Cardinals Defense

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am sure this has been siscussed in other threads, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the defense yesterday...

I was just dumbfounded how we blitzed every play, and seemed to show EVERY play where we were coming from...

It was so sickening, because all Newton had to do is wait for a couple extra seconds to see which were coming and then slide out of the way and hit his WIDE OPEN wr/te....

And can anyone recal a time where we actually showed blitz but backed into coverage... I was waiting for that the entire game and can not recal a single time where that happend. This morning on the national media everyone is crowning Cam for a great game, in reality had we A. not showed him every play where we were going, or B. showed blitz every once and a while and drop 8 and make Cam beat us...

That never happend and for the most part he just sat back and hit wide open recievers all game... I am calling it now, Newton will not APPROACH 400 yards the rest of the season, not even close and teams will not blitz him nearly as much, thanks to the blue print and how NOT to play the panthers...

We still won, but the defensive play calling was ridiculous....

thoughts?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will blitz a lot.

It comes from all over the place, and they quite often showed and dropped the show-er and blitzed another.

Richard Marshall blitzing was perfect. Several of the blitzes moved them out of FG range and/or caused sacks.

We made secondary mistakes, a lot. Our OLBs were begat in the Old Testament. Blitzing and the way we did it wasn't the problem - it was us not getting there combined with two young inexperienced corners and safety play meant more for the blitz than coverage that made 400+ yards appear on the stat sheet. And also, Steve Smith who is a stud.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Give him credit, they tried to confuse him with the blitz and he didn't get rattled. He stepped up and made some throws that were right on the money.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We will blitz a lot.

It comes from all over the place, and they quite often showed and dropped the show-er and blitzed another.

Richard Marshall blitzing was perfect. Several of the blitzes moved them out of FG range and/or caused sacks.

We made secondary mistakes, a lot. Our OLBs were begat in the Old Testament. Blitzing and the way we did it wasn't the problem - it was us not getting there combined with two young inexperienced corners and safety play meant more for the blitz than coverage that made 400+ yards appear on the stat sheet. And also, Steve Smith who is a stud.

correct me if I am wrong, but from my perspective every time they dropped the "show-er" and sent another it was almost always from the exact angle that the orginal show-er was... so the point was mute... show guys coming from the edge and send adrian wilson up the cneter timing the snap while dropping the orginal... or show one and blitz 3...

The blitz was more effective in the fourth than the first three quarters, and our LBs were killed, but it seemed frustrating when watching, and letting Newton throw for 422 yards is just crazy..

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
If the cards blitz Grossman like they did Newton they will have alot more succes big strong Mobil young qg as opossed to old slow qb

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We will blitz a lot.

We may have the exact opposite of last season where the offense was so bad the defense gave up. This year it will be the defense making the offense want to quit.

It is going to be a real challenge for CKW and Kolb and Fitz to keep the offense focused and producing until the defense hopefully catches up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the cards blitz Grossman like they did Newton they will have alot more succes big strong Mobil young qg as opossed to old slow qb

Yeah, but then Tim Hightower of all people will go off for 145 yards and 2TDs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the possible exception of RG, the Panthers are strong across their O-line.

Plus - in D Williams and J Stewart and Shockey and Olson - they have a bunch of veterans at RB and TE who know what they're doing in blitz pickup.

Give the Panteras credit for handling our pressure.

One other thing I noticed - Newton was really adept stepping in, out and around his blockers - like he was in a maze - to escape pressure.

One thing that surprised me - the number of times our CB's would be matched up against their TE's and RB's and the number of times our safeties (Rhodes in particular) would be matched up vs. their wideouts (Smith and LaFell). Should Horton allow this to happen as often as it seemed to have happened?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct me if I am wrong, but from my perspective every time they dropped the "show-er" and sent another it was almost always from the exact angle that the orginal show-er was... so the point was mute... show guys coming from the edge and send adrian wilson up the cneter timing the snap while dropping the orginal... or show one and blitz 3...

The blitz was more effective in the fourth than the first three quarters, and our LBs were killed, but it seemed frustrating when watching, and letting Newton throw for 422 yards is just crazy..

