Cardinals Agree To Terms With Buster Davis

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Can you just accept the fact that having a Buster Davis type of player instead of a Leonard Davis will be better for turning around the attitude of this team?

I like the fact that having an OL with Leonard Davis starting is better for turning around the team than a team with Gandy and Wells starting :shrug: .

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duckjake, why must you drift away from the topic at hand?

Ok, Levi Brown won't be playing defense for us. I never said that as one of my points, like my previous post says, leaders are essential in order to turn around a team.

We don't have very many of those "leaders" in our defense. If you remember last year, Antrel Rolle said there were too many people fcking around and not serious about winning. Leaders are.

You're ridiculously splitting hairs.

Can you just accept the fact that having a Buster Davis type of player instead of a Leonard Davis will be better for turning around the attitude of this team?

You said the team didn't have any leaders before this years draft. Do you really believe that Levi Brown and Buster Davis will provide more leadership than Matt Leinart. That's crazy.

We've had plenty of Buster Davis type players in the past. Heck Leonard Davis was a "leader" at the University of Texas and was never considered by anyone to be a problem in the lockeroom.

Every year we here about the "new" attitude at the start of the season and how everyone was slackin' off and not seriously committed to winning at the end of the season.

To think that 4 rookies are going to change that because of what they did in college is naive at best.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Davis a leader in college!?!

The same Davis messing around in the combine?

The same Davis who wasn't serious about winning with the Cards??

It's a given that Leinart will provide us with leadership, but outside of him.. Who are some other players that are known vocal leaders?

Particularly on defense.

Again...

The Edge

Reaction score
Really? I mean, here are the 3rd rounders from the 2005 draft:

2005 3 1 65 Frank Gore 49ers RB Miami (FL)
3 2 66 Oshiomogho Atogwe Rams DB Stanford
3 3 67 Charlie Frye Browns QB Akron
3 4 68 Courtney Roby Titans WR Indiana
3 5 69 Andrew Walter Raiders QB Arizona State
3 6 70 Channing Crowder Dolphins LB Florida
3 7 71 Alex Smith Buccaneers TE Stanford
3 8 72 Stanley Wilson Lions DB Stanford
3 9 73 Vernand Morency Texans RB Oklahoma State
3 10 74 Justin Tuck Giants DE Notre Dame
3 11 75 Eric Green Cardinals DB Virginia Tech
3 12 76 Karl Paymah Broncos DB Washington State
3 13 77 Ryan Moats Eagles RB Louisiana Tech
3 14 78 Kirk Morrison Raiders LB San Diego State
3 15 79 Evan Mathis Panthers G Alabama
3 16 80 Dustin Fox Vikings DB Ohio State
3 17 81 Richie Incognito Rams C Nebraska
3 18 82 Alfred Fincher Saints LB Connecticut
3 19 83 Chris Henry Bengals WR West Virginia
3 20 84 Ellis Hobbs Patriots DB Iowa State
3 21 85 David Greene Seahawks QB Georgia
3 22 86 Kevin Everett Bills TE Miami (FL)
3 23 87 Scott Starks Jaguars DB Wisconsin
3 24 88 Sione Pouha Jets DT Utah
3 25 89 Atiyyah Ellison Panthers DT Missouri
3 26 90 Jordan Beck Falcons LB Cal Poly
3 27 91 Chris Colmer Buccaneers T North Carolina State
3 28 92 Vincent Burns Colts DE Kentucky
3 29 93 Trai Essex Steelers T Northwestern
3 30 94 Adam Snyder 49ers G Oregon
3 31 95 Darryl Blackstock Cardinals LB Virginia
3 32 96 Brandon Jones Titans WR Oklahoma
3 33 97 Domonique Foxworth Broncos DB Maryland
3 34 98 Leroy Hill Seahawks LB Clemson
3 35 99 Dustin Colquitt Chiefs P Tennessee
3 36 100 Nick Kaczur Patriots G Toledo
3 37 101 Maurice Clarett Broncos RB Ohio State

I don't want to stun you, or anything, but most of those guys aren't starting coming into their third season. Some of them are, like Gore and Incognito, but the great majority of them aren't starting, and aren't really that close to the starting lineup.

I count 16 major contributers on that list and atleast two "stars"
Buster's gonna be a baller :thumbup:

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I count 16 major contributers on that list and atleast two "stars"
Buster's gonna be a baller :thumbup:

What's a "major contributor"? Morency didn't make much of an impact until his third season. He had 51 total carries his first two seasons in the NFL. You're right with Gore and Henry, of course. But there is no disputing that they were both first-round talents that fell because of red flags off the field. Gore had severe medical concerns and Henry had character concerns (which were obviously justified). Neither started as rookies, and Henry took two years to get out from behind Kelley Washington.

