Bruce Arians NFL Coach of the Year?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This guy seems to think BA should win it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...e-cardinals-just-answered-003858708--nfl.html

The Cardinals belong in the postseason. They have won 10 games without great quarterback play, without a left tackle, without a grade-A tight end, and with their first-round pick (guard Jonathan Cooper) out for the season. They shut down Marshawn Lynch with what is the league's best run defense. With all respect to Andy Reid and Ron Rivera, I would have no problem with Bruce Arians being a back-to-back Coach of the Year award winner.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This game moves him up the list. Unfortunately it probably moved Bowles up a different list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This game moves him up the list. Unfortunately it probably moved Bowles up a different list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why we won't lose Bowles to a HC opportunity : Most teams are looking for Offensive minded coaches. Lovie Smith is probably the top D HC candidate available. Bowles too laid back and a bit goofy doing his weekly interviews with the press (IMWO).

Why we do lose him: Minority candidate which moves him up on many lists. Sure the Cards have talent on the D but Bowles knows how to use every one of his players to the best of their ability.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I get the Reid argument but not the Kelly one. Yes they are playing well but they play in the NFC least and won't have more wins then the Cards.

Took over a top 5 drafting team from a head coach who is well respected. New system and has won with a backup QB. Did not inherit the roster that Reid did and his team is playing hotter at the end of the year than the Chiefs. Personally, he would be my choice if they make the playoffs. He has done more with less IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Love me some SK but the biggest miss you didn't list was at LT. Sure So well stinks less then Levi but I credit BA and staff for making it work instead of SK grabbing a Sept. waiver wire pick up. Heck even that was probably BA's choice/request.

Having said that SK should get the best GM award.

Meh, I didn't see a ton of offseason options at LT. Maybe they had a shot at Albert or Monroe, but I am not going to downgrade Keim for not making a trade.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
B.A. deserves it IMO especially the way KC is fading. They did not look good against Indy yesterday. Personally, I think what Ron Rivera has accomplished in Carolina is the second most-deserving of the award, not what Andy has done in KC. He inherited a roster loaded with pro-bowl talent and rode a weak schedule to success.

B.A. took a roster loaded with players other teams cast off (John Abraham, Eric Winston, Carson Palmer, Matt Shaughnessy, Yeremiah Bell, Frostee Rucker, Paul Fanaika, even Rashard Mendenhall) and has molded them into a very good football team. And he has done it in the toughest division in the league.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can someone please give me an argument against Chip Kelly OTHER than their weak division if they make the playoffs?

Dysfunctional franchise...check.

Top five drafting team...check.

Completely new system...check.

Dynamic offensive team...check.

Winning w/ their backup QB...check.

Playoffs...we will see.

If they make the playoffs, I can't see how Chip doesn't win this thing.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Can someone please give me an argument against Chip Kelly OTHER than their weak division if they make the playoffs?

Playoffs...we will see.

Second weakest 'strength of schedule' behind the Chefs.

KC opponents win percentage .429
Philly opponent win percentage .460 {tied with Detroit}
Arizona opponent win percentage .531

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Second weakest 'strength of schedule' behind the Chefs.

KC opponents win percentage .429
Philly opponent win percentage .460 {tied with Detroit}
Arizona opponent win percentage .531

Teams can't determine who they play so I have a tough time buying this argument.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams can't determine who they play so I have a tough time buying this argument.

Its a valid point. Just because a team can't choose their schedule doesn't make how a team navigates it any less impressive.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agree 100% He found a way to get Palmer, Dansby, Abraham and then a cast of others that were not here last year.

Do we not give the GM the credit for picking the new guys and signing them?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we not give the GM the credit for picking the new guys and signing them?

That's who should be getting the credit. More so than the coach IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Its a valid point. Just because a team can't choose their schedule doesn't make how a team navigates it any less impressive.

I would still say that these all supercede strength of schedule.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

Playoffs...we will see.

Franchise that's had 2 losing seasons in the past decade and only one in the past 7 years hardly is dysfunctional

Drafting is the GMs job and it's far too early to say if the Eagles draft this year was top 5. Not sure why this has anything to do with whether or not Kelly should be COY

Winning w/QB who played in 7 games last year and easily could have won starting job this year and probably should have if coach hadn't made a poor decision to go with Vick instead is another way to look at winning with backup.

Coaching a team that's 30th in total defense is hardly an accomplishment worthy of CoY either.

Both Reid and Arians have done more than Kelly.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Franchise that's had 2 losing seasons in the past decade and only one in the past 7 years hardly is dysfunctional

Yep

Drafting is the GMs job and it's far too early to say if the Eagles draft this year was top 5. Not sure why this has anything to do with whether or not Kelly should be COY

I believe Chopper means that their record was so bad last year and that's why they are drafting so high. Thing is Reid new team had the worst record last year & BASK was drafting 7th, two hole spots later than Chips and only one more loss.

Winning w/QB who played in 7 games last year and easily could have won starting job this year and probably should have if coach hadn't made a poor decision to go with Vick instead is another way to look at winning with backup.

Yep

Coaching a team that's 30th in total defense is hardly an accomplishment worthy of CoY either.

Well they are the 2nd best Offense in scoring and that is his specialty. He does get a point or two deducted for making Billy Davis his DC :D

Both Reid and Arians have done more than Kelly.

Chopper does have some very good points but the Eagles will have at best a 10-6 record and that's having 6 games against their weak sisters.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would still say that these all supercede strength of schedule.

The eagles are not a dysfunctional franchise…uncheck

New system? See cards…Check

Winning with a back up QB?? Ummm OK So did the Bears should Trestmann be in the running?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The eagles are not a dysfunctional franchise…uncheck

New system? See cards…Check

Winning with a back up QB?? Ummm OK So did the Bears should Trestmann be in the running?

Arians was allegedly running a "slimmed-down" version of Whisenhunt's system--assuming that Arians was being honest in his early-preseason pressers.

And had the Bears not gone 10-6 and missed the playoffs last year, Trestman should be in the conversation for Coach of the Year.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see how Chip doesn't win this thing.

The Eagles are only successful because Chip Kelly's plans for a read-option offense didn't work out.

He got super-lucky with Nick Foles, but that wasn't part of his plans for the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Eagles are only successful because Chip Kelly's plans for a read-option offense didn't work out.

He got super-lucky with Nick Foles, but that wasn't part of his plans for the team.

Link? Because I remember Kelly having gushing things to say about Foles when he got the Philly job...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link? Because I remember Kelly having gushing things to say about Foles when he got the Philly job...

Just wiki Nick Foles. Vick was announced the starter to begin the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just wiki Nick Foles. Vick was announced the starter to begin the season.

Okay. But what does that have to do with him "not being in the plans for the team"? Because clearly Foles was the #2 quarterback after a guy who was a veteran, Pro Bowl player and (for a time) a fan favorite.

No one expected Foles to be as productive as he's been, but at the same time, people who think that Kelly's system somehow requires a quarterback with plus-mobility aren't paying much attention to how Kelly's offense operates.

If that spread option attack is working right, even a guy like Nick Foles should average 4+ yards per carry. Oh, wait. That's exactly what he's doing. That attack isn't about making your quarterback beat one guy; it's about giving the quarterback opportunities to run where he doesn't have to beat any guys.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. But what does that have to do with him "not being in the plans for the team"?

Maybe I didn't articulate it very well but the plans for the Eagles were to start M. Vick and keep Foles as backup. Vick started the first 4 games, so there were no plans to start Foles. Never meant to have it come across that they would want to cut him.