I wouldn't say every time, but quite often, you are right. And yes, that does negate the effect a lot. Though I think both of Marshall's great backfield plays had him coming from the same side Adrian showed on.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to bring this up as well. The defensive scheme is no different from last season and we saw how well it worked out last season. This is what happens when you keep bringing in coaches with nothing but the Steelers mentality. Whiz thinks he can build the Steelers west and we simply do not have the horses. We would be so much better servered to run a 4-3 but this infatuation with the 3-4 I simply don't get.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to bring this up as well. The defensive scheme is no different from last season and we saw how well it worked out last season. This is what happens when you keep bringing in coaches with nothing but the Steelers mentality. Whiz thinks he can build the Steelers west and we simply do not have the horses. We would be so much better servered to run a 4-3 but this infatuation with the 3-4 I simply don't get.
Interestingly, Chad Pennington pointed out that the Panthers were shifting into an unbalanced line in order to make the Cardinals react by going into, what in effect, was a 4-3.

You could interpret this to mean that Carolina was more comfortable facing us in a scheme adjusted to what looked like a 4-3 than when we were in our base 3-4.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am sure this has been siscussed in other threads, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the defense yesterday...

I was just dumbfounded how we blitzed every play, and seemed to show EVERY play where we were coming from...

It was so sickening, because all Newton had to do is wait for a couple extra seconds to see which were coming and then slide out of the way and hit his WIDE OPEN wr/te....

And can anyone recal a time where we actually showed blitz but backed into coverage... I was waiting for that the entire game and can not recal a single time where that happend. This morning on the national media everyone is crowning Cam for a great game, in reality had we A. not showed him every play where we were going, or B. showed blitz every once and a while and drop 8 and make Cam beat us...

That never happend and for the most part he just sat back and hit wide open recievers all game... I am calling it now, Newton will not APPROACH 400 yards the rest of the season, not even close and teams will not blitz him nearly as much, thanks to the blue print and how NOT to play the panthers...

We still won, but the defensive play calling was ridiculous....

thoughts?

I thought we did in fact put a lot pressure on Cam. More than he has seen in a couple of years and it caused some bad passes. With those runners they have you cannot blitz him every time. Later we went to different type of coverage and it seemed to produce better results. The yardage was high largely because of some long passes and some great catches on those throws. That is not taking anything away from Newton as he did make them catch-able. Often you can lose while throwing for 400 yds as teams try to catch up by throwing on nearly every down when behind. I cannot count the games we have lost while throwing for big yardage. I give our defense a "B-" largely because Peterson could not cover Smith and the same thing on the other side with our rookie. Some times those DBs were beaten by 10 yds or more or just totally out of position. I thought our line did a great job on stopping two really fine runners and they also held on to Newton even if by one foot to save big gains..

The Vegas line was the Cards by 7. How do those guys do it so often? I assume on ties the house wins so the house probably won 10 million dollars on that game.

Don't you know our QB, our coaches, our owner, and actually all the guys really feel super today. I do. It is hard to stay positive throughout a Cards game with our long history and my heart sunk after the Panthers came right back and scored after we had a great drive to score on our first possession. I of course thought our coach was crazy to kick after we won the toss. I am still not convinced that is the best way to go. I think the team that scores first has a better percentage of winning (just a guess). It will be interesting to see how the NFL does with this the rest of the year. I hope coach does not become locked in on this because of our victory yesterday

I say again we need another RB to go with Beenie. If we keep running him like this he is going to get hurt and then we will be in some real trouble. Now we can run and pass. Take one of those away and we are not the same team.

You guys see the add where D. Green is on the computer doing his draft and a picture of Fitz comes up on his computer for him to draft and it shows him already taken. He pounds the table with an angry look. When we start being part of the advertising we are getting some notice. DG will forever be remembered for drafting Larry Fitz and not for his coaching. I think we may have had the two worst announcers in the NFL yesterday. I just did not like these two guys. Not bias but their style. After one game Green Bay looks like the team to beat IMHO. I did not read how our former DB did yesterday. Anyone else see. I did see Boldin make a very nice TD catch in the end zone and then get in the face of the defender. Pure Boldin.

My low moment of the game: When we missed the 36 yd field goal. I thought that would surely come back and bite us and cost us the game.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

As a result of the lockout offensive players who were able to do more in workouts as a unit, i.e - QB and recievers, are further ahead than secondary units right now.

The Cardinals sacked a very mobile QB 4 times, that extrapolates to a 64 sack season! Not saying that will happen, but it's a very good start. In addition to the sacks they did put a lot of pressure on Newton. Give Newton a lot of credit, he played very, very well!

Six foot-five inch QB - it's illegal to hit him low, it's illegal to hit him high, you can't leave your feet to hit him, and when he is in the grasp he is still allowed to throw the ball away... How long before the league makes it illegal to tackle the QB???
What pisses me off even more, the league seems to apply these rules differently depending upon whom the QB is! :madarms:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All i know is we finally blitzed a lot and I enjoyed it. It will clean up over time.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

BIM: moot