Boris Diaw Who/Updates

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
mathbzh said:
There is a nice paper on Diaw (in french).
http://sports.voila.fr/fr/cmc/basket/200537/cmc_75120.html

It reports the impression of Richard Dacoury (Best French BB player between 1985/1995).
The problem with you guys is that you don't recognize when you have an opportunity to use Babelfish.

Diaw, "of the full tennis shoe hands"
15/09/2005
By REMI DUCHEMIN
De Sports.fr

And if the light did come from Boris Diaw? Rather discrete this season with his club of Atlanta (4,8 pts, 2,6 rbds in 18 min of average), the young winger of the team of France succeeded with the Blue ones of the matches of preparation of high invoice, finishing even second better scorer of Blue, with 13,6 points of average. Blow, in front of Tony Parker or Antoine Rigaudeau, Boris Diaw could be the player whose France has need to take one of the first six places ofthe Euro, and be qualified for the championship of the world.

"For me, Boris Diaw is undoubtedly the basketball player more endowed with his generation." The compliment, from size, does not come from no matter whom, since it leaves the mouth of Richard Dacoury. The champion of Europe 1993 (with Limoges) is not surprised by the performances of high flight carried out by Boris Diaw since the beginning of the preparation with the Euro of the team of France. "It is a super player, a very good basketball player who has the direction of the play, of the full tennis shoe hands. And whose level can only progress."

On the ten matches of preparation of Blue, (five victories, five defeats), the new player of Suns de Phoenix was with the height of the praise pronounced by large Dacoury. Boris Diaw finishes indeed with 13,6 points of average, just behind Tony Parker (16,8 pts of average), better marker of the Blue ones. On the six matches of the tournaments of Istanbul and Limoges, "Sore" culminates even at 16,5 points. "In team of France, it arrived at a certain dimension, takes again the former captain of the Blue ones. It is because it is finally used in its best place, at item 3-4 (strong winger-winger). He does not serve any more substitute, which was prejudicial for its play." At the time of the last match vis-a-vis in Italy (victory from Blue the 83-75), Boris Diaw finished better marker of his team, with 19 points, but also better rebondor.

"more serene with the Blue ones"

Rather surprising, on behalf of Tricolour which, in the United States, has a timid reputation of player who hesitates to take shots. A reputation checked by its stats of last season with Atlanta (4,8 pts, 2,6 rbds in 18 min of average). "Initially, and it is normal, Boris is more serene, more in its element when it evolves/moves in team of France, explains Richard Dacoury. Then, Atlanta was a a little bastard team. Boris was put at all sauces, without really knowing what one awaited from him, with players who did not include/understand it inevitably."

Remain to know if the French will be able to assert himself at Suns, one of the signal-teams of the NBA. Would the champion of Europe junior in 2000 be more at ease in the European play? "It is a super player. The NBA will suit him like a glove, answers Dacoury. There is much less assistance in defense, therefore the attacker is more favoured. As it is a guy who adores spaces, which has many cords to its arc, that can to only be appropriate him. If it were essential like 6th or 7th man on Phoenix, they would be already marvellous."

But before shining on the other side of the Atlantic, Boris Diaw will have to pass by revealing euro 2005. Will it be able to take a role of offensive leader who seems to tighten the arms to him? "is this really important? question yourself Dacoury. One would ask him the question, it would answer that what it wants to do, it is to help the team of France to gain, go up on the podium, and to qualify themselves for the championship of the world. It has a so broad register which it is able to do everything. It will do that whose team requires that it makes." Checking as of Friday, vis-a-vis in Greece.
I hope "Bobo" can overcome the prejudice of serving substitute this time around. If not, he'll probably find himself at the sauces again.

It's good to hear about his full tennis shoe hands, though. :thumbup:

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
The problem with you guys is that you don't recognize when you have an opportunity to use Babelfish.

I hope "Bobo" can overcome the prejudice of serving substitute this time around. If not, he'll probably find himself at the sauces again.

It's good to hear about his full tennis shoe hands, though. :thumbup:

Yes, and I thought this was interesting also.........

"For me, Boris Diaw is undoubtedly the basketball player more endowed with his generation." The compliment, from size, does not come from no matter whom, since it leaves the mouth of Richard Dacoury.

:D

-

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more that is written about Diaw the more it sounds like he could be a perfect backup to Marion. He can guard PF if necessary, he does not need plays run for him, he is not a great shooter (I don't think Marion is either, they both seem to be improvisors) and are both great athletes playing basketball.

For some reason I always thought that Marion was 6'9" but just reviewing his measurements he is only 6'7". If Diaw is an inch taller and has a wider wing span and can shut down players like Okur then his value will be in backing up Marion.

James Jones shooting will make him a 2 or a 3, Diaw's athleticism with make him a 3 or a 4.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of it is understandable even if hysterically funny. However, I'm not even sure I understand, "As it is a guy who adores spaces, which has many cords to its arc, that can to only be appropriate him." :confused:

It feels like he is saying that Diaw likes to playin the open court, but "many cords to its arc"? :shrug:

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Most of it is understandable even if hysterically funny. However, I'm not even sure I understand, "As it is a guy who adores spaces, which has many cords to its arc, that can to only be appropriate him." :confused:

It feels like he is saying that Diaw likes to playin the open court, but "many cords to its arc"? :shrug:

His shot is harmonic? His boat is made of wood? Aww, fergit it....

