Blaine Gabbert Pro prep for combine vid...

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have watched him too much. It's not fun more, because there is nothing to see, it's on to the next guy. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's you get to see.

Chase Daniels was in the same system, exact, and did much better, stat wise or just what you see on tapes. He isn't a good NFL QB, at least not yet, may develop into one, who knows. Gabbert is just a bit taller and with a strong arm, and mobile, and immediately the hype builds up, it's amazing.

But Gabbert needs alot of work with everything from reads to accuracy. He is not even decent on college level when we speak about reads and accuracy. Also what he lacks is touch, he has no sense on where to put the ball to make the YAC's easier or so that the reciever can get the easier catch.

Chase Daniel also had much better receivers (Maclin, Saunders) than did Gabbert. Gabbert did not have one receiver who could get separation downfield this past season. His sophomore year he was practically playing on one leg but didn't miss a start.

But you can't compare Daniel and Gabbert. Especially from an NFL perspective. Gabbert did not fit the system at Mizzou. Chase did. Chase is also less than 6 ft tall. Gabbert is prototypical size.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The more I see of Gabbert, the less I like. I noticed on his videos that he's very inaccurate when under pressure and doesn't stand in the pocket very well. I don't like that he's not throwing at the combine. What can that hurt? You're a QB throwing the football indoors, what's the big deal? People want to call Mallet a system QB, this guy is way more of a system QB than Mallet. I'm officially on the no QB in round 1 bandwagon. Every one of them has too many question marks to be a top 5 pick. If I had to take one at 5, it'd be Newton, and I'm no Newton fan either, just because his ability is off the charts and maybe you get lucky that his off field concerns go away.

Reaction score
To me, when it's all said and done, I think he might be the best QB to come out of this draft. He just seems like a guy that might no start off good like a Sam Bradford, but overtime with hard work and dedication, he will be a very good QB.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah Clausen went from top 10 to 2nd round after interviews at the combine because nobody liked him, he came off as aloof, immature and they were concerned he seemed unprepared to answer questions.

What struck me as amazing is given all the character issues surrounding Newton they're apparently considering taking him #1 overall. Which says 2 things, they must really like Newton's talent to risk the first pick on him with his past. And they must REALLY be down on Clausen if they're considering taking a guy with Newton's issues that high.

Green or Fairley would be such a great pick for them so if they take Newton they either LOVE him, or really don't like Clausen.

If Newton goes that high I think it's likely Gabbert is there when we pick, I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion.

In my opinion, the big difference between the character issues with Clausen vs. the issues with Newton are that Newton is a leader and Clausen is just a jerk. Newton has off the field issues, but he seems to be a master at putting that stuff aside and being a warrior and leader on the field. Players, fans, and coaches may scoff at his off the field discretions, but on the field Newton is a man among boys and has the respect of his teammates because he brings it every game.

If I am an offensive linemen, and I see a guy like Newton lower his shoulder and plow over a linebacker, I want that guy as my leader. I'm not sure what the Auburn players thought of Newton off the field, but he creates magic on the field and the players follow him. Clausen is the polar opposite in that regard.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen much of Gabbert so I have no opinion but I have to ask, are you still high on Jimmy Clausen after his year?

Gil Brandt came out recently saying Carolina should pick Newton #1 overall and apparently the rumor is that Carolina thinks Clausen is so immature they may have another Cade McNown situation where he's eventually dumped because nobody on the team likes him. the GM recently gave him the dreaded vote of confidence and said they haven't given up on him yet and he recently had foot surgery but even that apparently was not in his favor.

I just read they won't take Gabbert but they apparently are strongly considering a QB.

I knew Clausen wouldn't be their long term guy but it's amazing if true I think they will be reaching for any QB they take 1st overall and they are going to have to pass on talents like Fairly or Green that would REALLY fill needs they have on that roster.

I'm sorry, almost forgot I am talking with a person that never predicted a draftpick's future wrong. Especially at QB position :) I thought this thread was about Gabbert? There is not much reason to talk about Clausen suddenly. We had no QB last year, because Leinart is the biggest bust, one of the worst draftpicks ever, and one of the easiest to predict sadly. We had no chance at Bradford. Last year was about drafting the next best QB in the draft next to Bradford. Nobody was saying Clausen was going to dominate, it was about finding someone that sucks less than Leinart does. After a season where all QB's mostly suffered, even Bradford late in the year (this costed the Rams their season), most have shown flashes, inclusive Clausen, we still don't know which of these will turn out to be a good starter, this season proves nothing. Maturity issues may be there, I don't know this guys personally and have not seen his interviews, but tapes were good and he has also shown this year he can make any throw and his mechanics are fine. He can't read an NFL defense yet though. He was also in the worst imaginable situation you can ever be in for a rookie QB. As for the new regime wanting someone else. They always do, they want their own QB. Tebow, the same, as for Clausen. That's almost a rule in NFL, new head coaches want their own QB's, even if the existing ones play well, they make the change many times. QB that had my most interest was Kafka, it will be interesting to see if he could be a starter in this league, he may not get a chance for a while due to being in Philly.

Chase Daniel also had much better receivers (Maclin, Saunders) than did Gabbert. Gabbert did not have one receiver who could get separation downfield this past season. His sophomore year he was practically playing on one leg but didn't miss a start.

But you can't compare Daniel and Gabbert. Especially from an NFL perspective. Gabbert did not fit the system at Mizzou. Chase did. Chase is also less than 6 ft tall. Gabbert is prototypical size.

So Chase has some skills that Gabbert doesn't have at all, if he can execute that offense? I thought someone here mentioned that the offense is based on 3-5 reads? Because the difference in stats and execution of that offense are not even close, Daniel was much better.

Prototypical size. Yeah, i don't bye that at all, that is not what makes a QB. Just look in HOF and tell me what the average size of the QB is. That will make the answer. Half a century of football proves my point. You need to be smart and a leader and be accurate to be a great QB, you need to know how to read defenses. Just because a few of them happen to be bigger than average, it's not the size that does it.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Early? Did Gabbert run over your puppy?

I haven't seen this much hatred towards a player in a long time.

Plus no offense to you, but if this guy is as awful as you are saying he is....why arent we being offered a top 5 pick (possibly the 1st or 3rd overall) for Skelton or Anderson if they are that much better than Gabbert?

I truly believe you are going to be surprised about Gabbert. He has a great body for a QB, he can take a hit while still getting the ball gone, and has a great arm. To compare his accuracy to Anderson or say he is worse than Skelton and Anderson is pretty ridiculous and shows me how little you actually watched him play.

Yes Daniels did run the offense before him, probably better considering he was a senior vs Gabbert has so much less time under center in that offense to compare. Plus Daniels is 5'10 standing on his tip toes, which is why he isn't a starter right now and Gabbert is talked about. Like I said, Gabbert will surprise you when he has his pro day and with whatever team he ends up on. He is a smart QB, who had Luck not decided to come out next year would have been the #1 next year. So now he figured he would compete to be #1 this year.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So Chase has some skills that Gabbert doesn't have at all, if he can execute that offense? I thought someone here mentioned that the offense is based on 3-5 reads? Because the difference in stats and execution of that offense are not even close, Daniel was much better.

You are clearly not understanding offenses. The Mizzou offense as is, is built around QBs like Brad Smith and Chase Daniel. Gabbert is more of a pro-style QB. He did not fit in that offense. The guy that is going to take over next season at Mizzou is much more suited for that style of offense.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Pro Style offense means west coast offense under center. It means being comfortable with progressions. Gabbert is one/two read QB from a shot gun position at best, that's why he is limited by the plays where the first two reads are covered, and that is one of the things that explain why he got so much worse stats than Chase did.

I find this exactly the opposite as you say. Gabbert is best in this type of offense. In an west coast offense, his lack of skills will truly be exposed.

Pro style offense = Christian Ponder. Look also at Stanzi and Devlin, they are also in the mix. But no QB this year is nearly as talented for a pro style offense as Ponder is, in my opinion.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Pro Style offense means west coast offense under center. It means being comfortable with progressions. Gabbert is one/two read QB from a shot gun position at best, that's why he is limited by the plays where the first two reads are covered, and that is one of the things that explain why he got so much worse stats than Chase did.

I find this exactly the opposite as you say. Gabbert is best in this type of offense. In an west coast offense, his lack of skills will truly be exposed.

Pro style offense = Christian Ponder. Look also at Stanzi and Devlin, they are also in the mix. But no QB this year is nearly as talented for a pro style offense as Ponder is, in my opinion.

West Coast Offense is a style of offense used in the pro's, but it is not the definition of a pro style offense. Again, you have your facts misconstrued. We don't run the WCO here in AZ. The Cards run the pro variation of the vertical spread most of the time with some power offense sprinkled in.

And again, you defining Gabbert as a 1 or 2 read QB is 100% false. He clearly goes through his progressions quickly and accurately if you've really watched him, which is becoming more and more evident that you haven't. Now granted, he just like any other QB will get play calls such as a quick slant that are designed for only that player, so he doesn't have to make any other reads, but otherwise, he is routinely going through his progressions.

I will agree with you though, I too like Ponder and Stanzi.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
West Coast Offense is a style of offense used in the pro's, but it is not the definition of a pro style offense. Again, you have your facts misconstrued. We don't run the WCO here in AZ. The Cards run the pro variation of the vertical spread most of the time with some power offense sprinkled in.

And again, you defining Gabbert as a 1 or 2 read QB is 100% false. He clearly goes through his progressions quickly and accurately if you've really watched him, which is becoming more and more evident that you haven't. Now granted, he just like any other QB will get play calls such as a quick slant that are designed for only that player, so he doesn't have to make any other reads, but otherwise, he is routinely going through his progressions.

I will agree with you though, I too like Ponder and Stanzi.

It's not the definition, but it's the most prevalent one in the modern NFL. Going through progressions effectively is both the basis of the west coast offense as well as our offense, and any other form of pro offense, wheter it is derived mostly from the west coast or from the vertical Coryell offense. It doesn't matter at all.

Being accurate and going through progression is the central theme of both these offenses and their derivatives that have mixed components. Our offense is mostly the vertical, but it does have many west coast components. We saw that under Warner, but we still try to use this blend.

I have seen 6 of Gabbert games this week, so that is plenty enough to draw conclusion on what type of player he is.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Ponder and think he would be an excellent choice. I just think that if we want him we might have to take him on the 2nd round.

I suspect the combine will erase some of the fears about him, unless his arm falls off.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
And again, you defining Gabbert as a 1 or 2 read QB is 100% false. He clearly goes through his progressions quickly and accurately if you've really watched him,

Apparently it is not that clear.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-all-the-Blaine-Gabbert-hype.html

Is limited to reading more of just one side of the field, isn’t a guy who routinely is able to scan his way across the entire field and find his secondary options. Has a tendency to drop his eye level far too quickly if there is nothing on with his initial read and will flush himself easily from the pocket backward and toward the opposite side, instead of remaining balanced and stepping up into the pocket, which really takes away from his throwing options.

Not to mention the guy guys into the fetal position when the pressure is on in the 4th quarter. His 4th quarter stats go through the floor big time. I find his competitive fire to be highly lacking. And him not bothering to compete with his biggest competition in the draft at the combine proves that even further.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Wait, what? He isn't working out? Bummer.

Pretty much every one else is but him. Ponder wasnt going to as well, but he changed his mind a few days ago after he saw the reaction he got.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I find his competitive fire to be highly lacking. And him not bothering to compete with his biggest competition in the draft at the combine proves that even further.

That's completely asinine. There are tons of really good QBs in the NFL who skipped out on parts of the combine. It doesn't really prove anything. It's a calculated tactical move that is usually initiated through the advice of the players agent.

He may not have the competitive fire, but that is hardly evidence that should be used to determine whether any player has it or not.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
That's completely asinine. There are tons of really good QBs in the NFL who skipped out on parts of the combine. It doesn't really prove anything. It's a calculated tactical move that is usually initiated through the advice of the players agent.

He may not have the competitive fire, but that is hardly evidence that should be used to determine whether any player has it or not.

While you are right about other QBs deciding not to participate---in this case---when all the others are---Gabbert is taking more than a calculated risk.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with that as well, he is very bad under pressure.

The single biggest difference between a good college QB and a pro QB, is the ability to go from the second to the third target consistenly and keep your mechanics and accuracy. The second and third are usually always accessible with a four man rush and average/solid blocking, fourth sometimes, only the best can do this, fifth requires a 3 man rush. Ability to go fast through those reads is even more important. When you turn to one side, you better have a correct plan B and plan C on that same side. You have exposed your back, made a decision on which pathway of event you want to scan the progressions. And also going through them in the correct direction and order is what makes best pro QB's. Those that show they can't do it on college level, always fail in NFL, one/two read is not enough in the pros. Of those that do show it in college, few of them happen to do the same at the next level, if they also have the other skills.

