Cardinals Agree To Terms With Buster Davis

Jim O

Reaction score
Cardinals Agree To Terms With Buster Davis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, July 19, 2007

You must be registered for see images

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has agreed to terms on a three-year contract with Florida State linebacker BUSTER DAVIS, the team’s third-round (69th overall) selection in the 2007 NFL Draft. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

Davis (5-9, 239) was recognized as a second-team All-American as a senior in 2006 by the American Football Coaches Association, Walter Camp and The Sporting News. He started all 13 games at middle linebacker and led the team with a career high 109 tackles (57 solos) also adding five sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. His play helped the Seminoles finish the year ranked 12th in the nation in rush defense and 18th overall.

The Daytona, FL native finished his collegiate career by starting 37 consecutive games at middle linebacker for Florida State while also leading the Seminoles in tackles each of his final three years, recording 265 stops during that span.

Davis becomes the third member of Arizona’s 2007 draft class to be under contract. The team previously signed Michigan wide receiver Steve Breaston (fifth round, 142nd overall) and Delaware tight end Ben Patrick (seventh round, 215th overall).

- www.azcardinals.com -

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Cant wait to see this guy in camp. :thumbup:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
If he is actually listed as 5'9, how tall do you think that he really is? I remember seeing Ron Mckinnon who was listed at 5'11 and he looked to be closer to 5'9.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he is actually listed as 5'9, how tall do you think that he really is? I remember seeing Ron Mckinnon who was listed at 5'11 and he looked to be closer to 5'9.

Beats me.. But any ball player under 6'0 who weighs 245lbs is gonna be hard to stop, regardless of height.

Campus: 4.61 in the 40-yard dash … 394-pound bench press … 534-pound squat … 347-pound power clean … 4.22 20-yard shuttle … 32½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot broad jump … 31¼-inch arm length … 10¼-inch hands … Right-handed … Wears contacts.

Combine: 4.64 in the 40-yard dash … Benched 225 pounds 24 times … 31-inch vertical jump … 8-foot-8 broad jump … 4.37 20-yard shuttle run … 7.28 three cone drill.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
He really is 5'9 but built like a mack truck. Very nice guy and will represent us well on and off the field. I'll actually see him today and be sure to congrat him

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I have high hopes for this guy, I love his attitude and swagger and hope he can be a solid rock for us for his career.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nice, I have high hopes for this guy, I love his attitude and swagger and hope he can be a solid rock for us for his career.

Me To. I just have this feeling that this guy could be a difference maker.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Me To. I just have this feeling that this guy could be a difference maker.

He was the captain of a Florida State defense who featured Roderick Bunkley, Lawrence Timmons, and Kamerion Wimbley.

When hired, Whisenhunt mentioned that he wanted to bring in leaders with positive attitudes. A key instrument when changing a team's attitude.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice!

I am excited about this guy.

At first I was worried about this kid in a 3-4 defense. Then I saw NFL Top 10 LB core and Sam Mills (also 5'9") was a monster in that defense.

I am not saying Buster Davis is the next Sam Mills (one could only hope) but it shows that it can be done.

3 down and 2 to go.

I think Alan Branch will be a tough signing.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
What makes this even better is that he got a 3 instead of a 4 year deal. Just shows the changes in management and dealings with contracts

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What makes this even better is that he got a 3 instead of a 4 year deal. Just shows the changes in management and dealings with contracts

Wait... why is this better? They always do 3-year contracts for picks outside of the 1st and 2nd round...

Len P did a story about the onset of everyone getting four-year deals a month and a half ago:

But beyond the volume of signings, the most interesting aspect of the deals struck so far is that all but two of them are four-year contracts. Indeed, given the trend, the three-year contract soon might be rendered obsolete.

Only a few years ago, it was rare to have a second-day pick sign more than a standard, three-year deal for the minimum base salaries. Then some franchises, like New England, essentially began to mandate longer contracts even for late-round prospects, and other teams quickly followed suit.

The most recent extension to the collective bargaining agreement set maximum terms for contracts: six years for a player chosen in the top half of the first round, five years for those selected in the bottom half of the opening stanza, and four years for every other player. That seemed ample excuse for some teams to bully middle- and late-round choices into signing four-year contracts. The longer terms are generally more beneficial to the teams, of course, because it allows clubs to lock in players for more years and at fixed costs, typically at the minimum base salaries.

Based on the wave of early signings, the four-year approach clearly has picked up even more momentum. The only franchise to so far sign any choices to three-year contracts is ever-traditional Pittsburgh, which inked fourth-round punter Daniel Sepulveda and fifth-round offensive lineman Cameron Stephenson to three-year deals on Thursday afternoon.

All of the four-year contracts negotiated so far this year do include so-called "escalator" clauses for the fourth season, which allow the players to increase their base salaries for the final year of the deal by reaching certain performance or playing-time standards. But it's become increasingly obvious that most teams are going to strong-arm their choices into signing the longer-term contracts. And that most agents are willing to comply.

In 2006, there were 224 prospects chosen after the first round and 64 of them signed contracts that were shorter than four years. Even in the seventh round, 22 of 47 choices in 2006 received three-year contracts. The number of contracts for less than four years doesn't figure to be nearly as big in 2007.

There remained a few traditionalist teams in '06 -- Arizona, Baltimore, Carolina, Detroit, Kansas City, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Washington -- that stayed mostly with three-year contracts after the first two rounds, but it will be interesting to see how many clubs still adhere to the old, three-year deals in 2007.

The early indication is that not many will and that most deals after the first round will be for the maximum of four seasons.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Wait... why is this better?...

He might mean it is better because his 3-year deal is signed one week before camp, rather than a 4-year deal being signed 4-weeks into camp...

If the Cardinals were only interested in getting the be$t deal for the Front Office, they probably could get it.

If the Cardinals Front Office is more interested in winning, then they will try and get our rookies all the camp time possible.

Nice job, Rod Graves.

Do it twice more before camp and K9 himself will praise you.:D

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
As a side note, if Buster isn't "the man" after his third year, then Buster is probably a Bust.

And if Buster goes Bonzo, they will give him a new contract early anyway.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Click here to watch a highlight reel of Cardinals third round draft pick Buster Davis.

:newcards:

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Meaning good for him and for mgt for not being sticklers and getting him into camp on time.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Branch may be a hard signing because he was Top 10 talent who slipped to the 2nd.

But I remember when we drafted him, he said he'd be very committed to us because we "showed him love" by moving up to get him.

I guess we'll just have to see how much "love" there really is.