Broncos | Plummer will likely be traded after 2006 season

AzWins23

Reaction score
Broncos | Plummer will likely be traded after 2006 season
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:20:00 -0700

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Denver Broncos QB Jake Plummer will likely be traded after the 2006 season, paving the way for QB Jay Cutler to take over as the team's starter.

I wonder what team trades for him!

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I beleive its way to early for anyone to even assume this! If the Broncos have another solid season Plummer will be starting again next season they are not gonna rush in a rookie, when they have a starter leading them to solid seasons. Fickle fans there but Shanahan doesn't listen to them as he shouldn't.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:trout:

This a Pre-emptive slap for the first guy, who thinks of a scenario for Jakes return to AZ

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I beleive its way to early for anyone to even assume this! If the Broncos have another solid season Plummer will be starting again next season they are not gonna rush in a rookie, when they have a starter leading them to solid seasons. Fickle fans there but Shanahan doesn't listen to them as he shouldn't.

No tonight's game was 2 great defenses and 2 washed up awful Qb's. I've been saying it all year McNair has been terrible, 3 picks all of them awful throws. And jake had another horrible pick and was awful all night but less awful enough that his team won.

Weather was an obvious factor but come on that was a QB suck fest tonight.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This seems stupid.

Even if Shannahan intends to trade Plummer why would he tell anybody in mid season?

The Broncos are a Super Bowl contender, they're not some 1-4 team building for the future.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plummer will be back next year in Denver but Cutler and him will compete for the starter. Stupid to say at this point of the season that he won't be back.as they are in first place.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish he still had some college eligibility...ASU could use him. :|

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Just another false rumor by Mortensen I think.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another false rumor by Mortensen I think.

He didn't actually break the rumor, it's been speculated about ever since they drafted Cutler and with his great preseason the media in Denver has been talking about it since the opener.

Everyone said Jake had a really good camp this year and was primed to have a monster year but he came out so horribly that Shanahan is desperately trying to milk games to keep Jake from losing them. I don't think they'll throw Cutler in this year unless they have to because they're a playoff team, but there's no way Jake is the starter next year and he's not going to accept the backup role because it will mean he takes a big salary cut.

Mort is just saying definitively what's been speculated for months.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Hmmm, all this on a night when Plummer's finally got his career mark in the black(55-54 I think). He's officially a "winning" qb now.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Wow.

Didn't the donkeys win that game?

Jake's numbers were not great, but aren't the Jags a pretty tough defense?

Wow.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
He's getting traded to the San Fransisco Fairies.

That's a team in baseketball for those who don't know

Reaction score
...but there's no way Jake is the starter next year and he's not going to accept the backup role because it will mean he takes a big salary cut.
When's does Plummer's current contract expire? As long as he is under contract, starter or backup his salary will remain the same. Unless of course they re-negotiate.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When's does Plummer's current contract expire? As long as he is under contract, starter or backup his salary will remain the same. Unless of course they re-negotiate.

He restructured this year to get them under the cap for the 2nd year in a row IIRC. They deferred a bunch of his bonus after his 2nd year but he's already essentially taken a paycut twice to get them under the cap they just deferred money to the end of the contract. Remember Jake readily admits he had no idea Denver was drafting Cutler but if you believe shanahan, they were targetting Cutler all along. Doesn't sound like a franchise who really plans on paying Jake a ton of money if he's the backup.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05