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Babelfish is the best, it is almost like it actively tries to be comical. Maybe there is a little gnome who actually does the work behind the scenes interpreting the words and when he runs into roadblocks deciphering words/sentences he just has a little too much fun guessing.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

I'm back from holidays, so I'll explain that : it's a crappy word-by-word Babelfish translation of a french idiomatic expression.

"Avoir plusieurs cordes à son arc" (translated "having many cords to its arc") means that you can do different things with equal success, you're multifaceted/polyvalent (i.e. for Basketball : being able to penetrate, play the pick and roll, rebound, defend, shoot the 3...).

By the way, the first game of France at the European championships versus Greece have been played yesterday, and we were totally raped 64-50 (32-14 at halftime). Greece is a well-oiled machine, especially on defense, and their slow-paced game made our team exploding inside.

Boris have been mediocre at best, but playing power forward most of the game didn't helped him. And given the team's level of performance, mediocre is actually quite good... (Parker have been an absolute piece of crap)

Boxscore :

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
Today against Bosnia-Herzegovina (which has no NBA players), Diaw had 23 pts, 7 boards (5 offensive), 7 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks and 1 TO. Tony Parker sucked. Pietrus from Golden State had about 20 points.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Yeah, today Boris kept our qualifying hopes alive with an impressive all-around game, initiating the decisive burst in the end of 3rd quarter, scoring 10 of the 14 France's consecutive points during a 4mns span.

And once again Tony Parker sucked, got killed by Mrsic on D, and shot bricks all the first half before getting benched.

Boxscore : http://www.eurobasket2005.com/en/cid_SbGnUV12IgwUcAUu7UmfU1.pageID_Tw3b5iaSGMcQoW9fHJDFl0.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2005.roundID_4316.teamID_.gameID_4316-C-4-2.html

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Ollie said:
Yeah, today Boris kept our qualifying hopes alive with an impressive all-around game, initiating the decisive burst in the end of 3rd quarter, scoring 10 of the 14 France's consecutive points during a 4mns span.

And once again Tony Parker sucked, got killed by Mrsic on D, and shot bricks all the first half before getting benched.

Boxscore : http://www.eurobasket2005.com/en/cid_SbGnUV12IgwUcAUu7UmfU1.pageID_Tw3b5iaSGMcQoW9fHJDFl0.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2005.roundID_4316.teamID_.gameID_4316-C-4-2.html

Has Diaw been playing SG when Parker is in the game and PG, when Parker is out? In an earlier game that Parker did not play in, it seemed that Rigaudeau played the PG and Diaw the SG. What position did he play in todays game?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems as if Parker has been having more bad games than good. You have to wonder if his apparent effectiveness with the Spurs is due mostly to playing with Duncan and Manu.

BTW, it seems as if Pietrus has been improving as the summer progresses.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Parker did miss one previous game with some sort of calf problem. Maybe that is why his shot is missing right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It seems as if Parker has been having more bad games than good. You have to wonder if his apparent effectiveness with the Spurs is due mostly to playing with Duncan and Manu.

True. I don't think Parker is an elite point guard, but he works very well in the Spurs' system.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:

True. I don't think Parker is an elite point guard, but he works very well in the Spurs' system.

At times he works very well. There have been some rumblings that Udrih is getting more love from Pop and the players. Apparently he is much better at getting the ball to teammates where they like it.

Mid season last year there was already speculation that Parker could be moved if Udrih continues to improve.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There sure is nothing negative coming out of these reports about Diaw. We may greet the news with some skepticism, but it looks like he might be a real player for us.

Also, it seems we are learning something about Diaw. He is an "all-around" type player that can play 4 positions, but looks like he is best at the sf. Sounds alot like JJ at the 2.

So, for those of us who've been penciling him in as our #2 pg, maybe that's not such a good idea.

From the reports I am reading, he sounds like a perfect player for the triple post offense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Mid season last year there was already speculation that Parker could be moved if Udrih continues to improve.

Could be, but I just can't take seriously anyone who's named after an anti-flatulence product.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:

Could be, but I just can't take seriously anyone who's named after an anti-flatulence product.

But you can take a frenchman seriously? :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
panfolk said:
triple post offense?

A version of the triangle (or is it vice versa) run by Phil Jackson. Its the offense used for 9 titles with the Bulls and the Lakers.

Doesn't require a true pg, but uses big players with mobility and passing skills. Tends to get players alot of high percentage mid-range jumpers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually they sound pretty rational to me.

Have to admit, though, the depth chart in the third or fourth post cracked me up. Who the hell are those guys?

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Actually they sound pretty rational to me.

Have to admit, though, the depth chart in the third or fourth post cracked me up. Who the hell are those guys?

hahah, same here man

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mirror image of our discussions. It has certainly dawned on at least some of their fans that if JJ doesn't cut it at PG, the deal will be viewed as a failure for the Hawks. I find it curious that no one noticed JJ's big jump statistically once Nash joined the team.

Obviously the opinions of Diaw vary from moderate "love" to total condemnation. The "consensus" seems pretty close to what we've been told in that he is athletic, a solid defender, decent rebounder, and very team oriented passer. The jury is out on whether his scoring in Europe will translate in the NBA.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake