Bryan has come of age

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My wife and I have just moved (from north-central Phoenix to Sun City), so I haven't been able to check each post. I hope I'm not duplicating anything.

But Bryan Colangelo's quote in today's Republic sure put 37 years of Suns philosophy (Jerry's philosphy) in its place.

We can safely put aside that soft label that has been associated with Suns basketball probably for the history of the Suns organization.

Recognizing that you can be creative with the Center position on offense, but not on defense -- having true Centers on defense, who can shoot from the perimeter on offense -- is a positive step toward using Amare to his potential, while adding the bulk required to advance in the post-season.

He has expressed what many of us having been saying on various Suns boards over the years. Welcome aboard, Bryan. :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BC867 said:
My wife and I have just moved (from north-central Phoenix to Sun City), so I haven't been able to check each post. I hope I'm not duplicating anything.

But Bryan Colangelo's quote in today's Republic sure put 37 years of Suns philosophy (Jerry's philosphy) in its place.

Recognizing that you can be creative with the Center position on offense, but not on defense -- having true Centers on defense, who can shoot from the perimeter on offense -- is a positive step toward using Amare to his potential, while adding the bulk required to advance in the post-season.

He has expressed what many of us having been saying on various Suns boards over the years. Welcome aboard, Bryan. :thumbup:

Can we save this quote, or can someone use it as a signature? :p

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yes, but he's still forgetting that we have never had a dominating Center. I know few teams do, but it seems like that's what almost all championship teams with exception to the Bulls have had lately.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yes, but he's still forgetting that we have never had a dominating Center. I know few teams do, but it seems like that's what almost all championship teams with exception to the Bulls have had lately.

Nobody has a dominant center except for Miami. The Pistons don't have a dominating center.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Let me know when that "Dominating Center Tree" starts producing fruit. Things don't seem to grow as fast in the desert -- soil's too saline.

moose

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Nobody has a dominant center except for Miami. The Pistons don't have a dominating center.
Exactly, and neither do the spurs. what the suns need is good interior defense, which they definately did not have last year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
moose said:
Exactly, and neither do the spurs. what the suns need is good interior defense, which they definately did not have last year.

Right. You do not need a dominant center. You do however need a dominant big man, which we have.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You do not need a dominant center. You do however need a dominant big man, which we have.

Pshaw. You need a dominant player. What position he plays is ultimately irrelevant.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Yeah never mind all those defensive player of the year awards Ben Wallace has. If you don't think he dominates with his defense and rebounding, yous crazy.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
elindholm said:
You do not need a dominant center. You do however need a dominant big man, which we have.

Pshaw. You need a dominant player. What position he plays is ultimately irrelevant.

exactly E, and I agree we do have this player, I know he may not be 37 years old, a member of the 1996 dream team and comming off major knee surgery like we all like our players to be but he may sufice.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
moose said:

Duncan basically plays center for the Spurs on defense. He camps in the paint blocks shots and rebounds. Out of all the power forwards he plays the most like a true center. Most teams try to guard him with their center.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yeah never mind all those defensive player of the year awards Ben Wallace has. If you don't think he dominates with his defense and rebounding, yous crazy.

Sure, but he's NOT a center!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Duncan basically plays center for the Spurs on defense. He camps in the paint blocks shots and rebounds. Out of all the power forwards he plays the most like a true center. Most teams try to guard him with their center.

Semantics. The center position doesn't exist in the NBA, except in Miami and Houston. Everyone else is called a "center" simply because that's what the 5th position has always been called.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I think your reasoning is a little flawed, Eric. The Lakers aren't going to win the championship with just Kobe Bryant, who is a dominant shooting guard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Wrong again. Nazr Mohammed is the Spurs' center, and he has PF size anyway.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Wrong again. Nazr Mohammed is the Spurs' center, and he has PF size anyway.

Hmmm..I said that he basically plays center. Which means he's listed at PF but plays the Center position. He camps in the paint and is usually guarded by a center.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sure, but he's NOT a center![/QUOTE}

Wrong Once Again. Why don't you call him a center..because he's not 6'10 or taller. He can leap out of the gym and is a rock down on the block. He does everything that team needs it's center to do. Sh*t I wish we had him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Wrong Once Again. Why don't you call him a center..because he's not 6'10 or taller. He can leap out of the gym and is a rock down on the block. He does everything that team needs it's center to do. Sh*t I wish we had him.

I'm not saying he's bad, I agree with you--I wish we had him too. But he's not a center. What you're essentially saying is that you want a dominant player to play the 5 spot, whatever that is defined as. And, actually, we DO have that already.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Stoudemire is as much of a center as Ben Wallace is. Right now Stoudemire dominates on offense, and Wallace dominates on defense. The difference is that Stoudemire has the ability to improve dramatically on defense, whereas Wallace is never going to become a great offensive player.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Stoudemire is as much of a center as Ben Wallace is. Right now Stoudemire dominates on offense, and Wallace dominates on defense. The difference is that Stoudemire has the ability to improve dramatically on defense, whereas Wallace is never going to become a great center.

I think, Eric, you might have meant to say, "...whereas Wallace is never going to become a great offensive player." At least, that's how I interpreted it.

fordronken

Reaction score
JPlay said:

I always considered Barkley as an undersized shooting guard.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I argue that the positon of center on offense is different than the position on defense. This is because the bulk of the "centers" in the NBA play center on defense, ie defend the low post, while it is power forwards that play the low post on offense.

Most of the really tall guys are either useless on offense or outside shooters like Dirk. The classic big low post guys are victims of the new defense rules and the way players are trained.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
I'm just gonna sit back and see what D'Antoni rolls out there come October.
He used his best players in a system that worked well, at least for the first 34 games of the season.
Will he adapt the system to 2005 Suns?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC867 said:

I'm still in shock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan