Cardinals' Draft: Bowl Standouts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
These are some notes about some of the players who stood out to me this week:

QB:

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina.

Made a couple of mistakes, but displayed all the reasons why teams are enamored with him: size, footwork, vision, arm strength, accuracy from pocket and on the move, improvisational skill.

Deshaun Watson, Clemson.

He too made a couple of mistakes, but kept his poise, used his feet to his advantage and threw plenty of strikes. Very good touch and rhythm on short to intermediate passes, which bodes well for playing in BA's offense. Very good runner. Good vision. Strong leader.

RB:

Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

We have seen what Devonta Freeman has done to electrify the Falcons' running game and thus to open their passing game. Well, Dalvin Cook has an array of exceptional skills to add to Freeman's downhill burst and running style.

Wayne Gallman, Clemson.

Has a similar running style to David Johnson's, although few RBs can slalom cut the way DJ does. Although he runs upright, like DJ, he is slippery and leans forward to get the most out of his run. Not sure if he will be a lead RB in the NFL, but he could be a superb #2.

Nick Chubb, Georgia.

Ground and pound RB who has impressive feet, lower body strength and pad level. Not sure about his receiving skills at the next level, but he could surprise there.

WR:

Mike Williams, Clemson.

Plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's everything we wished Michael Floyd would be. Superb down the field and on 50/50 balls, but also tough and highly competitive on routes over the middle.

Malachai Dupree, LSU.

Has a knack for gaining separation. Very slippery. Has good RAC ability. Is a willing and able blocker downfield.

James Quick, Louisville.

Deep threat who, like Williams, can make strong catches and RACs on under and intermediate routes.

TE:

O.J. Howard, Alabama.

Has WR speed and knows how to get open. But he tends to disappear in games. Can he be a go-to receiver on a regular basis? Only has 2 TDs this year.

Jordan Leggett, Clemson.

Has all the tools. He's a better blocker than Howard and while he's not quite as fast as Howard, he is more consistently productive.

OL:

Cam Robinson, T, Alabama.

Quick off the ball, and very agile for at 6-5, 326. Sets up well in pass pro and plays good angles on his blocks. Can be out-quicked on stunts and edge speed rushes, but once her gets his long arms on his man, he rides them out of the picture.

Pat Elflein, C, Ohio St.

Rock steady in the middle. Has good combination of footwork, leverage and upper body strength. Good leader.

Ethan Pocic, LSU.

Plays surprisingly lithe at 6-6, 309. Can play equally well with power or finesse in whatever the situation dictates. If you want to boost the running game up the middle, this guy gets it done.

DL:

Solomon Thomas, Stanford.

Explodes off the snap, but manages to maintain outstanding body control and ball awareness. Made to order as a 5 technique in a 34. Has 8 sacks and gets to the QB in a hurry at times.

Jonathan Allen, Alabama.

Might be the strongest and most disruptive DE in recent Bama history. Thrives under the big lights.

Devonte Fields, Louisville.

Despite playing injured, Fields was in the LSU backfield all afternoon. Could play 34 OLB at 6-4, 258. Plays long and fluidly.

Harold Landry, Boston College.

Will likely declare for the draft after his breakout 16 sack season. Has equal ability as a bull rusher and quick around the corner rusher.

Carlos Watkins, Clemson.

Moves with surprising agility and quicks for such a big bodied (6-3, 318) DT.

DeMarcus Walker, Florida St.

At 6-3, 275, Walker is load off the edge who brings constant pressure and blows up the running game.

LB:

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M.

Elite skills in all phases. Likely the #1 pick in the draft.

Reuben Foster, Alabama.

Despite smallish size, he has tremendous instincts, range and toughness.

Raekwon McMillan, Ohio St.

Bigger and more rugged than Foster. Not quite as rangy, but is a force to be reckoned with between the tackles.

Tim Williams, Alabama.

Speed rusher, very good athlete, but is on the small side at 6-2, 230.

Ryan Anderson, Alabama.

Not as athletically gifted as Foster or Williams, but is a Johnny-on-the-spot type of playmaker, as evidenced by his pick 6 versus Washington.

Ben Boulware, Clemson.

Self-made all-star, despite short height and athletic limitations. Junkyard dog and tremendous leader.

CB:

Marlon Humphrey, Alabama.

Got beat on the double move for a TD early in the Washington game, but stuck like glue in coverage after that. Has good size and quick feet.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama.

Intense competitor. Forces the run well. Good tackler. Combative when the ball is in the air. Closes quickly.

Tre-Davious White, LSU.

Smooth and sneaky. Finds the ball and gets to it in a hurry. Has return skills.

Sidney Jones, Washington.

Had a rough game versus Alabama. Like his talented teammate WR John Ross, he got overmatched physically. However, his cover skills are potentially elite and once he adds more strength in the weight room, this kid could be a sensational pro.

Cordrea Tankersley, Clemson.

Had a superb game versus Ohio St. Has length, good feet and fluid hips. No stranger to contact, either.

Gareon Conley, Ohio St.

Smart and instinctive. Plays the position the way it is supposed to be played, with good leverage, ball awareness and closing speed. Not flashy---just reliably solid.

Marshon Lattimore, Ohio St.

Has the size and skills and is starting to develop nicely.

S:

Malik Hooker, Ohio St.

Total package as to what the Cardinals need at FS. Has good size and superior range, as evidence by his interception at the pylon over the top of the Clemson WR. And, his initial angle on that pass was off, which he readjusted in mid-run and got to the spot in a flash. He plays physical when he needs to on underneath plays, although he can over-pursue at times.

Jamal Adams, LSU.

Got beat deep by James Quick and there are questions as to whether he can play FS. As a box safety, he is dynamic in all phases. Watching him chase down Lamar Jackson was a treat.

John Johnson, Boston College.

Good size/strength and can play well in both zone and man coverage. Has CB skills and is a big hitter.

STs:

JK Scott, P, Alabama.

Superb leg. Booms the ball.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WR Malacai Dupree is much like Fitz having Derek Anderson as QB. Dupree had Brandon Harris(who is ghastly) throwing to him for 2 years. He got to show a little more with Etling at QB.

Surprised I didn't hear LB Beckwith name called more in that game. Maybe I was just too happy watching LSU beat down Petrino I didn't notice.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
WR Malacai Dupree is much like Fitz having Derek Anderson as QB. Dupree had Brandon Harris(who is ghastly) throwing to him for 2 years. He got to show a little more with Etling at QB.

Surprised I didn't hear LB Beckwith name called more in that game. Maybe I was just too happy watching LSU beat down Petrino I didn't notice.

Beckwith was out with an injury. Even so, the defense was outstanding.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beckwith was out with an injury. Even so, the defense was outstanding.

Duh... I guess that's why I didn't hear his name. lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
CB Kevin King,...Washington.... you should take a look at him,...would be a steal in the third round.... they didn't call his name in the game yesterday much because he wasn't thrown at... but he did flash up in support a couple times.... this guy has the length SK covets and more experience than our recent picks. frame is a bit slight right now but he can add weight.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take away that last drive and Trubisky was horrible plain and simple.

Mike Williams looked great I love what I see from him

Dalvin Cook is very much the real deal if the Colts let him get by them then are are who we thought they are.

Raekwon McMillian was the best linebacker on display yesterday he's a beast.

Thomas from Standford wow what a game I don't know if he's that good or that Carolina o line is that bad but that's what I want to see big players playing big in big games

Interesting to see where we end up in the draft after today

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
CB Kevin King,...Washington.... you should take a look at him,...would be a steal in the third round.... they didn't call his name in the game yesterday much because he wasn't thrown at... but he did flash up in support a couple times.... this guy has the length SK covets and more experience than our recent picks. frame is a bit slight right now but he can add weight.

Good call, oaken! King can play some cover 2 FS as well. It will be interesting to see what he runs at the combine.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Washington gots some really good defensive players

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Take away that last drive and Trubisky was horrible plain and simple.

Mike Williams looked great I love what I see from him

Dalvin Cook is very much the real deal if the Colts let him get by them then are are who we thought they are.

Raekwon McMillian was the best linebacker on display yesterday he's a beast.

Thomas from Standford wow what a game I don't know if he's that good or that Carolina o line is that bad but that's what I want to see big players playing big in big games

Interesting to see where we end up in the draft after today

Trubisky, aside from the one bad interception and a bad overthrown I thought he showed very good skills. And he was brilliant late in the game. I guess one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I agree with all your other notes. Solomon Thomas was beating pro RT prospect Jon Heck (48 career starts) like a drum.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trubisky, aside from the one bad interception and a bad overthrown I thought he showed very good skills. And he was brilliant late in the game. I guess one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I agree with all your other notes. Solomon Thomas was beating pro RT prospect Jon Heck (48 career starts) like a drum.

He missed some wide open guys bad in that game. I wasn't impressed and I wanted to be. He clearly isn't a finished product but you can see the raw skills. It's gonna depend on what he gots between the ears with him.

Heck although a starter for a good while isn't really highly thought of. He's a Mid to late round prospect at best

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Firt round option mike Williams, reuben foster,tze tabor,adams lsu safety
Salomon Thomas in the second round would be nice
Then I like mahomes,kelly or faulk in the 3th

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nice summary. Kevin King looked really good.

Mike Williams impressed me with his play vs good CBs, but I worry I don't see much nuance in his game.

Hooker showed nice FS instincts. Covered a ton of ground.

Solomon Thomas looked like a beast. And he is young.

Imo, OJ Howard showed he can be the focal point of a passing game.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No way in gods green earth will Adams make it out the top 5-7 in the draft

Thomas will be a first rounder

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we beat the Rams today, none of those first options you mentioned with the exception of Tabor will fall to us. Hell, Solomon Thomas might not even fall to us in the FIRST round.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the Malik Hooker chap. I would actually like to have a FS versus what we have been doing since Kerry Rhodes left. Rashad was great mentally, but left much to be desired speed wise. If we didn't have PP2 shutting down someone continuously, Rashad would have looked much worse.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
From what I witnessed at games this season, the secondary really disappointed. We have some young CB' s and to me adding a vet in FA makes sense because Bethel didn't work out really and Williams has a lot of work to do. Cooper had his moments.

We have playmakers, but late in most of the close games the coverage was really suspect.

Adding a rangy FS makes a ton of sense to me and that guy is definitely Malik Hooker.

We should have 3 or 4 extremely good options who can make a sizeable contribution. I like Hooker as one of them.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT: The local ABC affiliate is fighting with Directv and the Outback Bowl is blacked out... You gotta be kidding me!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on TJ Watt? He's tall, has long arms, and gets to the QB on a consistent basis...still not sure what to think of him though. Already has a sack in the Cotton Bowl...still 1st quarter.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of irony that may interest only me...

The blacked out Outback Bowl on Directv is sponsored by Directv... lol

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming our roster doesn't get waxed by free agency, I like it, top to bottom, better than any Cardinal roster I can remember.

There are a few obvious needs though - QBOF, upgraded OL, a replacement for Floyd (& God forbid, Fitz).

After that, I'd feel more comfortable being 2+ deep behind our more uniquely built role players - i.e. we need clones of guys like Calais, the Badger and Bucannon (because when any of them are sidelined, it changes the structure of our football team).

Mitch (or anyone) - care to expand on the Bowl stars Mitch outlined from the standpoint of how they might fit on our roster the way it's configured?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
A little early...but Sam Darnold is looking fantastic in the bowl game. Kid could be great.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little early...but Sam Darnold is looking fantastic in the bowl game. Kid could be great.

Been touting him for weeks now. The people that say stay away from USC QB's, he's nothing like Barkley or Leinart, he's got the size and arm of Palmer, and he's a great athlete. I'm UCLA all the way but I'd take him over Rosen without question next year and that was true before Rosen got hurt. Rosen still has a chance but he looked terrible in the pro style offense this year, Darnold makes some risky plays but my goodness he has has an arm, he's accurate and he can run.