camby??? + steven a smith and marburrys stupid comments about nash

nashmvp13

Reaction score
i first signed up for this forum during the offseason, made one post then forgot about it completely... i went through my email and rediscovered it... so id like to say hi first of all because ill be on here from now on since the season has started... hi...

a lot of people on here seem to talk about preparing for the future and as far as our bench goes id say that is a fair asscessment...
id like to see DIAW, BARBOSA, and JONES coming off our bench getting better for many years to come...
they are all studs in the making...

but for our starting line i'd like to see it more prepared to win now...
i want NASH and MARION to be rewarded with championships and not just seen as guys that kept us competitive while we were developing and getting ready to win championships...

that said i think CAMBY would be a perfect fit here and would be willing to give up picks and take on bad contracts in order to take a chance on him especially the way he is playing early in the season...
i think he could be had from denver given their current state for the right price...
they are a team that is in fact getting ready for the future although they were seriously over-hyped this offseason...
our 1st.r.p. and the hawks 1st.r.p. would help them do this...
we're not in a position to add much more depth so i'm not sure how usefull those picks would be for us, next years draft is a weak one, and like i said i want to win now, not develope more players...
us taking on the contracts of NAJERA and WATSON would free up money for them to resign NENE and ANTHONY, their players of the future...
right now they can't afford to resign both...
they don't even use WATSON, and NAJERA is only seeing 20 minutes a game because NENE is hurt otherwise he'd be the odd man out...
we would send them JACKSON, GRANT, and THOMAS...
JACKSON and GRANT have expiring contracts and although they aren't used here i think they would fit in well in denver...
JACKSON would help with their three point shooting which is horrible right now, he may even start...
GRANT would take NAJERA's minutes at a fraction of the cost...
THOMAS would act as big man until NENE's return next season...
he'd get more playing time in their system, maybe even average a double double again...
we'd also have to send the trade exception...

CAMBY is an anchor to a defense that would help us greatly... this big man can run the floor, he can block shots, he can body up on people... GARNETT said one of the three people that give him the most trouble is CAMBY...
HE CAN REBOUND...
his impact on this team would just be tremendous!
no more late game collapses...
and he's now scoring around the basket!
we need that...
yes he is around the same age as NASH, and yes he misses some games throughout the year do to injury (which is why denver might part with him), but i want to win now, this year...
with this addition and STAT coming back we are good to go for atleast three years to come...
NAJERA would be huge hear as well...
i see him contributing right away with our lack of size...
he has great energy and is unselfish...
he does alot well although he is overpayed...
we would have options with WATSON...
i don't see him joining our gaurd rotation because i like it just the way it is...
but maybe he can help us...
if he is deemed expendable there are a lot of teams that need point guard help that have extra big men...
we could trade him right away for some size or hold on to him and see what becomes available closer to the trade deadline...

so it would brake down like this
CAMBY, NAJERA, WATSON

FOR

THOMAS, GRANT, JACKSON, T.E., OUR 1ST R.P., HAWKS 1ST R.P.

RESULTS (with STAT back for playoffs)

NASH, BELL, MARION, STAT, CAMBY
DIAW, BARBOSA, JONES, NAJERA,(big man from WATSON trade)
HOUSE, BURKE
(i'm sure jerome james could be had for watson given how he is out of favor in new york and they desperately want a real point guard... i would add him but i also understand why others would be leery... i think he would be really good coming off the bench for this team... it's just one of the many possibilities...)

MILLER, JACKSON, ANTHONY, MARTIN, THOMAS (NENE next year)
BOYKINS, LENARD, JOHNSON, GRANT, ELSON
BUCKNER, KLEIZA
(money to resign anthony and nene and two first round picks next year)

we should look into this when teams are allowed to trade people they signed in the offseason...

i also think we should extend diaw and barbosa as soon as possible!

we'd be hands down best team in the league and would plow through the spurs on our way to several championships...

i'd also like to comment on how steven a smith and marburry are idiots...
if marburry is a better point guard then nash then how come no one wants him... im sure there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't trade their point guard for nash... also nash has shown that he can get you more then 20 points with only dishing out 7 or 8 assists like "marburry has done throughout his career"... and the last time i looked they are virtually tied in points, rebounds, and shot attempts but marburry is getting crushed in assists (11.6 to 4.8), and steals (1.2 to .4)... if he played as many minutes as marburry he'd be even more up on him... isn't it funny that the past two times he's left a team another player steps in and immediately out preforms him... i didn't know martin and stat developed magically when he left like he claims... and wait, last time i checked martin and stat are out leaving nash and kidd with no big men and yet they are still out preforming marburry... and marburry has curry... i'm sure this all makes sense to people who aren't idiots... nash make his team better because he can... marbury clearly can't... if marburry had half the heart of nash maybe his coach wouldn't dispise him as much as he does... "nash can't even mess with you", what an idiot...

thanks for reading my post... i'd love some feedback!

