Bryant Johnson to the 49ers

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... instead of bashing Bryant Johnson, the deal he signed, or his new team/ QB/ head coach, why don't we discuss who the Cardinals are gonna line up instead as their #3 WR, and how big an upgrade that guy is over BJ?

I'd start the discussion, except I don't know who that better option is. :confused:

WC

True of course but you have to give us a little freedom to poke fun at him for a few days before we wonder how to replace him.

I don't blame him at all I do think he got a bit of Jamir Miller medicine he thought he was going to break the bank and apparently didn't.

I just heard a radio report of the signing locally the guy said yes the Cards have lit up the 49ers through the air in recent years but no that wasn't the guy who was catching all those passes.

As others have pointed out he's reunited with Sullivan our ex WR Coach and then OC for one year. They continue to bring in guys he's coached before so far it hasn't really panned out.

I'm guessing like Bruce, they won't let Johnson wear #80.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
A WR drafted in the mid to later rounds gives me at least a couple of years of 1) equal or more production than BJ, or 2) the hope of number 1 until we have to get someone else. :)

Mulli:

Got someone in mind? Remember, it wasn't too long ago that the Cardinals front office thought that Bryant Johnson was a first-rounder. Who knows what they might find on day two of the draft? ;)

(Yes, I know Rod Graves snatched up Anquan Boldin in the second round. And with that pick, used up his quota of dumb luck well into the next decade.)

WC

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Shows this guys fire which was evident here.. and his agent my god..

Who accepts a 1 yr deal their first shot at FA using the worst offense with no set QB as a stepping stone for next years free agency. If he gets injured he is screwed. If the niners cant move the ball he is screwed.

Nice job BJ should have learned to catch the ball with your hands and not your chest!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Rumor was he was offered 6 million by the Bills, but he said that's too much...he just couldn't envision getting 6.

Seriously, though, I'm glad they got him. A player who is a questionable #3 at best (BJ) and an over the mountain vet. Yeah, I am not in the least bit scared.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Honestly what should I expect Johnson to do since he signed with us? I know alot of 49er fans wanted him when FA first started. Sounds good though, anything to upgrade from Jackson

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"What a douche?"

You guys do realize that this is a job for these guys, right? If that's who offered him the best deal, then so be it.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
"What a douche?"

You guys do realize that this is a job for these guys, right? If that's who offered him the best deal, then so be it.

I don't really care. I'm not a NFL player who looks at this like a business. I'm a fan of the Cardinals. He is now playing for the enemy, so I hope Adrian destroys him.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
anyone remember me? xD

I wanted Johnson at the beginning of Free Agency, i have no doubt he can easily beat out any of the scrubs we currently have. Its nice to see we got him but it wont really make a difference until we upgrade the QB position. :(

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted Johnson at the beginning of Free Agency, i have no doubt he can easily beat out any of the scrubs we currently have. Its nice to see we got him but it wont really make a difference until we upgrade the QB position. :D
FTFY

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
In his career here in AZ, even with all the games missed by Q and Fitz over the years, his best game as a Cardinal was 87 yards!

See ya, BJ. :wave:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Aparently he was really close to signing with the Bills. But he wanted a similar deal to that of Jerry Porter and Donte Stallworth. The bills said 'no thanks'.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In his career here in AZ, even with all the games missed by Q and Fitz over the years, his best game as a Cardinal was 87 yards!

See ya, BJ. :wave:

WOW, That is a TERRIBLE stat. I cant believe that, with all the Key drops he has had and he has never broken 100 WOW, way to go Graves great first round pick!! I love he traded down from Suggs and Leftwich for Pace and Johnson, they still is one of the most ******** things I have ever seen!!

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Honestly what should I expect Johnson to do since he signed with us? I know alot of 49er fans wanted him when FA first started. Sounds good though, anything to upgrade from Jackson

No offense, but did you ever watch the Seahawks when Jackson was there? DJack is a legitimate #1 WR. It's not his fault your terrible QB can't throw to him.

Bryant Johnson = Travis Taylor, if you remember him. He's a functional player who can start.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
No offense, but did you ever watch the Seahawks when Jackson was there? DJack is a legitimate #1 WR. It's not his fault your terrible QB can't throw to him.

Bryant Johnson = Travis Taylor, if you remember him. He's a functional player who can start.

Jackson benefited from playing in the same offense with Matt Hassleback for six frickin' years. Of course you are going to play great when you have that kind of continuity with an offense. Outside of Holmgren's WCO Jackson is nothing more then a #2 receiver.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score

Oh yeah and when we offered what a 4th rounder, I was happy with the move. But he dropped alot of passes in Seattle as well, wonder why they gave him up to a division rival for so cheap. Even went after Deion Branch.

Granted he looked much much better when Hill was QB but I seen him not run correct routes (and lazy route running) and drop key passes (even to win the game against the Rams at the end of the game). You remember our game against you guys in week 1, Jackson dropped two key TD passes, one at the end as well.

He hasnt performed as that legitimate number 1, not his hands nor his route running. But that's my opinion. I was asking how is Johnson. Is this a good pick up for a Martz based offense?

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Oh yeah and when we offered what a 4th rounder, I was happy with the move. But he dropped alot of passes in Seattle as well, wonder why they gave him up to a division rival for so cheap. Even went after Deion Branch.

Granted he looked much much better when Hill was QB but I seen him not run correct routes (and lazy route running) and drop key passes (even to win the game against the Rams at the end of the game). You remember our game against you guys in week 1, Jackson dropped two key TD passes, one at the end as well.

He hasnt performed as that legitimate number 1, not his hands nor his route running. But that's my opinion. I was asking how is Johnson. Is this a good pick up for a Martz based offense?

well **** i could tell you that. NO, Martz doesn't like big receivers just look at the guys he has had success with in the past. Holt, Bruce, McDonald, Furrey and Curtis are all small shifty receivers that he tends to use in his system. Now thats not to say he cant fit the big man in his offense, he will accommodate his offense to the talent we have.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think Martz can use whatever he's got to work with. Roy Williams is 6-4, 220 and he did pretty well for Martz. Not to mention Furrey being molded into a threat. BJ may or may not flourish but I think Martz gives him an opportunity to do well.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
D-Jax is released. This will help BJ as more passess will be thrown to him. It can also turn out to be a curse.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Skillet hands drop a TD in the endzone for the 9ers, yup that's why he's yours 9er fans, enjoy :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05