Biggest reason for 9ers success?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider re the 49'ers drafting is that during the years before Harbaugh they were usually drafting in the top 10 ! Plus, as I recall, Staley was their 2nd pick in the 1st round.

Yep several years of high drafts and poor coaching and then you have a loaded roster and hire a great coach.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
FA acquisitions

We are signing

Stewart Bradley
Daryn College
William Gay
Paris Lenon
Adam Snyder

They are signing

Jon Goodwin
Mario Manningham
Randy Moss
Carlos Rogers
Donte Whitner
Justin Smith
Ahmad Brooks

That's a huge difference

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FA acquisitions

We are signing

Stewart Bradley
Daryn College
William Gay
Paris Lenon
Adam Snyder

They are signing

Jon Goodwin
Mario Manningham
Randy Moss
Carlos Rogers
Donte Whitner
Justin Smith
Ahmad Brooks

That's a huge difference
:biglaugh:

"Randy Moss"

Yea his 1.2 catches and 10 Yards per game is just killing it for them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FA acquisitions

We are signing

Stewart Bradley
Daryn College
William Gay
Paris Lenon
Adam Snyder

They are signing

Jon Goodwin
Mario Manningham
Randy Moss
Carlos Rogers
Donte Whitner
Justin Smith
Ahmad Brooks

That's a huge difference

yup... they spend high draft picks on the O-line AND supplement what they already have with impact makers in FA. It's the smart way to go. Continually going after mediocre-below-mediocre players which guys like Colledge, Bradley, Snyder, Gay all were going into FA just isn't the way to go.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Smith's finger injury makes him miss any games it will be interesting to see what happens with Kaepernick. He's a terrific runner but man he throws the ball up for grabs as a passer.

So far I doubt it Smith said he could have stayed in Sunday in fact he was mad they pulled him.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

"Randy Moss"

Yea his 1.2 catches and 10 Yards per game is just killing it for them.

He has primarily been used as a decoy and is still one of the most feared receivers in the NFL.

I don't think there is any doubt he can still go for 1000 yards and 10TDs on a aggressive passing team. Hell, we might even be crowning Kolb as our franchise QB right now if he signed here.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how you get quality linemen. It just matters that you get them. We threw a 1st round pick at Levi and he was almost universally hated here until people saw how much worse it could be than Levi (thank you Batiste).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has primarily been used as a decoy and is still one of the most feared receivers in the NFL.

if this is true, he wouldn't have been out of the NFL for a full year.

I don't think there is any doubt he can still go for 1000 yards and 10TDs on a aggressive passing team.

really? he hasn't had 1000 yards for ANY team since 2009. Hell, he's only had 499 yards since 2009.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is any doubt he can still go for 1000 yards and 10TDs on a aggressive passing team. Hell, we might even be crowning Kolb as our franchise QB right now if he signed here.

WOW! Ok buddy you keep thinking that.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score

really? he hasn't had 1000 yards for ANY team since 2009. Hell, he's only had 499 yards since 2009.

Nah, he wasn't there mentally in 2010 and and took the year off in 2011. Even then, he was still burning guys like Cromartie and Revis during his worst year. Right now, I have only heard nothing but how excellent a job he has done opening up the 49ers offense for guys like Davis and Crabtree.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nah, he wasn't there mentally in 2010 and and took the year off in 2011. Even then, he was still burning guys like Cromartie and Revis during his worst year. Right now, I have only heard nothing but how excellent a job he has done opening up the 49ers offense for guys like Davis and Crabtree.

Did you watch the 49ers game against the Vikings ? They've tried to get moss the ball but he can't run by most DBS nowadays. Granted they are using him a whole lot, but they have tried to hit him deep. He has never been an over the middle guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dick LeBeau. I think he's in the HOF.

San Francisco's success is predicated on the fact that of their 22 starters, something like 14 of them are former 1st- and 2nd-round picks. It's really remarkable the way they've been able to stockpile talent.

Remember how Justin Smith was a career disappointment in Cincinnati?

11 former first round selections starting for the 49ers. 8 of theirs and 3 free agents. And they've got 3 more on the bench.

We've got 4 starters and one is a part time player, Dan Williams, and another is hurt all the time, Todd Heap and 2 on the bench in Floyd and Holliday. We almost have as many 1st round picks on IR as we do on the field. :(

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
While I agree our drafts have not been spectacular. I think lately we have been much much better at drafting talent.

In fact I think our only drawback right now if finding OL talent. beck we ran off our best Olinemen in Lutui

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
While many on this board would refuse to admit it, the facts are pretty plain - the 9ers are a damn good football team and arguably the best team in the NFL at this moment... though, they have a huge test this coming Sunday versus the Giants.
Nonetheless, I was debating with some folks as to what has played the largest role in their turn-around... Some say it was the additional of Harbough. Others say just getting rid of a loon like Singletarry alone was the catalyst. I actually believe it goes deeper than all of that. And IMHO, you need not look no further than their o-line:

Staley - 1st round pick by the 9ers

Iupati - 1st round pick by the 9ers

Goodwin - 5th rounder picked by the Jets back in '02, but, has been incredibly durable and reliable, playing in a whopping 154 games since being drafted!
Now back-up by Kilgore who was drafted in the 5th round by the 9ers in 2011.

