Billups unrestricted free agent

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

Chauncey Billups

Point Guard
Detroit Pistons

2007 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
70 17.0 3.4 7.2 .427 .883

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continute to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has consistently said he is confident the Pistons will be able to re-sign Billups, whose negotiating leverage will be impacted by the small number of teams with significant salary cap space.

Milwaukee and Memphis are two teams with cap space and a need for a point guard, but neither team is expected to have enough space to make a better offer than the one Billups will get from Detroit.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2915747&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Whats the chances of him becoming a Sun?

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the chances of him becoming a Sun?

Off the top of my head I would say somewhere between slim to none. He's A) not a great fit in our system, B) looking for a pay raise which we simply can't afford and C) probably going to resign with Detroit anyways.

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
It does throw a wrench into anything they were planning on doing to obtain Hill. That's if Chauncy doesn't already have a side deal in place to stay a Piston and this step was just a formality.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Billups will either go to the Clippers or re-sign with Detroit. That's my guesses anyhow.

As for his chances of signing with Phoenix? Let's just say the Suns have a better chance of drafting Greg Oden with the 24th pick and Kevin Durant with the 29th.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Chauncey slipped a bit this year. I know because I had him on my fantasy team the last 2 years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um guys.....CB is a starter in this league. No way he would come to the Suns to be a back up.

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Especially since he already has rings.

I'm going to have to chop my fingers off after writing this, but maybe he's trying to be another Robert Horry and jump on the team of another title contender.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
As a back up Point guard for the vet min. Can't be any worse than Banks. He's probably looking to get paid though, not win championships.

Why exactly would he sign for the vet minimum here to back up Nash when he logically could start several places, including the team he's leaving behind??

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is a fair amount of talk about him going to the Bucks because they have a lot of cap space and need a first rate PG.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
billups will sign with the lakers. if they cant land kg. hell maybe billups will go to the lakers even if they can land kg. kobe kg billups scary team right there!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is zero chance Billups will give up the money and a starter role to be a backup. Period.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming Denver has no caproom? He is from Colorado.