George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More on the Bosnian Game

Diaw, Mickael Pietrus Fire France To Win

By Yarone Arbel

---------------------------------------------------------
17 September 2005
It took France 66 minutes to arrive at EuroBasket 2005 but when they did, there was no stopping them as they sailed past Bosnia-Herzegovina in the second half for a 79-62 win.

Needing to make amends for their woeful appearance against Greece on Friday, the French hangover carried over into the first half against a Bosnia-Herzegovina side which had also threatened to upset Slovenia before losing that contest.

The Balkan team was on top of their game against France until the mid-point of the third quarter. That is when they caved in under enormous defensive pressure from France and went on to suffer their 11th straight defeat in the EuroBasket competitions.

French coach Claude Bergeaud said: "It was a tough game. I don't know why it started so bad, but after half-time we recovered our intensity on defence.

"Bosnia can be a dangerous team, and they showed that during some parts of the game. Now we wait for the game tomorrow. I think we can improve every game and I hope we will improve."

Bosnia-Herzegovina will try to break the streak on Sunday against Group C juggernauts Greece while France take on Slovenia.

Tony Parker struggled against Bosnia-Herzegovina

Not surprisingly, two of France's NBA stars led the way to victory.

What was surprising, however, is that one of those Frenchman was not Tony Parker.

Instead, Boris Diaw poured in 23 points, dished out seven assists and grabbed seven rebounds while Mickael Pietrus had 22 points and seven boards.

"We came back from the half-time break more aggressive and played better on both ends," said Diaw. "That's why we won the game.

France struggled with their shooting in the first half when they made only 11 of 31 from the field (35%) and six out of 13 (46%) from the free throw line.

After Mujo Tuljakovic scored his first points in EuroBasket 2005 to give Bosnia-Herzegovina a 47-43 advantage 6:20 into the second half, the French woke up.

And it was Diaw time as the French forward scored eight consecutive points to spark a 17-2 run for his team.

During that stretch, Bosnia-Herzegovina lost Jasmin Hukic and Kenan Bajramovic to fouls, players they can ill afford to be without. That was the end of the road for them.

France have yet to get the best out of NBA champion Parker, the San Antonio Spurs point guard. Diaw and Pietrus shone, but what got them victory was their ability to play aggressive defence and put the result beyond doubt.

As opposed to the 22 turnovers against Greece, France committed only nine on Saturday - four by Parker who was a mere one of 10 from the field and finished with two points.

"There's no need to explain the differences between the two teams," said losing coach Mensur Bajramovic. "France is the better team. We sincerely hoped we could surprise them and win this game."

Mrsic became a factor with 3:20 to play in the first quarter.

France were leading 12-10 at that point, when Bosnia-Herzegovina went on a 12-4 run, led by Mrsic, who scored half of the points for the team in the opening quarter, including an off balance buzzer-beating three-pointer to make it 22-16 after 10 minutes.

Mrsic continued to show no mercy, and by the 15th minute had already contributed 16 points.

His shot from behind the arc gave his team a 29-21 lead.

Pietrus led a 6-0 spurt for France with four points, but Hukic hit his second three-pointer of the game to set the half-time score at 36-31 for Bosnia-Herzegovina but then could not fend off the French in the third quarter and slipped to another defeat.

Cyril Julian continued his good form with 11 points and six rebounds for France.

Mrsic had eight rebounds but 0 assists to go along with his game-high 24 points, while Henry Domercant contributed 13 points one six of 16 shooting from the field.

"We gave our best but we couldn't win," Mrsic said. "We watched the game of France yesterday and saw we what we would try to take advantage of, and tried to do that today, but as as you saw we did our best and France won the game. Tomorrow we'll try to do the best and surprise the Greek team."

"We had a great first half, and the important thing is that we did the things we agreed on before the game," Bajramovic said.

"The second reason why we were so good in the first half is because of Mrsic who made several great crazy shots. I demanded from my players to change the defence more often so we could confuse the opponent.

"We couldn't do that without defence, and the French team started to play very aggressively. When our players fouled out, we couldn't deal with that.

"We also tried to be as aggressive as the French team but we couldn't match them. In some moments they also played dirty. I would like to congratulate my team for fighting very well in this game, and we didn't have enough concentration in the second part of the match.

"We won't change anything for tomorrow. We'll try to give our best again. Greece is in top form, they seem unbeatable, but we'll try to do it."

Slovenia beat Greece on Sat, so that game will be no easy match. A loss would seriously damage the French chances of getting out of the first round.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
reader said:
Has Diaw been playing SG when Parker is in the game and PG, when Parker is out? In an earlier game that Parker did not play in, it seemed that Rigaudeau played the PG and Diaw the SG. What position did he play in todays game?

When Parker was on the floor, Diaw played SG/SF, sharing positions with M.Pietrus.
During the decisive run, in the end of the 3rd quarter, we played good ol' small ball, with Rigaudon't at PG, M.Pietrus at SG, Gelebale at SF, Diaw at PF and F.Pietrus at C.

George O'Brien said:
Slovenia beat Greece on Sat, so that game will be no easy match. A loss would seriously damage the French chances of getting out of the first round.

In fact, we need to win against Slovenia by at least 14 points to undoubtedly escape the first round.
If not (including a loss), we'll have to play a wild card game, probably versus Serbia, and we're basically dead.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Ollie, thanks for the info.

It is great to see Diaw playing like he is!
What is wrong with parker? Is he just tired from all of the post season? Is he hurt? He should be playing a lot better than he is.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Ollie said:
When Parker was on the floor, Diaw played SG/SF, sharing positions with M.Pietrus.
During the decisive run, in the end of the 3rd quarter, we played good ol' small ball, with Rigaudon't at PG, M.Pietrus at SG, Gelebale at SF, Diaw at PF and F.Pietrus at C.

In fact, we need to win against Slovenia by at least 14 points to undoubtedly escape the first round.
If not (including a loss), we'll have to play a wild card game, probably versus Serbia, and we're basically dead.

Looks as though France is in deep trouble. Lost to Slovenia 68/58.
No game report yet, here is the boxscore. Diaw 16 pts, 7 rb, 3 asst, 3 t/0 and if I am reading this correctly 0/11 on freethrows .. ugh. Parker's injury must be causing his performance to suffer, 1 fg in 28 minutes. Game preview mentions that Piertus is also injured, did not play in this game.

Boxscore
http://www.eurobasket2005.com/en/cid_SbGnUV12IgwUcAUu7UmfU1.pageID_Tw3b5iaSGMcQoW9fHJDFl0.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2005.roundID_4316.teamID_.gameID_4316-C-5-3.html

Main page
http://www.eurobasket2005.com

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
reader said:

Looks as though France is in deep trouble. Lost to Slovenia 68/58.
No game report yet, here is the boxscore. Diaw 16 pts, 7 rb, 3 asst, 3 t/0 and if I am reading this correctly 0/11 on freethrows .. ugh. Parker's injury must be causing his performance to suffer, 1 fg in 28 minutes. Game preview mentions that Piertus is also injured, did not play in this game.

Boxscore
http://www.eurobasket2005.com/en/cid_SbGnUV12IgwUcAUu7UmfU1.pageID_Tw3b5iaSGMcQoW9fHJDFl0.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2005.roundID_4316.teamID_.gameID_4316-C-5-3.html

Main page
http://www.eurobasket2005.com

Diaw seems to be doing his own version of a Hunter imitiation. :eek:

Obviously Diaw's ability to hit jump shots and free throws will define whether he plays much for the Suns. Of the two, I'd focus on free throw shooting because a player can simply decide not to shoot jumpers, but free throws are not really a "choice" unless you are Maggette.

Great three throw shooting is a very powerful tool. Lots of teams would like to foul Nash except that his 88.7% is sixth best in the NBA.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Diaw seems to be doing his own version of a Hunter imitiation. :eek:

Obviously Diaw's ability to hit jump shots and free throws will define whether he plays much for the Suns. Of the two, I'd focus on free throw shooting because a player can simply decide not to shoot jumpers, but free throws are not really a "choice" unless you are Maggette.