Boone - UDFA selected by the 9ers in 2009

Anthony Davis - 1st round pick in 2010 by the 9ers

That is 4 starters that were drafted by the 9ers - 3 of which were 1st round picks!
Now compare that to the Cards current and historical o-lines, and try to do so without barfing... :bang:

You might add a very good QB and a beast of a RB who seems to always move the pile. Did we have a shot at that QB at one time when he was not considered the future of the 49ers and we were looking for a QB? Seems like we are always looking for a QB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one obvious thing you see with SF's line is having good talent in Staley, Iupati and to an extent Davis(hate to say that he's such a dirty player but he is talented) has allowed them to fill in elsewhere. They were a great OL last year starting Snyder. they're a great OL this year starting a UDFA in Alex Boone in Snyders spot(undrafted because of alcohol use in college).

They have the right mix, Goodwin is arguably past his prime but he's still solid, very experienced, and they're able to get solid play out of Boone because the other guys are all good enough to carry him if he struggles.

Our we probably start 3 guys with less talent than Boone, and he's their weakest link.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
11 former first round selections starting for the 49ers. 8 of theirs and 3 free agents. And they've got 3 more on the bench.

We've got 4 starters and one is a part time player, Dan Williams, and another is hurt all the time, Todd Heap and 2 on the bench in Floyd and Holliday. We almost have as many 1st round picks on IR as we do on the field. :(

Who is the 4th starter. I can only think of 3. Williams, Fitz, and PP. Who is the fourth?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Did you watch the 49ers game against the Vikings ? They've tried to get moss the ball but he can't run by most DBS nowadays. Granted they are using him a whole lot, but they have tried to hit him deep. He has never been an over the middle guy.

Well apparently contrary to popular belief you can have a successful offense without having great WRs. Besides Crabtree who else does SF have that is a top notch receiver? Manningham? Ginn Jr.? Jenkins? Moss? Williams? I think Roberts is better than any of them.

I suspect the key to a good offense is in the line and a beast of a RB.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
Anthony Davis development has taken off and he still only 22 years old. Never thought I would say he'll likely be the best OT from that 2010 class.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis development has taken off and he still only 22 years old. Never thought I would say he'll likely be the best OT from that 2010 class.

I don't know I see them play regularly he's certainly much better than what we have but I don't think he's anything great. has cut down on the penalties it seems.

The thing I hate with him is watch him near the pile at the end of plays he's constantly running in and hitting people in the pile. I've seen him called for it several times including in a game against us when i was yelling about it on the game thread. he'd done it like 4 times before they called it.

he's just a dirty player IMO. Iupati when he came in had that rep that and for holding a lot but he's really become a terrific player and I don't think he's dirty at all. Davis can't stand the guy. But if he was on our team I'd probably think he was tough.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't know I see them play regularly he's certainly much better than what we have but I don't think he's anything great. has cut down on the penalties it seems.

The thing I hate with him is watch him near the pile at the end of plays he's constantly running in and hitting people in the pile. I've seen him called for it several times including in a game against us when i was yelling about it on the game thread. he'd done it like 4 times before they called it.

he's just a dirty player IMO. Iupati when he came in had that rep that and for holding a lot but he's really become a terrific player and I don't think he's dirty at all. Davis can't stand the guy. But if he was on our team I'd probably think he was tough.

Agreed he is a little dirty. He has a mean streak but that's not always a bad thing to have on your Oline imo.

Davis has only surrendered half a sack this year according to PFF. He's playing on a pro bowl level through 5 games so far.

Fitzy11

Reaction score

randy moss still draws triple coverage when he goes deep. i seen't it with my own eyes! and every time they do go to him deep there is at least 2 defenders on him. he's still very fast.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed he is a little dirty. He has a mean streak but that's not always a bad thing to have on your Oline imo.

Davis has only surrendered half a sack this year according to PFF. He's playing on a pro bowl level through 5 games so far.

Yeah I've always said Dockett is a dirty player too but he's on my team so I overlook it.

He's a good enough run blocker. To be fair I just don't like the guy because of the dirty factor but you're right that he's better than I admitted he is.

they have lots of talent, the guy I absolutely love on that team is Dashon Goldson he's ALWAYS in the right place. Big hitter, smart, just a terrific player but then that whole defense is pretty damn good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I've always said Dockett is a dirty player too but he's on my team so I overlook it.

He's a good enough run blocker. To be fair I just don't like the guy because of the dirty factor but you're right that he's better than I admitted he is.

they have lots of talent, the guy I absolutely love on that team is Dashon Goldson he's ALWAYS in the right place. Big hitter, smart, just a terrific player but then that whole defense is pretty damn good.

He's playing on a Franchise tender this year--can he play Rhodes' role in the defense? If and when Kerry Rhodes voids his contract, and if we can force a salary reduction on Kolb, we might have some money to pay him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's playing on a Franchise tender this year--can he play Rhodes' role in the defense? If and when Kerry Rhodes voids his contract, and if we can force a salary reduction on Kolb, we might have some money to pay him.

the thing with him is they tried to get rid of him twice and didn't. I suspect they realize now he's pretty good.

I don't see it happening though we're going to keep AW and Rhodes so unless we want to play someone in a role like what Marshall played last season, I don't see us getting a safety in FA.

Love the guy though, always around the ball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky