Bills general manager doesn't plan to give Pro Bowl running back contract extension soon

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Posts
397,056
Reaction score
43
Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane was cooking with gas this offseason, dishing out nearly than $600 million in contract extensions.

One player was left off the menu: running back James Cook. Don't expect the two-time Pro Bowler to be served a deal before the season.

Cook revealed he's seeking $15 million per year on Instagram in February then doubled down that he deserves a top three annual salary for a running back as a guest on the Nightcap podcast with Shannon Sharpe and Chad Ochocinco.

The Bills have prioritized retaining their homegrown talent. They doled out extensions to quarterback Josh Allen (six years, $330 million), defensive end Greg Rousseau (four years, $80 million), cornerback Christian Benford (four years, $76 million), wide receiver Khalil Shakir (four years, $53 million) and linebacker Terrel Bernard (four years, $42 million). Some of those contracts were considered team-friendly involving core players who wanted to remain with the organization. Buffalo also restructured defensive tackle Ed Oliver's contract and linebacker Matt Milano took a pay cut.

"I love Jimbo. Proud of his success, just like these other guys we got extended. I don't talk about negotiations. Cook's reps and him put it out there that we did talk so I'm not sharing anything new," Beane told reporters at the NFL's annual meeting in Palm Beach, Florida on Sunday. "It didn't lead to anything as far as closing in on a deal, and so we moved onto the guys that, you know, we were more on same page with.

"At this point, we're onto the draft, once we got Benford done. I don't see us doing a deal anytime soon."


#Bills GM Brandon Beane says they had early extension talks with RB James Cook but moved on after no progress. The team has since extended other players (Shakir, Rousseau, Bernard, Benford) and is now focused on the draft, with no extensions planned for now.

( @BuffaloBills) pic.twitter.com/G5bhq0a9cW

— Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) March 30, 2025

Cook has two consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons and back-to-back Pro Bowls. He was the NFL rushing touchdowns co-leader last year with 16 and scored 18 total touchdowns.

Cook, who will turn 26 in September, is entering the final year of a four-year, $5.8 million rookie deal. His public asking price would make him the third-highest paid running back in the league by average annual value, behind Philadelphia's Saquan Barkley ($20.6 million) and San Francisco's Christian McCaffrey ($19 million).

The Bills could extend Cook, let him test the free agent market or utilize the franchise tag in 2026. The last time a running back was given a franchise tag in the NFL was 2023.

You must be registered for see images attach


Buffalo is turning its attention to the draft, where it has 10 selections including three over the first two rounds.

"We're going to focus on the draft and getting our cap in order, planning for how we cut the 53 (man roster) down. Like I've told you guys, even through we have cap space today, it's on top 51. And so depending on how many players we draft, who we see having the best chance to unseat players and what that looks like at a 53 cut, we've got to plan for that as well.

"But again, just because we don't have (Cook) signed today doesn't mean next year we still can't him done before he gets to free agency."

This article originally appeared on Rochester Democrat and Chronicle: James Cook won't get new contract from Buffalo Bills anytime soon

Continue reading...
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
596,125
Posts
5,536,551
Members
6,348
Latest member
Leahq36
Top