Braves vs. D-backs series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The D-back offense was shell-shocked by a guy named Karstens in their last game. The Atlanta Braves, who are in serious danger of missing the playoffs, charge into town for a four-game series...

Thursday - Morton vs. Petit

The rookie Morton brings a three-game losing streak with him. His ERA in July was 9.53. The hittable Morton will face Arizona for the first time, ever. Petit struggled in his last start, his only loss as a starter this year, when the latest members of the Dodgers connected for homers. Expect Petit to go about six innings, give up about a hit per inning and likely walk a batter or two.

Friday - Campillo vs. Davis

The last time Campillo pitched at Chase Field, he looked unbeatable until a blister knocked him out of the game. Half of his six wins, including one last week, were against Milwaukee. He has one complete game, a loss to the Angels. The Mexican righthander carries an impressive ERA of 2.58 into this game. Davis did not last two innings in his last game, while allowing five earned runs. When Davis has been good this year, he has been very good. One such game was in Atlanta when he returned from surgery for thyroid cancer; he allowed one run in seven innings. Davis is 1-3 with a 5.13 ERA in his last six starts.

Saturday - Jurrjens vs. Haren

Jurrjens leads the Braves in strikeouts and despite losing his last two starts has been a steady contibutor to the Braves' rotation. In his one start against the D-backs, he was given the hook in the fifth inning after allowing three runs and eight hits. Haren had a rocky start to his last game before the offense bailed him out. Haren has won his last four starts and was rewarded with a hefty contract extension this week. He is 2-0 lifetime against Atlanta, but has not faced them yet in 2008.

Sunday - Hampton vs. Webb

The long stretch of games comes to a close when Mike Hampton, who has pitched three times in the last three years takes the hill against the Major League's win leader, Brandon Webb. Hampton has pitched in thre games this year, winning his last one in San Francisco and looking better with each outing. Webb put on a clinic in his last start, a one-hour and 55-minute complete game win over pesky Pittsburgh. Webb has won his last three starts and his last five decisions. In his one game at Turner Field, Webb gave up seven runs (only four were earned) and ten hits in a loss.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Win one of the first two and let our aces go nuts the last two. Go D-Backs

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
like our chances to possibly win 3 out of 4 this series but our bats need to wake up and score more than one or two runs vs the braves GO DBACKS

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Atlanta is always dangerous, I don't care what their record is. They frequently find ways to win, but I expect the D-backs to take three this weekend. I'm hoping the D-backs give Kotchman a rude welcome to the National League, with lots of dejected walks back to his dugout. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The Dodgers won their matinee in St. Louis. The D-backs have their work cut out for them. Get some RUNS!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
great our offense sucks again vs a no named pitcher wtf is going on :( we can't afford to do this the last few months of the season get your act togather and start scoring runs UGH

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
great our offense sucks again vs a no named pitcher wtf is going on :( we can't afford to do this the last few months of the season get your act togather and start scoring runs UGH

No sweat... I'm sure Chris Young will take care of things for us!!!!

:bang:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Morton, who came in with a 6.46 ERA shuts out the Diamondbacks thru 7 innings. Losing to the pathetic Braves is embarrassing.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ugh way to mess this game up pena :( Reyonlds just hit one out of the park now 6-4 braves bottom 8th...

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Why does this team continue to allow rookie pitchers like Hochevar, Karstens and Morton to come here and dominate? Even so-so veterans like McClung, Baek, Meche and Suppan have their way at Chase Field. :mad:

Tracy is hitting .118 in August. His platoon-mate Clark is not much better (.231). Young .185 . Reynolds, .231 . It will be nice to get Upton back soon, but he's not much of a fix, either. Josh Byrnes did such a great job getting help for the flaccid offense. :rolleyes: Arrogant punk.

Another decent effort by a starting pitcher is wasted, too. Although, he didn't get the loss, Pena has cost the team too many games this year.

Mike Gonzalez was making me seasick. I never paid attention to him, he has had some excellent numbers with bad teams in his career. I'll be sure to take a dramamine when he's warming up in the bullpen next time. :barf:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Morton, who came in with a 6.46 ERA shuts out the Diamondbacks thru 7 innings. Losing to the pathetic Braves is embarrassing.
When a team's hitting strategy, from top to bottom, seems to be:

Everyone swing for the seats
Try to pull outside pitches
Extend your strike zone by swinging at everything
Don't make the pitcher throw alot of pitches
Minimal hit-and-run plays or stolen base attempts

And, of course: No one has a role in the lineup. From one day to the next, you may bat 2nd, you may bat 7th. Or 3rd. Or leadoff. Or cleanup.

"Ignorant" is defined in the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary as:

Destitute of knowledge or education. Also: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified. Resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence.

I'm surprised it doesn't say, "See Bob Melvin". :sad:

Why are unproven Pitchers with an ERA of 6.46 embarrassing our hitters? They're not. Our Manager is.

"Resulting from or showing lack of intelligence." Uh huh.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make Pena go away.... RIGHT NOW!!! Sweet. weein' gee-a-zuz!! We won the ballgame, except for Pena!

Melvin, along with the two "experts" in the booth, seem to love Pena, apparently because he throws hard; but his fastball usually doesn't move much and he regularly hangs his slider, both recipes for disaster (as we have seen way too many times). Bring in someone from the stands.... it's difficult to believe he'd do any worse than Pena.... :mad:

As to the rest of the team (specifically hitting), BC867 is dead on.

We MUST have the next 3 from Atlanta. Going 7-3 on the road, only to follow it with a split at home is not going to win you anything good.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, of course: No one has a role in the lineup. From one day to the next, you may bat 2nd, you may bat 7th. Or 3rd. Or leadoff. Or cleanup.
Last five lineups used:

8/7
Drew SS
Hudson 2B
Jackson LF
Tracy 1B
Reynolds 3B
Romero RF
Young CF
Montero C

8/6
Drew SS
Hudson 2B
Jackson LF
Tracy 1B
Reynolds 3B
Young CF
Romero RF
Snyder C

8/5
Drew SS
Young CF
Hudson 2B
Jackson LF
Reynolds 3B
Clark 1B
Snyder C
Burke RF

8/4
Drew SS
Hudson 2B
Jackson LF
Tracy 1B
Reynolds 3B
Romero RF
Young CF
Snyder C

8/3
Drew SS
Hudson 2B
Jackson LF
Tracy 1B
Reynolds 3B
Romero RF
Young CF
Snyder C

Notice anything? Aside from 8/5 where the Diamondbacks faced a left hander (and even that lineup is similar), the lineup has been nearly identical with the only differences last night being a night off for Snyder as well as a flip of Romero and Young in the 6th/7th spot. Big deal.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Davis is once again getting hit hard as they are down 4-1 in the third and the Braves threatening.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
8-1 Braves and the Dodgers are up big, looks like the lead could be .5 after tonight.

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
I said the Braves are always dangerous, the D-backs weren't privy to my warning. The D-back offense is so pathetic. Why is Jackson hitting second now?? ANOTHER different lineup, what sheer geeeenius. :rolleyes:
Thank goodness the aces will be on the mound this weekend to hopefully stop the bleeding.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said the Braves are always dangerous, the D-backs weren't privy to my warning. The D-back offense is so pathetic. Why is Jackson hitting second now?? ANOTHER different lineup, what sheer geeeenius. :rolleyes:
Thank goodness the aces will be on the mound this weekend to hopefully stop the bleeding.

The Braves are a bad road team. Before this series they had only won 19 road games while losing 37. The Braves don't have anything to play for while the Diamondbacks are fighting for a division title, but you wouldn't know that the last two nights.

The Diamondbacks are showing some life as they have made it 8-5.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no excuse for this. We just suck. I'm fully expecting us to be at least 5 games out of first come Sept.1.

:thumbdown

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still in first place. No panic by me yet.

Gave up watching the best part of the Olympics opening ceremonies to watch last night's pitching disaster. Ugh. Mistake.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since people lately seem to think that swapping the 6th/7th guys in the order is some kind of baseball sin, here's a little challenge: see how many NL teams you can find that have had as consistent of a batting order over the last five or six games than the Diamondbacks. I count one that is definitely more consistent over that period, and just a couple that are close one way or another.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/depth-chart/ARI

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05