Brand new 2-round mock 3/24/11

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just released my latest 2-round projection: http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/3

It'll be seven rounds once compensation picks are announced.

CB's are are not usually taken with 5th round picks unless they clearly are exceptional. Our experience with drafting CB's in the first round have been horrible. Maybe the worst in the NFL. A CB is not a game changer this year or next year if we are hoping to make the playoffs. I think we need a QB first followed by a DE or LB which ever is best at the time we pick.

The LSU CB seems clearly the best CB in the draft. He is also a return man but return men are no longer as important as they once were. The new NFL rule has the kick off coming from the 35 yard line rather than the 30 yard line. There are not going to be many returns as NFL kickers will be kicking the ball into the stands from that distance. Some of the great return men in the NFL are sure regretting this new rule. It will ultimately effect their worth and salary. It will also effect where they are drafted in the draft.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
If Houston falls to the Packers and we don't take him I will kill someone. He is everything the Packers need to play opposite Clay.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The LSU CB seems clearly the best CB in the draft. He is also a return man but return men are no longer as important as they once were. The new NFL rule has the kick off coming from the 35 yard line rather than the 30 yard line. There are not going to be many returns as NFL kickers will be kicking the ball into the stands from that distance. Some of the great return men in the NFL are sure regretting this new rule. It will ultimately effect their worth and salary. It will also effect where they are drafted in the draft.

Peterson is more of a punt returner than a kick returner (said so himself) so the new rules don't really change his value there. If all the comparisons with Charles Woodson hold true he is absolutely worth a top 5 pick.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't rip on people's mock drafts but no way in hell Fairley is going #1 overall and I doubt that both QB's get passed over in the top 5.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No way Gabbert and Newton both fall beyond #5.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Alot of "no ways" coming from you guys when there is "no way" anyone can know these things for sure right now.

For the Fairley doubters...Why exactly would you say there is no way Fairley is going to go #1 overall???

And why is it unthinkable that both Newton and Gabbert fall out of the top 5??? Neither of them are elite prospects. If they stayed in school another year they'd each be behind Luck and Barkley.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Peterson is more of a punt returner than a kick returner (said so himself) so the new rules don't really change his value there. If all the comparisons with Charles Woodson hold true he is absolutely worth a top 5 pick.

You're correct. Nobody is drafting Patrick Peterson because of his return ability.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Alot of "no ways" coming from you guys when there is "no way" anyone can know these things for sure right now.

For the Fairley doubters...Why exactly would you say there is no way Fairley is going to go #1 overall???

And why is it unthinkable that both Newton and Gabbert fall out of the top 5??? Neither of them are elite prospects. If they stayed in school another year they'd each be behind Luck and Barkley.
You're correct anything is possible but Fairley isn't even the consensus #1 player at his position much less the entire draft. Too many teams,4 of the top 5, need QB's for there not to be one taken. It's not unthinkable but very unlikely. I agree that I wouldn't take either in the top 5 but, I think I heard the last time a QB didn't go in the top 5 was when Chad Pennington went 18th as the first QB off the board.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

How do you know that they would be behind Luck and Barkley if you just said that nobobody really knows.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once again thanks for posting the link. I took the time to read all the comments for every pick in rd 1 and agree with most of your thoughts. The toughest call is how the QB situation plays out. How many teams will just wait to see what QB's slip to the 2nd rd to roll the dice. Mallet, Locker, Dalton, Kaep...., are all getting some love as good gambles in the 2nd rd. If that's the case then we may see Gabbert and Newton slide some.

if we take peterson in round 1 then we must select a pass rusher with second round pick

I think this as well, especially with Sheard still available per this mock.

Whiz has made numerous comments about how the O-line was not the problem last year. Many fans disagree but they won't be calling the shots during the draft. I'd love to see us get a top notch LT candidate but none are worth the #5 pick and I can't see a good one slipping to us in rd2.

I do believe the Cards will draft an OT later in the draft for Grimm to develop.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Once again thanks for posting the link. I took the time to read all the comments for every pick in rd 1 and agree with most of your thoughts. The toughest call is how the QB situation plays out. How many teams will just wait to see what QB's slip to the 2nd rd to roll the dice. Mallet, Locker, Dalton, Kaep...., are all getting some love as good gambles in the 2nd rd. If that's the case then we may see Gabbert and Newton slide some.

I think this as well, especially with Sheard still available per this mock.

Whiz has made numerous comments about how the O-line was not the problem last year. Many fans disagree but they won't be calling the shots during the draft. I'd love to see us get a top notch LT candidate but none are worth the #5 pick and I can't see a good one slipping to us in rd2.

I do believe the Cards will draft an OT later in the draft for Grimm to develop.

Your points about the QBs are exactly on point. There isn't an elite prospect at the position this year and one of Ponder, Mallett, Kaep, Dalton, Locker, Stanzi could easily wind up developing into the best QB in the draft.

I wouldn't argue that the Cards wouldn't take a pass rusher in the 2nd round. Sheard would certainly be a solid choice. I just like the value Watkins brings in this scenario.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
How do you know that they would be behind Luck and Barkley if you just said that nobobody really knows.

I said nobody knows where those quarterbacks are going to be drafted and I'll stand by that because...I'm right.

Luck and Barkley would both go ahead of them because they're both elite prospects. Gabbert and Newton are not.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
You're correct anything is possible but Fairley isn't even the consensus #1 player at his position much less the entire draft. Too many teams,4 of the top 5, need QB's for there not to be one taken. It's not unthinkable but very unlikely. I agree that I wouldn't take either in the top 5 but, I think I heard the last time a QB didn't go in the top 5 was when Chad Pennington went 18th as the first QB off the board.

Being the consensus #1 player at a position means nothing. Matt Stafford wasn't the consensus top QB in his draft. Some thought Sanchez was better. But it didn't make a difference. The only thing that mattered was how the Lions had the two ranked. The same is true here. Am I saying I know that the Panthers have Fairley ahead of Dareus? No, but that's my best guess at this point.

The first overall pick could be any of Fairley, Dareus, Gabbert, Newton, Peterson, Green, Jones...or even Bowers if he somehow lights it up on April 1st. Nobody knows at this point.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're both elite prospects. Gabbert and Newton are not.
You're right .... and you're wrong. Gabbert and Newton may not be as good as some other pairs of top-QBs to come out in the past, but the fact remains that they ARE the top QBs in THIS draft.

"No way" there isn't a QB taken until #7. I can say that because I'm right. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
You're right .... and you're wrong. Gabbert and Newton may not be as good as some other pairs of top-QBs to come out in the past, but the fact remains that they ARE the top QBs in THIS draft.

"No way" there isn't a QB taken until #7. I can say that because I'm right. :)

You could be right. But nobody knows right now. You don't draft a qb just because he is the best available. If you don't think Gabbert and Newton are going to be franchise signal-callers then you don't draft them.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't, but NFL teams do. Every. Single. Season.

That's usually the case but this year is different. Could someone take a chance on Gabbert or Newton in the top 5? Absolutely. But there are a bunch of QBs that will be there for those same teams in the second round. And one of them may be better. I wouldn't draft a QB in the top 5 if I didn't believe he could develop into one of the top 10 QBs in the league.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't draft a QB in the top 5 if I didn't believe he could develop into one of the top 10 QBs in the league.
No disrespect intended--I know it takes a lot of work to put together mock drafts like this...but I think where you're going wrong n this issue is you're projecting on NFL teams what YOU would do rather than what the reality of what NFL TEAMS do.

Again, props for the mock...this is just objective feedback. :raccoon:

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
No disrespect intended--I know it takes a lot of work to put together mock drafts like this...but I think where you're going wrong n this issue is you're projecting on NFL teams what YOU would do rather than what the reality of what NFL TEAMS do.

Again, props for the mock...this is just objective feedback. :raccoon:

We're usually pretty accurate: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

It's tough to project what other teams will do until we get really close to the draft.

I'm definitely not saying you're wrong by the way. There's a very good chance our final mock will have a QB going in the top 5. That just isn't how I see it right now. In truth, there are about 10 different scenarios you can make for the top 10 right now that would be good guesses.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Being the consensus #1 player at a position means nothing. Matt Stafford wasn't the consensus top QB in his draft. Some thought Sanchez was better. But it didn't make a difference. The only thing that mattered was how the Lions had the two ranked. The same is true here. Am I saying I know that the Panthers have Fairley ahead of Dareus? No, but that's my best guess at this point.

The first overall pick could be any of Fairley, Dareus, Gabbert, Newton, Peterson, Green, Jones...or even Bowers if he somehow lights it up on April 1st. Nobody knows at this point.
yes it does.

a consensus is an agreement in the judgment or opinion reached by a group as a whole.

Stafford was easily the consensus best QB in the draft. I think you there's more like a 50/50 in regards to Dareus and Fairley and Dareus may be liked slightly better.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the lockout, it is MORE likely QBs will be more valuable not less likely.

Any QB will likely be locked in at a rookie salary for many years AND teams with issues can't solve them without a CBA.

Without a lockout, I would say the Cards pass on a QB. With the lockout, I think they take Gabbert or Newton if they are there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05