Cardinals @ Cowboys postgame thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking back one comment. On the Cedrick Wilson pass play they were NOT linemen that were downfield it was a WR and I think a TE. I have to admit I don't know the rule are they allowed to block downfield on a play like that, if you're blocking downfield during a pass it's normally OPI but this was a double pass so I'm assuming they may be allowed to block but I honestly don't know. But I thought they were linemen, they're not.

So might have been a legal play

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Vance Joseph receiving some praise today from the national media

This is from Gary Gamling of Sports Illustrated (take it for what it's worth):

Vance Joseph to the Rescue: The Cardinals offense got by sprinkling in some big plays (including an early double move on Trevon Diggs) and got some help from a fake-punt conversion. But it was Vance Joseph’s variety of zone looks that led Arizona to the upset in Dallas. It was the kind of performance the Cardinals needed to get back on track. (And it was the kind of performance that should catch the attention of any team on the lookout for a new head coach.)

Also in the same article:

More Good Than Bad From Isaiah Simmons: He was still uneven out there, but the second-year linebacker had the play of the game forcing a Dak Prescott fumble and was generally a pain in Prescott’s butt in coverage.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If they did review it Edmonds was out of bounds touching the ball anyway. You say don’t blame the refs but then you blame them. Get over it. Cardinals ran out the clock and Cowboys couldn’t stop them.
The fumble is the only play I was upset about that I think got missed by the refs. I couldn’t tell if it was out of bounds. If he fumbled the ball then it wouldn’t matter that he was out of bounds while touching the ball, unless he ran out with possession of the ball which he did not...unless the refs missed that. All that matters is the cowboys defender recovering it in bounds. Unless the ball went out of bounds. Dallas lost to a better team yesterday. Hopefully they get a rematch.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Chase absolutely fumbled the ball, but he was still touching the ball as he rolled out of bounds.
So that makes the ball out of bounds? That doesn’t make sense if he’s not in possession of the ball. He can’t recover the ball if he’s out of bounds..I could see that being an issue.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
More Good Than Bad From Isaiah Simmons: He was still uneven out there, but the second-year linebacker had the play of the game forcing a Dak Prescott fumble and was generally a pain in Prescott’s butt in coverage.

I feel like this was one of his weaknesses. Two big plays - he let the RB and TE leak out for first downs. One they showed him looking into the backfield. He has to get better at that.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fumble is the only play I was upset about that I think got missed by the refs. I couldn’t tell if it was out of bounds. If he fumbled the ball then it wouldn’t matter that he was out of bounds while touching the ball, unless he ran out with possession of the ball which he did not...unless the refs missed that. All that matters is the cowboys defender recovering it in bounds. Unless the ball went out of bounds. Dallas lost to a better team yesterday. Hopefully they get a rematch.
Actually it does matter. The play is dead if part of his body is out of bounds when he is touching the ball. Cowboys bitching because some holding was called on them and every replay substantiated it. You had an entire TD drive handed to you with PI calls. We have had our problems this year but didn’t blame the refs.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
In hiding for his comments lol. I wouldn’t have been able to go today because I’m going to Arizona for the finale next week. He was just in AZ a couple of weeks ago visiting family, then my house for Christmas , so he probably needed a break from traveling
Not in hiding. I'm here loved every minute of it. Been traveling a lot lately. Plus @Buckybird and @Cardsfanstl wouldn't let me go. They says I'm a jinx...:deadhorse:
@MrYeahBut

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If offered the playoff tickets, I'll probably go, but I have an MMA show wildcard weekend so please God don't make us play on Saturday. When I took the show we had the best record in the NFL, and I never thought we'd be playing that weekend...:offtopic:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Actually it does matter. The play is dead if part of his body is out of bounds when he is touching the ball. Cowboys bitching because some holding was called on them and every replay substantiated it. You had an entire TD drive handed to you with PI calls. We have had our problems this year but didn’t blame the refs.
I was unaware that the ball is dead if a player is touching the ball with part of their body out of bounds, I only thought it could not be recovered by that specific player if that were the case. If that is the rule I stand corrected. I don’t think they should be blaming the refs for the loss. When you lose a close game you will always have close calls in a game that didn’t go your way. Ultimately Dallas got beat by a better team and they played poorly for large parts of the game.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
So that makes the ball out of bounds? That doesn’t make sense if he’s not in possession of the ball. He can’t recover the ball if he’s out of bounds..I could see that being an issue.
I believe if a player is touching a ball while rolling out of bounds it’s considered a dead ball even if not fully controlled.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the one of the podcasts (98.7) maybe it was Bickley & Marotta? Anyway, one of them did the math on his return, he had the surgery October 9th & January 9th will be 3 months they said. The surgeon told him the earliest he could come back was 3 months. They went on to say he had been attacking his rehab hard & was already lifting weights, to what extent they didn't know. Most timelines I've read on his surgeries require 4-6 months but his surgeon told him 3-4. He makes our defense better but how effective can he be coming back sooner than expected?
He could play with 1 arm and be better than Gardeck has been this year. Honestly, he'll have fresh legs and plug holed, which will help.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He could play with 1 arm and be better than Gardeck has been this year. Honestly, he'll have fresh legs and plug holed, which will help.
Just his ability to bat down passes alone kills drives, I hope we hear some good news on him after Sunday's game against the "Shehawks"? I'll give Gardeck a pass for now. Why? Because it takes a year sometimes to get the explosion back after an ACL tear. Remember when Golden came back after tearing his? He wasn't the same, didn't get his explosion back till the year after with the Giants.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Me or the Cowboys?

I'm not a complain about the refs kind of guy

We have been on the bad end of many calls, but there are other ways to win the game which we didn't do that factor into the loss

Just pointing out that they are complaining now when they usually get the benefit of the doubt
The cowboys. They just can't accept that they lost to the long-suffering Cardinals, lol.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
if a player OOB touches a loose ball, the ball is dead at that point...also considered OOB

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just his ability to bat down passes alone kills drives, I hope we hear some good news on him after Sunday's game against the "Shehawks"? I'll give Gardeck a pass for now. Why? Because it takes a year sometimes to get the explosion back after an ACL tear. Remember when Golden came back after tearing his? He wasn't the same, didn't get his explosion back till the year after with the Giants.
I'm giving him a pass too. Hoping to see more from him next year.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I believe if a player is touching a ball while rolling out of bounds it’s considered a dead ball even if not fully controlled.
That’s interesting. I’ve seen several recovery attempts that were deemed to be recovered out of bounds because the player was out of bounds while the recovery attempt was being made, but don’t recall ever seeing a ball blown dead because a player touched the ball while out of bounds(with the ball being in bounds) before a subsequent player recovered the ball in bounds. It would of been a crazy challenge for sure, probably would of taken 10 mins.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I’ve seen several recovery attempts that were deemed to be recovered out of bounds because the player was out of bounds while the recovery attempt was being made, but don’t recall ever seeing a ball blown dead because a player touched the ball while out of bounds(with the ball being in bounds) before a subsequent player recovered the ball in bounds. It would of been a crazy challenge for sure, probably would of taken 10 mins.
Have you ever seen a kick returner go OB and then touch a ball in play? It's the same thing any Player that is OB touches a ball in play it's is a dead ball.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes for Byron and Josh Jones.

Not sure what's up with Byron. Started really well. Been baaaad for 5 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This means JJ was our best OL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser