Boldin out 8-12 weeks

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
wow. i got nothing. what is there to look forward to if we can't even see what the great offense is supposed to look like. sux! sux! sux!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
can anyone imagine what this baord would be like if Coach Smac was still running this team and named Emmitt the starter, demoted LJ, cut Kendall and Shipp and Boldin go donw - holy crap would the darkside from last year be off their rocker. Thank God we finally have a coach who I can trust!!!!!!! While we may not be very good this year - I don't expect us to be getting blown out on the road by an average margin of a Bajillion points a game.

Scary thoughts...

*shudder*

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
hopefully there will be a decent cap casualty WR in a few weeks that we can pick up
WRONG! if there's a cap casualty player, the last one we need is a WR. we need OL, LB, RB, maybe even DL. Emphasis on OL.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I'll need a couple of days (and quite a few drinks) to get over Q's injury and convince myself that all is not lost. The Offense should still be better than last seasons and the Defense should be a lot better. Right now, I'm concerned with how this will effect the teams attitude. They have to be as down as we all are. And, its the players attitude that will determine if we come out of the gate 0 - 6. If Coach Green can keep the players attitudes high, we can win some football games while we wait on Q.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
artp said:
Right now, I'm concerned with how this will effect the teams attitude. They have to be as down as we all are. And, its the players attitude that will determine if we come out of the gate 0 - 6. If Coach Green can keep the players attitudes high, we can win some football games while we wait on Q.

this is actually a great point. i remember back to my high school days. we had started the season with back to back stompings (28-0 and 35-0) of ranked teams and had climbed to the #3 ranking in the state. our third game of the season was st. mary's, then a powerhouse. they were #1. there was a lot of hype before the game. as captain of the team i was interviewed by bill mosley (an old school sportscaster for those of you who don't remember), and he even attended our pep rally. then kevin minifield, our all-everything runningback came down with chickenpox. well, not only was our talent-level severely depleted as a result, but everyone on the team was just so down. instead of practicing all out all week and concentrating on our opponent you could tell that everyone was just thinkin' about whether or not kevin was gonna be ready for the game. he wasn't able to play and we got smoked (31-6). it was a tremendous blow to our collective egos from which we never really recovered. as captain of that team i still feel like a tremendous amount of the blame fell at my feet. i should have been a better leader . . . but i digress. i understand these are pros and denny shouldn't let 'em concentrate on these things too much, but it's human nature, to a certain extent to have a let down like this, particularly when it's so long before the season even starts. if it were a day before an actual game i'd say we could get through with that extraordinary adrenaline that can sometimes shoot through a team facing adversity, but not for an entire season.

i'm not saying our season is shot 'cuz i never believed us to be a playoff team. what i AM saying is that i'm tremendously bummed b/c now it'll be prolly at least half the season before we even get to see denny's ability to work with all of our talent. and that's what i was most looking forward to.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Yes he did. One thing to remember is that a coach like Green (and his staff) makes playmakers out of ordinary players. That's what happened with the Vikings and I can see it happening here. Get the right attitude, fear for your job, get a chance to really step up and shine and maybe even take a starting job away are all things that can bring out the best in anyone, especially athletes. McAddley and Kasper both looked good year before last and there's always the chance that Gilmore's bulb will finally go on and he will realize his potential. There is some talent with this group and we need one or two of them to reach their talent level or even better, exceed it for this year.

It can be done, and fortunately we have the right man in the right position to see that this happens.

I'm having a hard time finding the names of these ordinary guys Green turned into playmakers? Particularly on offense, defense you can give him John Randle.

offense, Moss, Robert Smith, Carter, I don't think you can call any of those guys ordinary players who Green made special, they were all talented players who Green was smart enough to put into a system that maximized their skill.

Green is not a miracle worker, what he is IMHO is a guy who is VERY good at letting players use their strengths. About the only example I can think of that really fits your scenario is a guy everyone thought was washed up, Randall Cunningham, having an MVP year for DG.

He's a terrific coach, it's the other parts of his job that scare me but I'm willing to let him do his thing now.