Big 3? Hill makes case as Suns' fourth star - East Valley Tribune

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While several media outlets billed the Boston-Phoenix game as a battle of "The Big Threes," Celtics coach Doc Rivers wondered if someone was getting shortchanged.
Suns castoff guard House finds home with Celtics
Read Jerry Brown's blog, Rim Shots
"Grant Hill's not included?" Rivers asked. "I'm thinking that's almost a Big Four."
The seven-time All-Star has certainly proved to be everything the Suns could have hoped for this season, and his play - both minutes and production-wise - are swinging even higher since they traded away leading rebounder Shawn Marion in the Shaquille O'Neal trade on Feb. 6.
In the last three games heading into Friday, Hill produced his first two double-doubles as a Sun - a 26-point, 13-rebound effort in Golden State and a 17-point, 10-rebound game against the Lakers.
Remember all that talk before the season about wearing down and having to ration his minutes? Hill has averaged 37 minutes in the six games since Marion's departure, and his rebounds have jumped from 4.3 a game before the trade to 7.8 since.
"No more talk about my minutes now, huh?" Hill asked smiling. "We only have (27) games left, so I'm good to go."
Even before the trade, while recovering from an appendectomy last month, Hill was taking notes on how he could raise his production on the boards.
"I was looking at my numbers and saying 'I'm a better rebounder than that,' " he said. "I just got into a bad habit in Orlando playing with Dwight (Howard) just letting him get all the boards, and even with the Pistons letting Ben Wallace get everything. I think I was also so concerned with getting out on the break that I wasn't giving myself a chance."
Rivers, who coached Hill for three of his seven seasons in Orlando, is pleased to see Hill has come out the other side after all those games missed to injury.
"He one of the best, most sincere, people I've ever met - not just athletes or coaches, but people," Rivers said. "I saw what he went through. I wish people could have seen him.
"People were down on him there, because they didn't see him on the floor so to them it was like he wasn't trying. I've never seen a guy work so hard not to play, and 90 percent of the guys who have gone through what Grant's gone through would not be playing basketball today."
TIRED? NOT ME
Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni is pleased with how O'Neal bounced back for practice on Thursday, showing no ill-effects from his 29-minute debut. "He didn't get tired in the game. I didn't see it one time," D'Antoni said. "He said he's never felt better. He did everything in practice, and then ran a little also. I'm a little surprised, since he's only played two games (since Dec. 27), but he's happy with where he is.
ANOTHER JOHNSON
The Suns signed free agent Linton Johnson to a 10-day contract, reaching the required roster number of 13 players.
Johnson, who won a championship ring with San Antonio in 2005 and played in Spain for three months after failing to sign with an NBA team this year, watched Friday's game in street clothes.
Johnson averaged 4.2 points and 3.0 rebounds in 54 games with New Orleans last year.
QUICK HITTERS
Leandro Barbosa took three stitches over the left eye Friday after absorbing a Kevin Garnett elbow with 4:30 left in the first quarter. ...
The Suns have will have company as suitors if, as expected, Seattle gets down to the 15-man roster limit by buying out Brent Barry's contract. Sources say Boston is interested and San Antonio wouldn't mind have Barry re-sign with the Spurs which he wouldn't be able to do until 30 days after the trade. ...
Tickets for the Suns-Nuggets outdoor preseason game in Indian Wells, Calif., on Oct. 11 go on sale today at all Ticketmaster outlets. ...
O'Neal drove his new wheels to the arena on Friday a jet-black diesel tractor-trailer rig that he had to park in a special area of the parking garage due to its height.

More...