Cardinals' Draft: Bowl Standouts

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little early...but Sam Darnold is looking fantastic in the bowl game. Kid could be great.

That kid was just stone cold in that fourth quarter. Really, really impressive. They showed a few of his throws where it was Warner or Brady like throwing a covered WR open.

I want to be his agent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Performance for the ages tonight for the young QB from USC

Darnold just has that poise about him

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kid was just stone cold in that fourth quarter. Really, really impressive. They showed a few of his throws where it was Warner or Brady like throwing a covered WR open.

I want to be his agent.

Yep. There was a guy on the UCLA board I read who kept saying all offseason when UCLA fans were talking up Rosen as a Heisman guy and best QB in the country, "he's not even the best QB in the Pac 12, when Darnold gets the job at SC look out." They took a few weeks to make the decision and went to him and just a few weeks later Max Browne the former starter was looking to transfer because it was so obvious how good Darnold is. I'm not totally clear on the draft rules he turned 19 in June so 20 this June so he won't be 21 by the NFL draft next year when he's a RS soph. In the NBA you just have to be 19 in the year of the draft in the NFL is that the case or do you actually have to be 21 by the time of the draft?

Darnold just has such good touch and accuracy for a young QB. It's funny but in hindsight Clay Helton really screwed up he admits that he nearly started Darnold in the opener, Tee Martin said it was neck and neck in camp and everyone saw the potential stardom in Darnold but they were afraid having not played at all, he'd struggle "when the lights went on" so they went with Browne who was perceived to have a narrow edge entirely on experience.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Been touting him for weeks now. The people that say stay away from USC QB's, he's nothing like Barkley or Leinart, he's got the size and arm of Palmer, and he's a great athlete. I'm UCLA all the way but I'd take him over Rosen without question next year and that was true before Rosen got hurt. Rosen still has a chance but he looked terrible in the pro style offense this year, Darnold makes some risky plays but my goodness he has has an arm, he's accurate and he can run.

Looking at his 247 profile he played linebacker at San Clemente and was listed as a dual-threat QB. Kid can move. This kid Deontay Burnett was also sensational.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Been touting him for weeks now. The people that say stay away from USC QB's, he's nothing like Barkley or Leinart, he's got the size and arm of Palmer, and he's a great athlete. I'm UCLA all the way but I'd take him over Rosen without question next year and that was true before Rosen got hurt. Rosen still has a chance but he looked terrible in the pro style offense this year, Darnold makes some risky plays but my goodness he has has an arm, he's accurate and he can run.
That kid made throws that most NFL QB's wouldn't make...and his ability to scramble in the pocket while always keeping his eyes down field...going through progressions...making just absolutely insane throws. He just solidified himself as the #1 QB in the country starting next year, and if he continues to progress...guaranteed #1 pick in the NFL draft. The type of player that you tank for.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could he declare for the draft just after the 12th pick this year?? :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Once again Baker Mayfield is outstanding! :shock:

IMO he's gonna be a very good player if he gets on a solid team with good offensive coaches in the NFL in another year. He's everything Manziel wasn't

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Once again Baker Mayfield is outstanding! :shock:

IMO he's gonna be a very good player if he gets on a solid team with good offensive coaches in the NFL in another year. He's everything Manziel wasn't
Definitely better than Manziel, and they're roughly about the same size as well. Better pocket awareness, and has nice touch on the ball. Tough to really tell in those spread offenses though.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Definitely better than Manziel, and they're roughly about the same size as well. Better pocket awareness, and has nice touch on the ball. Tough to really tell in those spread offenses though.
It's crazy but I've always said QBs from the Tech air raid offense don't translate to the NFL. This is the 1 guy whom I think will have the best shot.

He's got a very strong arm, gets rid of the ball quick, loves playing, by all accounts is a gym rat & has posted great numbers many times against very good teams.

He's more like Russell Wilson than any guy I've ever seen.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FYI everybody watched the game....no Sam Darnold is not going to be a Cardinal.

I was talking earlier last week about not liking Trubisky because theres nothing special about him.

Sam Darnold? The most special young college QB ive ever seen (in regards to 1 game). That was incredible. His accuracy and ball speed are HOF'y

#1 overall pick next year (2018)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Mayfield has this insane competitiveness streak in him, which I think will allow him to at least hang around in the NFL for few years.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's crazy but I've always said QBs from the Tech air raid offense don't translate to the NFL. This is the 1 guy whom I think will have the best shot.