Mathis had 0 starts and only appeared in 9 games as a rookie before getting the starting job due to injury last season. Morrison has played for the Raiders, but he hasn't been a huge factor. Crowder hasn't done much for the Vikes, either.

I'm not saying that 3rd round picks never contribute--that would be flatly wrong. But I'm still not seeing much reason to believe that Davis is going to do much of anything this season.

The Edge

Reaction score
What's a "major contributor"? Morency didn't make much of an impact until his third season. He had 51 total carries his first two seasons in the NFL. You're right with Gore and Henry, of course. But there is no disputing that they were both first-round talents that fell because of red flags off the field. Gore had severe medical concerns and Henry had character concerns (which were obviously justified). Neither started as rookies, and Henry took two years to get out from behind Kelley Washington.

Mathis had 0 starts and only appeared in 9 games as a rookie before getting the starting job due to injury last season. Morrison has played for the Raiders, but he hasn't been a huge factor. Crowder hasn't done much for the Vikes, either.

I'm not saying that 3rd round picks never contribute--that would be flatly wrong. But I'm still not seeing much reason to believe that Davis is going to do much of anything this season.

Ok so you were talking about rookie third-rounders?
In that case you can throw out what round they were picked in because a majority of rookies don't crack the starting lineup.

Morrison started 15 games his rookie year and lead all NFL rookies in tkls with 91, 116 totl. He then started all 16 games in 06 and had 101 tkls, 127 totl.

Crowder started 13 games his rookie year and 14 in 06. The three games he didn't start in 05 and the two in 06 was because the Dolphins opened with five or six DB's. In 05 he had the most tackels by a Dolphin rookie since Zach Thomas in 96 (90 solo).

If Buster has a rookie and/or sophomore campaign like those two guys... I'd be happy :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Crowder started 13 games his rookie year and 14 in 06. The three games he didn't start in 05 and the two in 06 was because the Dolphins opened with five or six DB's. In 05 he had the most tackels by a Dolphin rookie since Zach Thomas in 96 (90 solo).

Impact plays. Ronald McKinnon and Raynoch Thompson picked up plenty of tackles, too. But they never made any plays that helped their teams win games.

No one ever said that Crowder or Morrison was a large part in their respective teams' defenses being any good. I'm sure Crowder was aided by having the Defensive Player of the Year playing right next to him, and Morrison by having a pretty good defensive line in front of him.

The Edge

Reaction score
Impact plays. Ronald McKinnon and Raynoch Thompson picked up plenty of tackles, too. But they never made any plays that helped their teams win games.

No one ever said that Crowder or Morrison was a large part in their respective teams' defenses being any good. I'm sure Crowder was aided by having the Defensive Player of the Year playing right next to him, and Morrison by having a pretty good defensive line in front of him.

:bang:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/04/17/impact.rookies/1.html

Shawne Merriman, Lofa Tatupu, Odell Thurman and Channing Crowder were instant impact guys in 2005.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?m=20061212

Here’s more from the Patriots’ 21-0 loss to Miami

– Two tough things to swallow: the careless fumble by Daniel Graham and the punting of Ken Walter. There’s no way Graham should’ve allowed Channing Crowder to punch that ball loose from behind and Walter’s lack of hang time and distance helped the Dolphins maintain a huge field-position edge for most of the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/teams/afce/miami_dolphins.html

Channing Crowder, eager and athletic, made a greater impact than any rookie linebacker since Thomas in 1996.

Last edited:

dallasdirkmvp

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I Think The Phoenix Cardinals Will Have A Ok Year This Year Winning 7 Games And Missing The Playoffs By One Game I Wish The Phoenix Cardinals All The Best Of Luck I Sure Hope Jake Plummer Has A Good Season For You Guys And Also That Jr Redmond Turns Out To Be Another Emmit Smith In The Making He Has All The Tools Now He Just Has To Get It Done On The Field And Try To Power His Way To The Superbowl For The Cardinals God I Hope They Win A Lot Of Games Because I've Been A Cardinal Fan For My Entire Life Here And I Wish You Guys The Best Of Luck And Wish Jake Plummer And David Boston A Good Season And I Hope You Guys Win A Lot Of Games Gl My Fellow Phoenix Cards Fans My The Force Be With You

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is actually listed as 5'9, how tall do you think that he really is? I remember seeing Ron Mckinnon who was listed at 5'11 and he looked to be closer to 5'9.

He can probably qualify for the big boy rides at Disneyworld and does not have to ride in a child restraint seat which contrasts with Bob Costas , who does.

Last edited: