Can Kolb Now take the Reins?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Kolb's pay is appropriate for a starting QB, He has not had a fair shot yet with the Cardinals, no offseason - but he was hurt half the season.

But what does Holmgren say about Matt leinart- has he has not shown enough promise to get a chance at a full season? without a 2 QB system with a Kurt Warner package inserted by a mad scientist? just a thought

I think Holmgren would agree that Leinart shows about as much promise as Colt McCoy at this point! :D

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I'm not going to try to quantify the QB play of this team due to W-L record. If we did, however, Kolb would be completely and utterly destroyed by Skelton. Compare their records. Just sayin'.

And you've also clearly learned how to put the blinders on so as to evaluate the QB you are backing in a more positive light. Kolb has been in the league for how many years, and had solid, 1st and 2nd string development for how many of those years? And Skelton?

Let me help you with that last question: Zip, zilch, zero. Skelton got nothing but 3rd and 4th string scraps in practice his first training camp. Suddenly, he was thrust into the lineup his rookie season--out of Fordham, where he had nowhere near any kind of decent college development, let alone pro development--without any practice. He was utterly swamped that rookie season, yet went 2-2 in that rookie season. That feat is incredible for a rookie 5th round QB from Fordham.

He then had exactly no offseason development, and next to no training camp development, due to the lockout. He ends up 5-2 in his second season, STILL without any developmental time on any significant level. He never even had real college development--Fordham is not known for coaching QBs and prepping them for the NFL.

And yet you're willing to say he's just an average NFL QB at best, at the very best. Judgmental much? How about we actually have him get at least a wee bit of actual solid coaching from actual NFL coaches, not 3rd and 4th string camp arm coaching sessions. How about he gets a full offseason taking snaps with the 1st and 2nd teams before we judge? And how about we actually wait and see if Kolb can utilize the pocket like a normal QB before we go throwing out 12-4 ideas with him, eh?

Kolb, 12-4 potential. And yet you don't want Skelton to get any chance before limiting him. Oh brother. Uninformed is right.

LOL!

Stout, whenever I meet you, I'm going to buy you not one, but two beers. Your passion for the Cardinals is admirable.

And, thanks for confirming what my wife tells me everyday! :D If Skelton turns out to be our QBOF, I'll be a happy man. I'll be the first in line for a #19 jersey.

Best,

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My post doesn't have anything specifically to do with Kolb but with our QB's in general. I just didn't feel like creating a whole new thread about it and this seemed the most appropriate place.

I read something today on the Cardinals home page that just irritated the hell out of me in regards to coaching up our QB's. The article is called "Getting into the habit" and discusses the offseason time for our QB's, who are going through some coaching from new QB coach John McNulty. Right now they're going over footwork and not making any wasted motions.

Skelton had this to say: “In years past, it seemed like, if the ball’s on the money and where it needs to be, we could let everything else slide,” Skelton said. “Now, I am throwing some good balls but my feet are messed up and that’s when I get coached up. Not only with coach McNulty but coach (Whisenhunt) back there and coach Mike (Miller) sometimes.”

Bartel: “It’s a great time to lay a foundation,” Bartel said. “It’s imperative, even at the professional level. You always need to revisit that stuff.
“Consistency is everything. The only way you can be consistent is to be efficient as possible, so every time you drop back, it’s not a new experience every time. The more redundant we can be, the better.”

And it isn't just the inexperienced players going through this, they're doing it with Kolb too. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great first step, but what the hell were we doing the past few years after Warner retired? :bang:

Skelton hasn't even had a lot of time to be coached up, but even he says in years past they let things slide and that now his "feet are all messed up". :bang:

/end rant.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...he-Habit/f8c4402e-8cb9-49af-9eec-8d42d1183a5b

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think John Skelton should be the starter for this team.

Double Deuce.

Is it debatable ?

Sure.

But my decision is made.

:number1:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have really liked Skelton since the first time I saw him play, but I'd like to see Kolb succeed. Skelton isn't going anywhere, he'll get his shot. I'd like to see Kolb really utilize the talent around him and make a nice run so that Skelton can continue to develop steadily. I did say this last year and I stick by it: Skelton's the only QB on our roster who has shown improvement ON THE FIELD every year he's been here.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skelton had this to say: “In years past, it seemed like, if the ball’s on the money and where it needs to be, we could let everything else slide,” Skelton said. “Now, I am throwing some good balls but my feet are messed up and that’s when I get coached up. Not only with coach McNulty but coach (Whisenhunt) back there and coach Mike (Miller) sometimes.”

Could he have been talking about his time at Fordham???

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could he have been talking about his time at Fordham???
I don't think so. I also think he confirmed what many of us have suspected for quite awhile.

I'm no coaching expert, but I've always suspected - going back maybe as far as Don Coryell (& with the exception of Kurt Warner who, in a sense, was his own QB coach) - that the Cardinals have never had a "QB Whisperer" on its offensive coaching staff.

Job Description - Most likely but not always: (1) a former QB who's been there and done that, (2) can get inside a quarterback's head, (3) is a student of the nuts and bolts of playing QB and (4) can teach it. He doesn't have to be a QB Coach, he can be a strong head coach with a QB background. Andy Reid, Norm Clow, Ernie Zampese and Jim Harbaugh are some of good QB-developers who come to mind. Bill Walsh and Coryell were two of the best.

My point is that, on those teams, there was a focus on actively working hands-on with QB's 24/7 - 12 months a year to maximize their effectiveness within the team's offensive system, and I'm not sure the Cardinal franchise has really bought into this until (hopefully) now.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Philly's stacked offense, when Kolb was there. I didn't see it. I'm not saying it was bad, but I think the pieces, on offense, we take into this season will be better. I certainly wouldn't call the Eagles (of two years ago) stacked JMO.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don't read too much into these preseason article's. They are just creating stuff to keep interest. A new QB coach is going to change things up from what was done in the past.

Bobcat

Reaction score
I don't read too much into these preseason article's. They are just creating stuff to keep interest. A new QB coach is going to change things up from what was done in the past.

I agree. But it is good to just talk football again. Sick of talking Lebron, Kobe and where Nash may wind-up.

But you must admit it is tough to sit a guy who knows how to win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05