C-Webb to Mavs?

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
The Forth Worth Star-Telegram is reporting that Webber is close to signing with the Mavs for their MLE. It suggests that "if he signs with the Mavs, figure Brown heads to the Suns."

Feel the love, P.J.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The source of the rumor is from LA, but Webber would certainly make more sense than PJ for the Mavs.

OP
OP
O

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
Here's the original post

C-Webb to Mavs, really?

So the Internet's blowing up tonight (Sunday) with reports that an LA radio station has C-Webb, yes, Chris Webber, ready to sign a deal with the Mavericks, with the Mavs giving him the full mid-level exception, $5.36 million...hey, why not? might as well spend the thing, and C-Webb could become a signature add if his veteran body can hold up and if he's ready to embrace a reserve role on a team led by a coach with unwavering championship aspirations.
I don't know about you, but late summer Sundays are for relaxing with family, so I gave Donnie Nelson a rare Sunday night off. Eddie Jones is expected to be at the Mavs' offices for a physical Monday before his deal for $1.83 million this season can be finalized.
Perhaps Webber is close in tow. The Mavs clearly could use veteran help to back up Dirk and help Avery ease up just a bit on Dirk's minutes while feeling comfortable that the sub can hold the fort for a few minutes. The Mavs have long had their eye on Webber and P.J. Brown, who's been mulling retirement, but could also command the full MLE from the Mavs or Phoenix or Boston or maybe even others -- everyone it seems needs size in the paint.
Webber has said it's either Detroit or Dallas, so if he signs with the Mavs, figure Brown heads to the Suns. That would make for some interesting analysis of two aging forward-centers as the season goes along.
For Webber, to sign with the Mavs has to be a little strange seeing how his career forever changed at the AAC during the 2003 playoffs when he blew out his knee in a horrible injury under the basket. That Sacramento team was really good and still took the Mavs to 7 games. With Webber healthy throughout, I think that Kings team could have won the championship. The Spurs beat the Mavs (without Dirk) in six games in the West finals and went on to win it all.
-- Jeff

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Ehh, whatever. I hope Avery leaves both Webber and Howard in during crunch time. The chances of them calling really bad timeouts in clutch situations shoots through the roof.

Heavy D

Rookie
Reaction score
I love CWebb on the Mavs. Please, please, please Mr. Catfish Avery Johnson, leave CWebb in the game to try to guard Amare in crunch time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Webber drop 17, 9 and 3 on us when the Pistons beat the ever living crap out of us at home, even without Chauncy? Not saying he's the missing piece, but Webber and Eddie Jones continue to provide at least solid depth, a word/concept that's apparently completely foreign to our FO. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily want either of those guys, but having Marks as our 8th man right now, plain and simple, is a complete joke.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Webber is still a very good offensive threat and I've projected him as being Cuban's target far ahead of PJ. He would make the Mavs better. I'm not sure he solves their matchup problems with the Warriors and Suns, but he does give them a low post threat that Dampier and Diop lack.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure he solves their matchup problems with the Warriors and Suns, but he does give them a low post threat that Dampier and Diop lack.

Exactly what I was thinking. C-Webb's just a nice player these days, but one could only hope they'd play him at center against us. Diaw could actually match up with him. Webber's still a really good high-post player. He's kind of a heavier, slower Diaw with a better jump shot, and not nearly the brute he used to be. Still a better fundamental rebounder, though.

That would be a high-scoring matchup if the Suns went with a lineup that included Amare and Diaw vs. Dirk and Webb. Dirk would be in foul trouble in about 2.3 seconds.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Webber drop 17, 9 and 3 on us when the Pistons beat the ever living crap out of us at home, even without Chauncy? Not saying he's the missing piece, but Webber and Eddie Jones continue to provide at least solid depth, a word/concept that's apparently completely foreign to our FO. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily want either of those guys, but having Marks as our 8th man right now, plain and simple, is a complete joke.

:raccoon:

nash2stouds

Reaction score
Ehh, whatever. I hope Avery leaves both Webber and Howard in during crunch time. The chances of them calling really bad timeouts in clutch situations shoots through the roof.

Wrong howard.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think the Mavs are better with CW. I don't agree that CW will get as embarrassed as Damp and Diop and makes them better down low either. He is not going to get them a title though.

The Mavs had 3 problems last season. They couldn't get any points in the paint, they couldn't defend the paint and got inconsistent play from the point. CW helps them on the offensive end in the paint but he still can't move laterally enough to stop the likes of Amare.

This move doesn't put them over the top over San Antonio or the Suns.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Webber's still a really good high-post player.

This is where I believe webber changes the Mavs, a center who can shoot from 15-17 and pass the ball to the open shooters. No more sagging in the lane off of dampier or diop to help on penetrators. With webber and nowitski in the game, amare will not be able to hang near the basket for blocks. But I also agree that diaw will be able to operate effectively from around the elbow against webber, and neither can guard amare off the dribble, bad mismatch, no doubt. But when amare is on the bench ... thats another matter.

OP
OP
O

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
There are a couple of factors that make Webber so attractive. First, teams need a scorer off the bench (see Barbosa) and preferably both a backcourt and frontcourt version (see Diaw?). The Amares and Dirks need breathers and foul problems dictate pine time. Second unit scoring is essential on championship teams. With Stackhouse and potentially Webber, Dallas' second unit would be tough. The other issue is pure depth re. unexpected troubles (injuries, suspensions) and potential trade bait during the season. God fobid Amare or Marion go down, but if they did Diaw steps in. Who could score on the frontline after Diaw, who is already too often a passive scorer?

fordronken

Reaction score
I think Diaw would play well if Amare was hurt for a long stretch. I am just hoping he can play well if Amare isn't hurt for a long stretch.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I think Diaw would play well if Amare was hurt for a long stretch. I am just hoping he can play well if Amare isn't hurt for a long stretch.

Well, I think they need to learn how to coexist together. That is vital. If they can learn to do that, and Boris can be more selfish, I think it will be a great tandem for years to come. Boris is only 25. Amare is 24, almost 25. They could really be a force. I mean, we all saw Boris' talents in the 05-06 season. And Boris passed the ball too much this past season. I hated it when he had open shots this season, in the freakin paint, and passed the ball. Man, if Boris was more selfish, it would be much better. Weird huh?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Obviously the Suns have made a huge committment to Boris. They are clearly gambling that he can up his productivity a lot because there is not much margin for error.

Most criticism has been on the offensive end, but that's not what will decisive. IMHO, his offensive breakdowns last season came from him playing out of position at SF.

What will make the most difference is how he plays defense and rebounds. He's not big and strong, so he will have to play smarter, make better use of leverage, and become more aggressive.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I still think the Mavs are better with CW. I don't agree that CW will get as embarrassed as Damp and Diop and makes them better down low either. He is not going to get them a title though.

The Mavs had 3 problems last season. They couldn't get any points in the paint, they couldn't defend the paint and got inconsistent play from the point. CW helps them on the offensive end in the paint but he still can't move laterally enough to stop the likes of Amare.

This move doesn't put them over the top over San Antonio or the Suns.
I agree with your post. The mavs point guards i thought played well in the regular season. They wern't always great every night, but they did well most of the time. In the playoffs they took a leave of absence. I don't know that we need to panic though because the same guys took us to the finals a year prior. Combined with the fact that harris has a lot of room for improvement. I agree with the big men in the paint. Diop is good for our defense. dampier is good for offensive rebounding. Aside from those aspects they are often liabilities in other areas. On offense in paticular. That's where webber can help. I don't know that he will start...just based on his age alone. But having him on the court should help the mavs offense from that position. Having said that the good news for the mavs is they aren't too far away from phoenix or S.A. I as well wouldn't put them ahead of either of the two. The spurs are champs and phoenix didn't lose to a team they shouldn't of. But our head to head with phoenix is pretty much 50/50. and it's just a wild guess, but if you ask pop who his worst matchup is he will probably say the mavs. I could go back to when the mavs beat the spurs, but that was a different time and place.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree with you. I don't think phoenix or any other great nba team for that matter should be nervous about the mavs' offseason. Chris Webber and Eddie Jones are both nice additions for the mavs. Outside of stackhouse, the mavs didn't always get solid offense from their bench. These two guys can at least help in that area. I think the mavs also need to get josh howard more involved in the 4th qtr. But leave the timeouts for dirk or someone else.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last year Dallas finished 24th in assists at 19.9 assists per game dispite being 9th in scoring at 100.1. In the Warrior series the Mavs had only 17.8 assists. Clearly their offense looked very sluggish.

BTW, the grabbing style of the Spurs did limit the Suns ball movement. During the regular season the Suns averaged 25.87 apg, while against the Spurs the Suns averaged 20.3 apg. Against the Lakers the Suns averaged 27.0 apg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05