Great three throw shooting is a very powerful tool. Lots of teams would like to foul Nash except that his 88.7% is sixth best in the NBA.

His free throw numbers were so bad I checked out his NBA %. It is actually not too bad, 60.2 in his first year and 74.5 last year. Hopefully this was simply an aberration, the French team is last in F/T shooting at the competion.

Nash's free throw shooting, he is ranked number 3 on the all-time % list, which puts him first for active players. Definately someone you do not want to foul at any point in a game.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Unfortunately, he really shot 0/11 at the free-throw line...

France played well in first half, despite playing without M.Pietrus (out with right knee injury).

Then, the team totally exploded in second half, mainly because Parker is THE worst whining piece of garbage I've ever seen in my whole life (well, that and the fact that we only had Frederic "slam on me" Weis inside).

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
0/11 on FT :bang:
I can't understand this. Boris, as so many french athletes, seems to have have some psychological troubles during important games.
I hope it is just an accident.

Regarding Tony Parker, I hope that he will learn from his mistakes. He is a good PG, he can become a great PG. Now he must trust his teammates, even if they are not Duncan or Ginobili. Against organized defense, you can't do the decison alone Tony! Score 1/10 during a game... it may happen. But 5 assists in 3 games! I can't call him a PG :mad:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Diaw today

18 points
11 rebounds
3 assists
1 block

on 7-12 and 3/4 from three as France shocked Lithuania and beat them 63-47 to make the semi-finals

France Vs Greece in the semis

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How can you miss 11 straight free throws?

It's not too hard if you work at it. I can show you sometime.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Back when I played basketball I would not leave the court after work out until I hit 10 free throws in a row with my right and 5 plus with my left. I just don't see how these pros can't hit their free throws.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
DIAW 18 pts 11 rbds:thumbup:
This kidd seems to become more and more confident.
He is THE french man for this euro.
Has a french Fan I say "I LOVE YOU BORIS".
I know you'll do the same with Phoenix :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
mathbzh said:
DIAW 18 pts 11 rbds:thumbup:
This kidd seems to become more and more confident.
He is THE french man for this euro.
Has a french Fan I say "I LOVE YOU BORIS".
I know you'll do the same with Phoenix :)

Im guessing with Bobo's renowned passing ability this was tounge in cheek...:)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
How can you miss 11 straight free throws? :confused:

In a somewhat devil's advocate argument, this is one of the reasons I remain very optimistic about Diaw. I don't even think Shaq, Chamberlain, Dudley or Outlaw could duplicate this feat. :)

Now, if Diaw were not playing well otherwise (and not shot something like a 74% FT in the NBA last year), I would definetly be more worried.

FT shooting is generally a combination of form and confidence. My guess is he thinks too much at the FT line or perhaps not enough... that's why he plays better when he loses himself in the game and just reacts.

I can only guess as I do not remember seeing him play last year for Atlanta nor have I seen him play this year in the Euro tournament.

Otherwise, he has played great for France playing in a multitude of positions displaying a great diversity of skills. He definitely seems to be one of the pillars of France's team.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Apparently, Mike D'Antoni just arrived in Serbia for the Euros.

He gave a press conference yesterday, stating that "we have a new player, Boris Diaw, and I'm here to see him".

Here's a self-made translation (so be lenient, please) of a small article about his conference in today's "l'équipe". I don't know if it's a Boris Diaw-centered excerpt of the conference, or if he only talked about him, though.

"He's a great talent, being able to play 2, 3 and 4, and I really want to work with him. For sure, he gonna play the way Phoenix plays, running game on both sides of the floor.

He has a lot of qualities, even if he still has work to do with his shot, but I know he could achieve (to improve) it. Anyway, we really like his gifts, his character and the kind of guy he is.

If he does well, he'll play a lot, and, because we're playing either small or big, his ability to play 3 positions is really interesting for us.

He'll maybe need to shoot more, but I'm mainly waiting for him to play like Boris Diaw. If he shots well, that's fine, if not, we'll deal with it".

Nothing really surprising, but he seems to have faith on his capacities.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake