Bill Simmons on former Cards K Neil O'Donahue..

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
that is my worst memory as a Cardinal fan, Lomax and company where unstopable coming back on the Redskins and that kick was also very strange in the fact there was not flag on it for some reason because I swear there was such little time on the clock that O'Donoghue basically ran onto the field nonstop right into the kick and in classic Cardinal fashion of old...barely missed it

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I was at the first game of that series in '84 at STL when Neil kicked the winner on the last play of the game. Talk about explosive!!! That '84 Big Red offense could basically score at will. Lomax to Green was the most feared deep passing threat in the NFL, ask Darrell Green. Roy repeatedly beat Darrell throughout his NFL career. I really think Jetstream could beat DG in the forty, because I can still see him running off and toasting him in those 2 '84 games.

Does anyone have a copy of those 2 '84 games? The memories...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im surprised I havent seen it mentioned that O'Donohue tried to kill himself following a missed FG when with Tampa Bay. I remember reading the story a long time ago.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

I don't remember that but I know Steve Little attempted suicide right after the Cards cut him. Drove off the road or something weird and wound up critically injured.

The kick against Washington as someone else said, Neil was sprinting onto the field to kick that to beat the clock. It was a 51 or 52 yarder I think so it's not like he missed a chipshot under normal conditions. He ran onto the field to get it off and had to kick a very long kick. Horrible loss but not an easy kick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ole 84 game verus the Redskins what a game, we had no chance to win. If anybody thinks refs and leauge officals decides the outcome of a game go back and watch that game. It had to be one of the most biased games of all time.
Before the game started the refs and NFL knew who was the winner.

Our kicker did not have enough time to set up to get a decent shot.

Yep 10 penalties on us, 1 on them. The one penalty on them was a very late whistled false start that negated a sack by Curtis Greer. In the same game twice Theismann got out of in the grasp and chucked the ball away, no in the grasp called, no grounding called. So later when EJ Junior had him and Joe T tried to spin away, Junior spun him and threw him down. And of course they called roughing the passer.

That was the play that prompted Pat Summerall to say "if you take the aggression out of the game, the stands will be filled with no shows." I had that game on tape for years I finally got sick of it always ending the same way so I got rid of it. Even the announcers working the game were saying over and over how one sided the officiating was.

Lomax was brilliant but he had one crucial mistake. Roy Green was wide open but Neil was under pressure and tried to throw off his back foot. We were in FG range, the ball hung up, Darrell Green, who was badly beaten, got back and picked it off. That one play was just as bad as the missed FG at the end because if Neil jst threw the ball away, we're in easy FG range.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Please, someone have a tape of those 2 '84 games. I want a copy and have looked for soooooo many years.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I recall O'Donahue missing an xp in the game vs Washington at St. Louis, that he eventually won with a fg. He also kicked a game winner at the gun to beat the Eagles at St Louis 17-16. I listened to it on the radio and can still hear Merril Reese calling it; "...and the kick is fading left, its ...fading...fading...fading. Its good!"

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Who bumped this thread!!! This that gave vs. WAS is one of the most emotionally scarring moments of my life!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Please, someone have a tape of those 2 '84 games. I want a copy and have looked for soooooo many years.
I have the Dec. game that knocked cards out of playoffs on DVD!!!!

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
you all suck at spelling, and that game wasn't his fault. the whole team sucked and was only pinpointed at him because it was the end of the game. if you wanna go do football be my guest.

by the way he was originally a soccer player in college and pro those years were his first at football so you go be a pro in 1 or 2 years of football lets see that.

also for all you people you should go do a sport instead of sit on your lazy ass and trash other peoples mistakes to make your life feel better. sorry if it sucks and your only life is complaining about football you all are ****in kindergartners
Neil is that you? Wow what a way to make an asshat of yourself...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
D. Green of the Skins once said when asked what his most memorable moments were playing in the NFL were playing against Mike Quick of the Eagles and especially Roy Green of the Cardinals...getting beat by those guys was an honor few CBs can really appreciate because they were the best of the best...

that is says a lot about those games back then and the talent on the field

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SG: You know what was crazy about that game? I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, that was one for the ages -- the first-ever Triple Stomach Punch Game. We will never see anything like that again." Then I'm watching "SportsCenter" that night and they show a graphic about how Cardinals kicker Neil O'Donoghue missed three overtime kicks in an eventual Monday night tie against the Giants in 1983 (including a 19-yarder).

Perhaps the worst game ever in the history of MNF.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you all suck at spelling, and that game wasn't his fault. the whole team sucked and was only pinpointed at him because it was the end of the game. if you wanna go do football be my guest.

by the way he was originally a soccer player in college and pro those years were his first at football so you go be a pro in 1 or 2 years of football lets see that.

also for all you people you should go do a sport instead of sit on your lazy ass and trash other peoples mistakes to make your life feel better. sorry if it sucks and your only life is complaining about football you all are ****in kindergartners

Wow! Hello Neil!

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I recall O'Donahue missing an xp in the game vs Washington at St. Louis, that he eventually won with a fg. He also kicked a game winner at the gun to beat the Eagles at St Louis 17-16. I listened to it on the radio and can still hear Merril Reese calling it; "...and the kick is fading left, its ...fading...fading...fading. Its good!"

The Eagles game was my first football game. I think it was also the game that Curtis Greer broke Jaworski's leg in the first quarter.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
The Eagles game was my first football game. I think it was also the game that Curtis Greer broke Jaworski's leg in the first quarter.

You are correct. Joe Piczarcik(sp) came in for the eagles and played pretty well in relief.

kiaaa434

Reaction score
haha wow why would i be neil? my names KIANA & i play flag football were #2 in the district =] thats why im so sport obsessed

exmediahack

Reaction score
I do have the following games for DVD from 1983-84:

1983:
NY Giants at St. Louis. Yes, the OT epic. 20-20. Neil misses THREE in OT, including a 19-yarder. O.J. Simpson is just killing O'Donoghue in the booth during the game. Excellent condition.

1984:
Washington at St. Louis. O'Donoghue misses XP and 2 FGs but hits FG late to win it 26-24. Fair condition - it's on VHS but can transfer.
St. Louis at Washington. Great comeback for the Cardinals but they fall short, thanks to Theismann-to-Monk on 3rd and 18 to keep a drive alive. O'Donoghue misses nearly impossible, rushed 50-yarder as time expires. Great game and good condition.

Message me if you want one! :)

- Ex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05