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like a rebuilding deal for the Nuggets but they want to compete also this season.

From the other site I'm not sure Camby's upgrade over Thomas is worth a high pick and swallowing Najera's and Watson's contracts. Especially with Camby's well-known fragility.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
I'd really love to have Camby (runs well, great blocker and rebounder) but he's (quite) injury-prone and his contract runs through 2010.

That and the fact we'd have 2 really bad contracts to swallow (especially Watson) and 2 first round picks to throw away in your scenario make me say NO.

And I forgot to say that trade is impossible to do for cap reasons.:)

OP
OP
N

nashmvp13

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure it matches up...
yeah i know the contracts would be alot but that's why we'd move watson for a big (james is available but no one likes him, i hear suns fans are high on ely who is also available, both teams need point guard help, there are options)... a lot of teams need point guard help... so we wouldn't swallow his contract...

and there are 3 years left on najera's contract at like 4m, 4.5m, and 5m... yeah he's overpaid but he would contribute right away here so he wouldn't be a waste... especially with stat out... he really does have great energy and is currently playing really well... i loved him back in dallas... he is a likeable guy making him a great fit for our locker room... he knows his role which is great d and rebounding... we need that right now... plus he gets up and down the floor real well... he is a little undersized but he is strong and he always competes with his heart... i like that...

every team wants to compete every season... what i meant is that there door is just opening... all their studs are so young... their core of miller, anthony, martin, and nene are not there yet... as management you have to recognize that and know that your window is a few years away... we have the reigning mvp, the most versatile player in the league, and the most mobile dominating big man... we are ready now...we also have our guys signed for years to come... they need to free up money to keep their youth together... someone has to go if they're as dedicated to nene as they say they are...

with the picks, they wouldn't have minutes here... we have our rotation... best case scenario we'd have a darko to keep the bench warm... denver is still looking to solidify that rotation and draft picks would have a chance to grow with that squad and contribute... i'm more concerned with extending diaw and barbosa then with draft picks... also next years draft is fairly weak with a lack of decent bigs which would be the one spot we may still have open come draft time...

and i know cambys history, but the past 3 years he's only missed a handful of games... he's been getting better every year he has been in denver playing more minutes, grabbing more boards, putting up more points, getting more blocks and steals, and just playing better basketball... he's another guy who is ready now as he is hitting his peak just like nash has and he can run putting him square into our system... and he's been healthy... i'm telling you, it's a done deal if we get this guy... championship... worst case scenario there is only three more years left in him and nash... i doubt that, but it's still three championships... he is well worth the risk... the upgrade over thomas is huge... this guys a real center, one of the few ones who can play like this in the league!!!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The salaries aren't close.

Camby $7.2 million
Watson 5.0
Najera 4.2
Denver total: $16.4 million

Thomas $6.6 million
Jackson 2.7
Grant 1.7
Phoenix total: $11.0 million

sunsfn

Reaction score
THOMAS, GRANT, JACKSON, T.E., OUR 1ST R.P., HAWKS 1ST R.P....OOPS!

Grant is not going anyplace, he came her instead of the Nuggets or another team..........the Nuggets are not going to give up Camby!

And, of course the OOPS, with the TE.

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
You wouldn't be able to use the $3.5 million Trade Exception in this trade. You cannot combine the TE with players salaries to take on players of higher salaries. One of those players would have to be subbed for another player that made $3.6 (allowed a $100,000 disparity) or less in order to use the TE.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If Denver wanted to make the deal we could probably find a way. We use our TE to trade for someone with an expiring contract at around 3.5 mil then toss him into the trade, which would probably be okay on December 15th. (Not sure of that date)

Nothing guarantees a championship and this would be a risky way to go because of Camby's physical question marks but it beats any other plan that I can think of because Marcus would be such a good fit for this team. He even has a decent mid-range jumper, which would be a nice plus when Amare returns.