And even if a player was never asked to do it in college, you can always find a handful of plays where this turned out to be necessary. It's those plays that matter something for evaluation.

In Gabbert, I see a QB that is solid in finding the first read. Now, is that pre-designed from the coordinator prior to the snap or is that due to Gabbert himself, i don't know?

But moving beyond that first to the second, he is very poor at that. He gets so confused whenever the first is covered. Is very slow identifying to go to the second, undetermined. Going to the third and beyond, he isn't even poor at that, he just can't do this consistently.

He is mobile and has some size, he is a project that you need to work on for some time. Based on his tapes he should go in 3rd or 4th round. But size and mobility, strong arm is so hyped right now, he can easy be selected top 5. After Jamarcus Russell, anything is possible in the draft. I could go top 5.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Apparently it is not that clear.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-all-the-Blaine-Gabbert-hype.html

Not to mention the guy guys into the fetal position when the pressure is on in the 4th quarter. His 4th quarter stats go through the floor big time. I find his competitive fire to be highly lacking. And him not bothering to compete with his biggest competition in the draft at the combine proves that even further.

I will just say that stats can be made to say anything. 4th quarter stats?? Are you for real??? The Tigers had most games sealed up by the 3rd qt. Of course they aren't going to throw as much in the 4th. Poor analysis on your part Joe. And he is working out at the combine just not throwing unless something changed.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Not asinine at all. How many of those guys that skipped out on it had their counterpart or biggest competitor to be selected as the #1 QB selected also skipped out. Or how many were already the consensus #1 QB's. How many didnt have anything to prove. Neither of those apply in this case.

Example, lets say Manning and Leaf both skipped it. Then that doesnt say much of either QB. But if Manning showed up to throw and Leaf did not then its a lack of competitive fire IMO. If Newton is going to throw then Gabbert needs to throw and show he has some fire in his belly.

Gabbert has something to prove and he doesnt feel to need to, that says a lot.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I will just say that stats can be made to say anything. 4th quarter stats?? Are you for real??? The Tigers had most games sealed up by the 3rd qt. Of course they aren't going to throw as much in the 4th. Poor analysis on your part Joe. And he is working out at the combine just not throwing unless something changed.

Who cares if they passed less. What does that have to do with a 56% completion percentage even though he only attempted a horrid 6.5 yards an attempt, more INT's then any other quarter even though he threw the ball less. So either he wilted in the 4th quarter or he decided to just stop trying becuase they had a lead. Either way, lack of fire. Cam stats didnt drop in the 4th quarter. Of course it will look like a poor analysis in your eyes if all you look at is the attempts, I myself looked at the whole picture and compared it to other QB's current and past, I am sure you didnt bother to do the same.

And who cares if he is running a 40 yard dash. No one is there to see him run a 40 yard dash. They are there to see him fling the ball, you know the most important part of being a QB, you know the only drill that you will be directly compared to other QB's in.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with that as well, he is very bad under pressure.

The single biggest difference between a good college QB and a pro QB, is the ability to go from the second to the third target consistenly and keep your mechanics and accuracy. The second and third are usually always accessible with a four man rush and average/solid blocking, fourth sometimes, only the best can do this, fifth requires a 3 man rush. Ability to go fast through those reads is even more important. When you turn to one side, you better have a correct plan B and plan C on that same side. You have exposed your back, made a decision on which pathway of event you want to scan the progressions. And also going through them in the correct direction and order is what makes best pro QB's. Those that show they can't do it on college level, always fail in NFL, one/two read is not enough in the pros. Of those that do show it in college, few of them happen to do the same at the next level, if they also have the other skills.

And even if a player was never asked to do it in college, you can always find a handful of plays where this turned out to be necessary. It's those plays that matter something for evaluation.

In Gabbert, I see a QB that is solid in finding the first read. Now, is that pre-designed from the coordinator prior to the snap or is that due to Gabbert himself, i don't know?

But moving beyond that first to the second, he is very poor at that. He gets so confused whenever the first is covered. Is very slow identifying to go to the second, undetermined. Going to the third and beyond, he isn't even poor at that, he just can't do this consistently.

He is mobile and has some size, he is a project that you need to work on for some time. Based on his tapes he should go in 3rd or 4th round. But size and mobility, strong arm is so hyped right now, he can easy be selected top 5. After Jamarcus Russell, anything is possible in the draft. I could go top 5.[/QUOTE]

Serious delusions of adequacy... ;)

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Who cares if they passed less. What does that have to do with a 56% completion percentage even though he only attempted a horrid 6.5 yards an attempt, more INT's then any other quarter even though he threw the ball less. So either he wilted in the 4th quarter or he decided to just stop trying becuase they had a lead. Either way, lack of fire. Cam stats didnt drop in the 4th quarter. Of course it will look like a poor analysis in your eyes if all you look at is the attempts, I myself looked at the whole picture and compared it to other QB's current and past, I am sure you didnt bother to do the same.

And who cares if he is running a 40 yard dash. No one is there to see him run a 40 yard dash. They are there to see him fling the ball, you know the most important part of being a QB, you know the only drill that you will be directly compared to other QB's in.

Not like he isn't going to throw at Mizzou's proday in March. His agent never lets there Qb clients throw at the combine. Not once. I just don't get the angs't over the guy. He could be great, He could bust or be somewhere in between. It is probably a moot point as I do not think the Cards take him but he isn't as poor as your analysis would make him to be. A big lead in the game says do not take chances and take the safe short throw. He is legit and tough. I agree he should have stayed in school one more year but should be a very solid pro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, almost forgot I am talking with a person that never predicted a draftpick's future wrong. Especially at QB position :) I thought this thread was about Gabbert? There is not much reason to talk about Clausen suddenly. We had no QB last year, because Leinart is the biggest bust, one of the worst draftpicks ever, and one of the easiest to predict sadly. We had no chance at Bradford. Last year was about drafting the next best QB in the draft next to Bradford. Nobody was saying Clausen was going to dominate, it was about finding someone that sucks less than Leinart does. After a season where all QB's mostly suffered, even Bradford late in the year (this costed the Rams their season), most have shown flashes, inclusive Clausen, we still don't know which of these will turn out to be a good starter, this season proves nothing. Maturity issues may be there, I don't know this guys personally and have not seen his interviews, but tapes were good and he has also shown this year he can make any throw and his mechanics are fine. He can't read an NFL defense yet though. He was also in the worst imaginable situation you can ever be in for a rookie QB. As for the new regime wanting someone else. They always do, they want their own QB. Tebow, the same, as for Clausen. That's almost a rule in NFL, new head coaches want their own QB's, even if the existing ones play well, they make the change many times. QB that had my most interest was Kafka, it will be interesting to see if he could be a starter in this league, he may not get a chance for a while due to being in Philly.

You kidding google the name Drew Henson if you want to see me babble on and on about a kid who stunk as a QB (-:

I asked because there's a direct link between what Carolina thinks about Clausen and where Gabbert goes in the draft.

If Carolina picks Fairley or Green, picks that make total sense, it's possible Gabbert is there for the Cards, should we want to pick him. If Carolina picks Newton, as it appears they might, suddenly that's making Gabbert less likely to fall to Arizona as everyone needing a QB who thinks he's the best left on the board, will go after him.

I do think the Clausen situation is fascinating but he's really also the victim of a coaching change, it's not the same coaches who drafted him, but it is the same GM and it appears that GM is trying too hard to say we aren't giving up on him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen 6 of Gabbert games this week, so that is plenty enough to draw conclusion on what type of player he is.

Hey what QB would look good playing 6 games a week.

:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not like he isn't going to throw at Mizzou's proday in March. His agent never lets there Qb clients throw at the combine. Not once. I just don't get the angs't over the guy. He could be great, He could bust or be somewhere in between. It is probably a moot point as I do not think the Cards take him but he isn't as poor as your analysis would make him to be. A big lead in the game says do not take chances and take the safe short throw. He is legit and tough. I agree he should have stayed in school one more year but should be a very solid pro.

Scouts hate pro days because the QB workouts are always scripted so the kid does all the throws he's good at and none of the throws he's not.

they like the combine because they get to tell them what to do so they can't hide anything.