to run 4-5 WR sets so maybe he'll have a shot after all.

Unless they are going to run the wishbone only one RB will be on the field at a time so how are Taylor and Ellington both going to add to the team with Williams and Mendenhall in front of them?

Futures picks maybe. Injuries. I sure hope not as I'd like to see Williams and Mendenhall pay off for us. However, if someone knows more about these RBs that were passed over for 4-5 rounds that would show they can be better than those two fill me in.

A good draft but far from great.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Who cares if they are late round steals if they never get on the field. Swope has 3 of the best WRs in the NFL in front of him. He's the DeMarco Sampson of 2013. But, Arians does like to run 4-5 WR sets so maybe he'll have a shot after all.

Unless they are going to run the wishbone only one RB will be on the field at a time so how are Taylor and Ellington both going to add to the team with Williams and Mendenhall in front of them?

Futures picks maybe. Injuries. I sure hope not as I'd like to see Williams and Mendenhall pay off for us. However, if someone knows more about these RBs that were passed over for 4-5 rounds that would show they can be better than those two fill me in.

A good draft but far from great.

Yeah definitely insurance for Mendenhall and RW. Possibly more. They run hard. Backs from the 5th-6th Rd's see the playing field often in today's NFL.

I think we got needs addressed and some really good values. Not all the names people wanted, but what team does? I'll take it right now.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have been living here in Baton Rouge the past four years and the Honey Badger drama played out over and over on the local news....seamed to be one mis step after another by that kid. I knew the team would draft him and I dont mind, he is one hell of a baller....but I do whole heartedly beleive he would have been there in the fourth,....in fact,...I had figured that was why we made the trade for the extra fourth, to draft the badger...third was too early...IMO no other team was gonna touch him before late fifth or maybe even sixth round.
The Minter pick....not too happy about that one either....we needed more bang from that spot and there was lots of bang available that would have filled a need....really hoping the staff sees something I didnt in the kid.

however.....getting Taylor AND Ellington that late in the draft was awesome...a couple of solid productive backs that should be around for a while..... and they both can pass protect a bit too.

top value from the draft vs rankings......Stepfan Taylor

top value to the team.......Johnathon Cooper
I think Minter will be pretty good, we need someone to be where he's supposed to be and do some odd jobs as well, and I agree on Stepfan. He's not the tryptophan man some make him out to be. The Honey coming into new money and a new big city would typically make me more of a skeptic, but he will be around his friends, and will hopefulyl model his actions and lifestyle after theirs. Good as Raising Cane's sauce.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I think in the end Swopes will be the best value pick - not this year, necessarily, but by next year.