Even if we got stuck with Watson it wouldn't be a disaster - he has a reputation as a very good defender and there are always times when you can use someone like that. I haven't seen him play enough to vouch for his D, but I know he was a 'closer' on the Memphis team which is some evidence of it. Of course, Watson may well think it a disaster since he has hopes of being a starter instead of minor role player - but it's not worse than what's happening to him thus far in Denver.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The easiest way to make the trade work is just to leave either Najera or Watson out of it.

That said, I can't imagine why Denver would want to give up Camby for Kurt Thomas, even with a couple of marginal picks thrown in.

OP
OP
N

nashmvp13

Reaction score
CAMBY TONIGHT

40MINUTES (STRONG, HEALTHY, AND RUNNING THE WHOLE YIME), 22 REBOUNDS, 18 POINTS ON 7-13 SHOOTING AND 4-5 FT, 7 BLOCKS, A STEAL, 3 ASSIST, AND HE ONLY PICKED UP 2 FOULS...

very impressive stuff...

am i the only person who saw that episode of quite frankly and was upset?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Camby was on the Suns wishlist when we had our big FA money, but it was clear he was going to be out of our range. We had also looked at getting him from NY for a couple years.

I dont think anyone would argue that he is the perfect compliment to Amare. Same thing with players like Chandler and Dalembert (same style of play). Actually, IIRC his contract is really quite manageable too. He got a high dollar amount, but a lot of his contract is based on incentives (like games played). Same concept that Rashard Lewis agreed too since there were a lot of question marks with him too.

That being said, there is just no way that Denver would give us Camby for the above package. Figure that we are in the same conference - so the deal would have to be very very good for them in order for them to bite.

I am guessing that it would have to be something more along the lines of

KT
Barbosa (or Jones)
Jimmy
The boston/laker pick

for

Camby
Watson

I guarantee they would want one of our young, cheap, starting caliber 2gs as part of any package. I still don't think the above deal is enough though - nor do I know if it would be worth it long term.....

OP
OP
N

nashmvp13

Reaction score
yeah i know they would never trade camby for thomas straight up...
that's why everything else goes their way... they need alot of incentive to do this...
they need to get rid of najera and watson to sign nene and anthony... this trade would allow that...
they need 1str.p.'s to add to their youth movement and fill up roster spots since they wont have any money left after re-signing nene (and they swear they are keeping nene) and anthony... i'm not sure they even have 1str.p.'s of their own for years to come (the martin deal)...
they need guys who can play some minutes with expiring contracts so they have that financial flexibility (jackson, grant)...
bottom line on them and camby is that by the time they are ready to contend he will be on the downside of his career...
he is keeping nene's spot warm for their future team...
so he's gonna need to go so nene can start anyway (when the time comes)...
i'm sure they don't want a ratliff situation...

yeah... i can see them asking for one of our young bench players... good point... i'd have to know which one before i could make up my mind... i think they'd still do it the way i said or i wouldn't have suggested it... but for arguments sake i think jones is the most expendable... he seems the softest and the most replaceable... barbosa and diaw are just better and have worked jones out of his minutes (and out of the starting line-up) by outplaying him... i'm just not attached to him as much... i'd want leonard in return though... they are both their teams designated 3 point shooters... i wouldn't like it, but i think i'd still do it...

there's a good add on... if you had to give up JONES, BARBOSA, or DIAW who would it be???

i hope this doesn't get burried because that's actually a great question...

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
Denver won't be giving away Camby just so they can give away Watson and Najera. Teams like New York and Miami are already interested in Watson, so giving him away like that makes no sense for Denver. Camby has been a huge reason for their success, and there's no rush to get rid of him. Maybe they'll try next year when Nene is up for resigning, but not now after losing him for the whole season. Nice though, but I don't think it's workable at all. And answering your question, James Jones.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
Right now, Camby is the Nuggets MVP and he also was last season. His contract has tons of incentives for production. So, it shouldn´t be exactly be considered a bad contract.

In the other hand, without Nene and with K-Mart limited by a knee injury, there is no way to Denver trade Marcus Camby without get quality big men.

Like someone said, Denver isn´t looking for rebuilding again.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
nashmvp13 said:
there's a good add on... if you had to give up JONES, BARBOSA, or DIAW who would it be???

Jones. A very good shooter but, for now, brings almost nothing else to the table.

And Jones/Jackson/Thomas (with, let's say, the lakers/celtics pick and the rights to Vujanic) for Camby/Watson works under the cap (2634020).

Don't know why Denver would do it, though.