Cardinals Best Defensive Players

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
There are several upcoming stars on Offense, but who are the top Defensive players? Not many come to my mind as being "great".

I would list:

1. Dexter Jackson
2. Duane Starks (or at least he used to be)
3. Ray Thompson
4. Bertrand Berry

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
I would have to say Dexter Jackson, Ron McKinnon, and I am liking what I have seen out of Kenny King and Dennis Johnson showed some good ability towards the end of the year. Other than that I am not real impressed with anyone on D right now.

OP
OP
S

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because last year I had an authentic "PACE" jersey made through NFL Shop. I just finished taking off all the numbers and letters and I'm going to send it back in to be re-customized.

I'm sorry to say bye to Pace because I should probably give him more of a chance (most people in this forum have already written him off) and I'm thinking I'm going to get #92 BERRY or #34 JACKSON. Both will be here a while. I also think DANSBY is an intriguing option. I already have SHIPP and BOLDIN on offense, so I need a defensive player.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
The reason I asked is because last year I had an authentic "PACE" jersey made through NFL Shop. I just finished taking off all the numbers and letters and I'm going to send it back in to be re-customized.

I'm sorry to say bye to Pace because I should probably give him more of a chance (most people in this forum have already written him off) and I'm thinking I'm going to get #92 BERRY or #34 JACKSON. Both will be here a while. I also think DANSBY is an intriguing option. I already have SHIPP and BOLDIN on offense, so I need a defensive player.

How about Dockett? :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerald Hayes. Bert Berry. Ron McKinnon. Dexter Jackson.

That just about covers it.

OP
OP
S

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
One of guys I sit with at the games also has a Dexter Jackson jersey, so I think I'm going to get Berry.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Jackson and Hill.

The fact that these two still made plays with our non-exsistant pass rush is obvious evidence to why these two are our best defensive players.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you can be patient and wait a year Berry, Dockett, Hayes and Dansby could all be legit NFL starters along with perhaps Hill and Macklin.

D Jackson is a legit NFL player and Starks (when healthy) is also.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Jackson is our best defensive player. Umm.. after that we kinda suck at EVERY position on D, lets go with Berry 2nd, and Ronnie Mac 3rd(how sad).

Next year it should be Jackson, Dansby, Dockett, and Hayes, atleast I hope.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Somebody please email the link to this thread to (Big Play) Ray (making big plays like Ray always does) Thompson. Thanks.

:biglaugh: :lmao:

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
If you want loyalty, longevity and heart, go with McKinnon, great guy!

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My list reads like this...

1.______________

2.______________

3.______________

4.______________

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out here...maybe it will come to me sometime in September.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think

"Dirty Jack" and Berry are comfortable picks. King is a good pick. But, being pushed now, as in out of the starter comfort zone, beware of Pace and Bryant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how Ray Thompson got the name "Big Play Ray" considering I can't remember ONE play that actually turned a game around or made an abolsute impact in a win - the only one I've seen do that on this team is Dexter Jackson - he is a big play maker - and hell even Hill (although I think he's best suited as the ideal #3 CB) who made plays that actuallys effected the outcome of ballgames.

Resigning Ray was a mistake IMO - hopefully I'm proved wrong and Denny gets something otu the guy in order for him to live up to his missplaced nickname - I mean didn't Eric Hill give him that name - what the heck does Eric Hill know about making big plays - sure the guy loaded up on tackles - but I never saw Hill as a playmaker either.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There has to be a reason or reasons that the Linebacking, thought to be the one strong area of the defense, suddenly became a problem area once the new staff arrived. Enough of a concern to use the second round selection in the draft to address it.

"Small Play Ray" has a nice ring to it. Kinda fits in with "Wrong Gap" Ronnie.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
"Small Play Ray" has a nice ring to it. Kinda fits in with "Wrong Gap" Ronnie.

:D

I'll always think of him as "The Player Formerly Known as Raynoch". Change your name back, brother.

You think Coach Green was watching tape from last season, looked down at the cap values of all the players, saw Raynoch as Jamal Lewis broke another of his arm tackles, and just hucked the tape into the nearest Dumpster?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:D

I'll always think of him as "The Player Formerly Known as Raynoch". Change your name back, brother.

You think Coach Green was watching tape from last season, looked down at the cap values of all the players, saw Raynoch as Jamal Lewis broke another of his arm tackles, and just hucked the tape into the nearest Dumpster?

I don't know if Green trashed it but that is exactly what happened to my copy of that game. My wife wanted to fish it out and tape over it but I wouldn't let her. Told her it was cursed and to leave it alone.:D

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Top Defensive Players

I think that before you can fairly evaluate your LB's and DB's you have to consider the DL they play behind. And in recent years our DL has been awful. I'm hoping that Berry, Dockett and maybe one other DL who steps up will upgrade the DL and then we'll know how good or bad our "back seven" are.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Garthshort said:
I think that before you can fairly evaluate your LB's and DB's you have to consider the DL they play behind. And in recent years our DL has been awful. I'm hoping that Berry, Dockett and maybe one other DL who steps up will upgrade the DL and then we'll know how good or bad our "back seven" are.

2nd that Garth.

you give a max-effort guy like Ronnie Mac an extra half-second to make a play, and all of sudden he starts looking like a pro-bowler.

crdnl85

Veteran
Reaction score
defense

I like Ron McKinnon,Dexter Jackson,Kenny King,and i believe in Calvin Pace,and Darnell Dockett.I also havent given up on Wendel Bryant,and Dennis Johnson.I guess you could say that i never give up on anyone untill they give up on themselves. :wave:

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
the defense didn't suck that bad last year. it was the offense turning the ball over, which put the defense in bad situation. how many 3 and out did the cardinals offense have. when the offense ranks low, the defense is going to suffer. the cardinals do not have ray lewis and co. to back the offense up. at least the raven's offense were able to run the ball and score touchdowns.