Bruce Arians NFL Coach of the Year?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kelly beat Arians.

#scoreboard

Home game for Kelly with a ton of calls going against the Cards.

But as you say scoreboard.

I actually think if the Cards don't get into the playoffs BA will get enough sympathy votes to win COY

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Eagles are only successful because Chip Kelly's plans for a read-option offense didn't work out.

He got super-lucky with Nick Foles, but that wasn't part of his plans for the team.

Chip Kelly's offense did work out and it is the exact offense he wants to run. It is a spread formation based running offense that is designed to get it's playmakers isolated in one on one matchups where they are expected to win. This is exactly the offense Chip brought in and wanted to run. You are thinking because there isn't a ton of rush yards from the QB that it is different, but it isn't. Foles is running the same offense that Vick ran to start the season, he is just running it better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The eagles are not a dysfunctional franchise…uncheck

New system? See cards…Check

Winning with a back up QB?? Ummm OK So did the Bears should Trestmann be in the running?

Really? Over the past 6 years they have underperformed and ran off the two individuals who made them a top franchise in Reid and McNabb. They have had coaching staff issues, poor free agent contracts and QB problems. Also issues with their star wide receiver Desean Jackson.

And yes, if McCown had played more and if the Bears make the playoffs, Trestman should be in the conversation.

The Eagles are playing as good as almost any team offensively over the second half of this season. They were picked to be dead last in the East. All of this led by a backup QB. Kelly is a big time coach even if he is a bit of an ass.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Franchise that's had 2 losing seasons in the past decade and only one in the past 7 years hardly is dysfunctional

Drafting is the GMs job and it's far too early to say if the Eagles draft this year was top 5. Not sure why this has anything to do with whether or not Kelly should be COY

Winning w/QB who played in 7 games last year and easily could have won starting job this year and probably should have if coach hadn't made a poor decision to go with Vick instead is another way to look at winning with backup.

Coaching a team that's 30th in total defense is hardly an accomplishment worthy of CoY either.

Both Reid and Arians have done more than Kelly.

Have you looked at the Eagles roster? Both the Cardinals and Chiefs have significantly more talent than the Eagles. The Eagles are in a market that comes with much more pressure. Kelly has come in, worked with the front office to clear out a ton of dead weight, and made the most out of a big pile of crap. All while the entire league is staring and picking apart the fast tempo offense he is bringing in.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Eagles roster? Both the Cardinals and Chiefs have significantly more talent than the Eagles. The Eagles are in a market that comes with much more pressure. Kelly has come in, worked with the front office to clear out a ton of dead weight, and made the most out of a big pile of crap. All while the entire league is staring and picking apart the fast tempo offense he is bringing in.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say, "Arians?" Because there's not a single team in the NFL who "cleared out a bunch of dead weight" than the Cardinals. Plus, Kelly's starting QB(s) were already on the roster he inherited. BA nearly had to settle for using Drew Stanton.

Kelly will at best be the #3 choice for COY. Chip has done a good job, but tops in the league? Not quite.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There is no clear-cut COY prospect, but I would vote for Ron Rivera. Guy went from the brink of losing his job to a possible first-round playoff bye.

I would also not be mad if Andy Reid won given how quickly he turned that franchise around.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
11-5 should get Arians some consideration. Especially with the win over Seattle and the Chiefs stumbling into the playoffs.

I'm a Cowboys fan (yeah I know) and I think it's a travesty that Dallas or the Eagles are going to get in ahead of the Cardinals.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There is no clear-cut COY prospect, but I would vote for Ron Rivera. Guy went from the brink of losing his job to a possible first-round playoff bye.

I would also not be mad if Andy Reid won given how quickly he turned that franchise around.

I agree. Rivera has done more with less than the other guys IMO.

With the exception of a week 14 hiccup in New Orleans, Riverboat Ron and his Panthers have won EVERY game since the week five loss at U of P. And that includes going into Candlestick and beating the Niners.

If B.A. doesn't win the award, I hope Rivera does.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree. Rivera has done more with less than the other guys IMO.

With the exception of a week 14 hiccup in New Orleans, Riverboat Ron and his Panthers have won EVERY game since the week five loss at U of P. And that includes going into Candlestick and beating the Niners.

If B.A. doesn't win the award, I hope Rivera does.

Where I disagree with the Rivera vote is that he is winning with a QB and a roster he has spent years building. He helped buy the ingrediants for dinner and had some test runs making it while Reid, Kelly and Arians had to work with mostly what they had and only got one shot.

Rivera is #4 at best IMO. No one else is working a QB as good as Cam, nor have they had 3 years to mesh with their QB.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that with the Cards outside looking in on the playoffs, perhaps with an 11-5 record, in the toughest division in football, BA will get some additional votes in the COY column out of sympathy & respect. Maybe even enough to win it again.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I actually think if the Cards don't get into the playoffs BA will get enough sympathy votes to win COY

I think that with the Cards outside looking in on the playoffs, perhaps with an 11-5 record, in the toughest division in football, BA will get some additional votes in the COY column out of sympathy & respect. Maybe even enough to win it again.

I hadnt considered this and hope it is true. Kelly shouldnt win because he is in such a weak division. I know they dont make the schedule but you have to consider that with an easier schedule they should have more wins. If an NFC East coach is going to get it it should be Garret. He didnt get to pick his aweful DC and has to work for jerry jones and has potentially won just as many games as Kelly. Besides, Kelly is an a**.

If BA doesnt get it then Riveria should. Im a big Reid fan but they have gotten fat on an easy schedule and couldnt back it up against the big boys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hadnt considered this and hope it is true. Kelly shouldnt win because he is in such a weak division. I know they dont make the schedule but you have to consider that with an easier schedule they should have more wins. If an NFC East coach is going to get it it should be Garret. He didnt get to pick his aweful DC and has to work for jerry jones and has potentially won just as many games as Kelly. Besides, Kelly is an a**.

If BA doesnt get it then Riveria should. Im a big Reid fan but they have gotten fat on an easy schedule and couldnt back it up against the big boys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it is a ridiculous one. What exceptional work has Ron Rivera done this year? What has he overcome? Because he finally has won despite being terrible for enough years that he put himself on the hot seat? I am not saying Rivera has not done a good job, but he did not inherit a crappy roster...he didn't overcome adversity at the QB position...he doesn't play in a tough division...they have not been a dynamic team. Do you really elevate Rivera over Reid or Kelly because of the conferences they play in?

Ugh, I get the Andy Reid arguement, but I can't see the Ron Rivera arguement.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it is a ridiculous one. What exceptional work has Ron Rivera done this year? What has he overcome? Because he finally has won despite being terrible for enough years that he put himself on the hot seat? I am not saying Rivera has not done a good job, but he did not inherit a crappy roster...he didn't overcome adversity at the QB position...he doesn't play in a tough division...they have not been a dynamic team. Do you really elevate Rivera over Reid or Kelly because of the conferences they play in?

Kelly didn't inherit a crappy roster either. Lesean McCoy, Desean Jackson, Jason Avant, Jason Peters at LT, Trent Cole at RDE and two above average quarterbacks. He came in and did well with a weak schedule and in a weak division. Good job, but not COY good. Arians came into the best division in football and did better IMO.

Look at week 15! Two road games against below average teams.
Arians went into Tennessee and almost got beat but escaped with the "W".
Kelly went into Minnesota and got stomped by a team without its top two running backs. His bone-headed decision to go for it on 4th and 1 from his own 25 midway through the third quarter contributed to the defeat.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kelly didn't inherit a crappy roster either. Lesean McCoy, Desean Jackson, Jason Avant, Jason Peters at LT, Trent Cole at RDE and two above average quarterbacks. He came in and did well with a weak schedule and in a weak division. Good job, but not COY good. Arians came into the best division in football and did better IMO.

Look at week 15! Two road games against below average teams.
Arians went into Tennessee and almost got beat but escaped with the "W".
Kelly went into Minnesota and got stomped by a team without its top two running backs. His bone-headed decision to go for it on 4th and 1 from his own 25 midway through the third quarter contributed to the defeat.

Desean Jackson has been garbage the past 2 years. Jason Avant? Really? I give you McCoy, Peters, Kelce, Cole, Celek and Maclin, but he got injured. Not a loaded roster by any means. Cary Williams and Connor Barwin were free agent additions. Not a great roster.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You may have said it better but we are on the same page.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

Big pile of crap? They have one of the top 5 RBs, good WRs and an emerging QB who's playing like a top 10 QB so far this year. The talent on offense is almost all people who were there before Kelly came in.

The defense is a big pile of crap, I'll give you that. It's no bigger a pile of crap than the Cardinals offense was when BASK took over.

Last year, the Eagles were 15th in total offense, 15th in total defense.
The Cardinals were 32nd in total offense, 12th in total defense.
The Chiefs were 24th in total offense, 20th in total defense.

This year, the Eagles are 2nd in total offense (+13) and 30th in total defense (-15).
The Cardinals are 21st in total offense (+11) and 6th in total defense (+6)
The Chiefs are 20th in total offense (+4) and 23rd in total defense (-3).

To me it's pretty clear cut which team has improved the most from last year.

Last edited:

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You can call it silly but IMO the award is for overacheiving with what you have....doesnt matter how you got it. Otherwise BA doesnt win it last year because Luck was his QB. Besides riveria isnt the gm in carolina anyway. Blame a crappy roster on the gm, not the coach.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There's 3 different coaches deserving that accomplishment this year, as a Cards fan hell yeah I think Arians deserves it. He won it last year, and the other 2 coaches do have impressive and surprising seasons as well. I think we will lose the three way tie breaker once again...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big pile of crap? They have one of the top 5 RBs, good WRs and an emerging QB who's playing like a top 10 QB so far this year. The talent on offense is almost all people who were there before Kelly came in.

The defense is a big pile of crap, I'll give you that. It's no bigger a pile of crap than the Cardinals offense was when BASK took over.

Last year, the Eagles were 15th in total offense, 15th in total defense.
The Cardinals were 32nd in total offense, 12th in total defense.
The Chiefs were 24th in total offense, 20th in total defense.

This year, the Eagles are 2nd in total offense (+13) and 30th in total defense (-15).
The Cardinals are 21st in total offense (+11) and 6th in total defense (+6)
The Chiefs are 20th in total offense (+4) and 23rd in total defense (-3).

To me it's pretty clear cut which team has improved the most from last year.

Very good ranking system and should be considered in the decision making process.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Rivera seems like the media favorite but he and Arians are both pretty deserving imo. I don't think there are many guys who have coached better in the last two years than Arians given the circumstances. Making the playoffs as an interim and posting a 10 (maybe 11) win season in the toughest division in football is pretty damn good.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Considering the Chiefs & Panthers are playoff bound & the Cards aren't, Arians will finish 2nd or 3rd IMO. It will play a factor!!!

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Considering the Chiefs & Panthers are playoff bound & the Cards aren't, Arians will finish 2nd or 3rd IMO. It will play a factor!!!
Knew I was forgetting someone, totally spaced on Andy Reid. He'll probably get it but I think either one of those three are pretty deserving.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't mean to say, "Arians?" Because there's not a single team in the NFL who "cleared out a bunch of dead weight" than the Cardinals. Plus, Kelly's starting QB(s) were already on the roster he inherited. BA nearly had to settle for using Drew Stanton.

Kelly will at best be the #3 choice for COY. Chip has done a good job, but tops in the league? Not quite.

Keim should be Executive of the Year just for getting rid of Kevin Skelton and Levi Brown.

Whisenhunt should have been COY in 2011 for winning 8 games with Kolb and Skelton at QB.