Boldin in the Wildcat...who's with me?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we could run the Wildcat to great results with Boldin back there. Guy can run, throw, do anything. He's a very dangerous weapon, and with the Wildcat trend going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back there in a game soon.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with you.

/dorothy boyd

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I like it

I also like how Warner would become a wide receiver. Imagine him running a fly route and Boldin hitting him in stride

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chicago is going to do it with Hester. We saw a little of it yesterday with Carolina.

Sure. Why not?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
how soon we all forget

the Cardinals ran that last year from time to time

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how soon we all forget

They ran Boldin in the backfield, but it was still a traditional set that saw the occasional direct snap.

It wasn't the so-called Wilcat formation.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that Warner isn't even as much of a threat as Pennington when he would have to flank out, and he might get broken in half.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
They ran Boldin in the backfield, but it was still a traditional set that saw the occasional direct snap.

It wasn't the so-called Wilcat formation.

it was a direct snap

they ran it in the SF game, and they ran it against Balt and Wash

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that Warner isn't even as much of a threat as Pennington when he would have to flank out, and he might get broken in half.

So don't put Warner out there? Or is that a big part of why the WC works?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, if it were Leinart instead of Warner, we'd have a better chance to see it.

So don't put Warner out there? Or is that a big part of why the WC works?

The threat of the receiver (WR) coming around on the end around to throw the ball is what makes it work. No way Warner could move those 10-15 steps needed to make it successful.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The threat of the receiver (WR) coming around on the end around to throw the ball is what makes it work. No way Warner could move those 10-15 steps needed to make it successful.

Ok, we know Rolle can throw the ball and he's played on offense recently...

Maybe we've just got him on the wrong side of the ball?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how soon we all forget

We ran him as an H-Back a few times. Not in a direct snap formation. The QB was there as well, and an option was the direct snap to Q.

I personally loved him in the H-Back but it was more meant to get him the ball in swing passes or handoffs. In the Wildcat, it puts the ball in his hands directly, immediately.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ran him as an H-Back a few times. Not in a direct snap formation. The QB was there as well, and an option was the direct snap to Q.

I personally loved him in the H-Back but it was more meant to get him the ball in swing passes or handoffs. In the Wildcat, it puts the ball in his hands directly, immediately.

Not true. Boldin had a couple direct snaps last year.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We probably can't put St. Pierre out there though, can we? Would that count as the 3rd string QB coming in even if he's technically at a WR spot?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Wildcat, it puts the ball in his hands directly, immediately.
With options to throw, pass, run, or handoff to the other HB, WR or the QB coming back from the flanker position.

It's really pretty ingenuous. While I think the NFL will figure it out soon enough, I also think it's something that's going to stay in a lot of team's playbooks if they have the right personnel.

When Vick comes back to the NFL (you know he will), I'd wager whoever signs him uses this formation a lot.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off of the H-Back though, right? I don't recall him ever lined up back there with no QB.

I don't think there was a QB back there. I remember it was in the red zone.

Hmm....

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing about the Wildcat (which sets it apart a little from the Single Wing) is that it splits the QB wide as a WR.

The good thing about using Boldin in it is that, unlike most deep backs taking the direct snap - Boldin (a former QB) can also throw.

The negative, however, is that while many QB's are athletic enough to be a legitimate wideout threat split wide, Warner would essentially fill the role of a life-sized cardboard cutout.

Still, I'd like to see us use the Wildcat (but at least give it credit for actually being a version of the Single Wing).

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Off of the H-Back though, right?

Speaking of: Detroit used Calvin Johnson from that position many times in the game against the Redskins. It worked for them, and Johnson doesn't have Boldin's physicality. I would like to see more Boldin-out-of-the-backfield plays. The emergence of Breaston makes that dream easier. It would be something the team could do out of conventional formations too, perhaps easing some pressure on the anemic running game.

I don't think there was a QB back there. I remember it was in the red zone.

Hmm....

2 point conversion in Washington last year?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Anybody remember the play where Kurt looks like somebody screwed up the play call and he walks off like he's about to call timeout, the center snaps the ball to a RB I think and he waltzes into the endzone. Think it was when Green was still here, and they actually stole it from the Steelers.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we could run the Wildcat to great results with Boldin back there. Guy can run, throw, do anything. He's a very dangerous weapon, and with the Wildcat trend going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back there in a game soon.
I thought this thread was about seeing Quan naked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05