He's got a very strong arm, gets rid of the ball quick, loves playing, by all accounts is a gym rat & has posted great numbers many times against very good teams.

He's more like Russell Wilson than any guy I've ever seen.
He's like a mix of Manziel and Wilson. Has the quickness and frame of Manziel, but the poise and touch of Wilson. He could be very good, and you know a good majority of NFL teams are going to overlook him for his size and because of the offense he plays in.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rose Bowl was an exciting game to watch. So many ups and downs for both teams. 52-49.

Darnold really put on a show last night. Rallied the Trojans in the 4th to seal the win. Wow.

The Penn St QB had quite a game also and his WR's made some terrific catches to bail him out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Rose Bowl was an exciting game to watch. So many ups and downs for both teams. 52-49.

Darnold really put on a show last night. Rallied the Trojans in the 4th to seal the win. Wow.

The Penn St QB had quite a game also and his WR's made some terrific catches to bail him out.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was indeed a great game to watch. Barkley the RB for PSU look very good too. Godwin the WR also made some great catches. I also liked two of the LBs from PSU, #11 until he got hurt and #40.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at his 247 profile he played linebacker at San Clemente and was listed as a dual-threat QB. Kid can move. This kid Deontay Burnett was also sensational.

He played basketball too, all league player had Mountain West schools recruiting him, Pac 12 teams were looking but everyone figured he'd play football so they didn't go too hard at him for hoops. Athletic kid.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, Darnold is going to be a great one in the future. No doubt about it. Single-handedly willed them to victory. Penn State put TONS of pressure on him, and got nary a sack.

Oh, and tell me again how Penn State didn't deserve to go to the playoffs over OSU and Washington. Scored 7x their COMBINED points totals.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yeah, Darnold is going to be a great one in the future. No doubt about it. Single-handedly willed them to victory. Penn State put TONS of pressure on him, and got nary a sack.

Oh, and tell me again how Penn State didn't deserve to go to the playoffs over OSU and Washington. Scored 7x their COMBINED points totals.

Because they lost to Pitt and got hammered by Michigan.

Jason1970

Reaction score
Because they lost to Pitt and got hammered by Michigan.

Exactly, UDub should not even be mentioned when talking about who should have been replaced. The Bias of the committee of "picking" the 4 best teams is crap. It should be the 4 most "deserving" teams. Penn St should have been the BIG's representative. WA deserved to be in, if they wanted to go with the best 4 then USC probably should have been one.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Agree Stout, PSU should have been one of the 4 instead of OSU. I think Franklin got way too conservative in the last 8 minutes if yesterday's game. USC was daring them to pass by jamming the box and Franklin kept trying to run Barkley up the middle. Never once in the last 8 minutes did he even try a pass on first down. Not to take anything away from USC, they did what they needed to do to win the game. I thought the PSU offense got very predictable in the last 8 minutes.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Exactly, UDub should not even be mentioned when talking about who should have been replaced. The Bias of the committee of "picking" the 4 best teams is crap. It should be the 4 most "deserving" teams. Penn St should have been the BIG's representative. WA deserved to be in, if they wanted to go with the best 4 then USC probably should have been one.
The USC with 3 losses, in a terrible Pac12 conference? There would've been national outrage...although USC was playing great the last half of the season, but they still had 3 losses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree Stout, PSU should have been one of the 4 instead of OSU. I think Franklin got way too conservative in the last 8 minutes if yesterday's game. USC was daring them to pass by jamming the box and Franklin kept trying to run Barkley up the middle. Never once in the last 8 minutes did he even try a pass on first down. Not to take anything away from USC, they did what they needed to do to win the game. I thought the PSU offense got very predictable in the last 8 minutes.

The one time they threw downfield the freshman CB totally botched the play for USC but the QB badly overthrew it or it was probably a TD.

The other thing other than just running every down was too conservative is USC was playing without BOTH starting CB's, Adoree Jackson was out hurt as was the other one, they had 2 backups in including a true freshman.

Then when they should have been more cautious they went for the big one and got picked after nearly getting picked earlier.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...Oh, and tell me again how Penn State didn't deserve to go to the playoffs over OSU and Washington. Scored 7x their COMBINED points totals.
Shhh! We Rutgers fans don't need for PSU to get any more recruiting ammo than they've already got.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

When you say UDUB you mean Wisconsin? They did not deserve any consideration at all, and don't let my handle fool you I am an AZ native and an ASU fan. I cant stand UW and my Daughter is a UW alumni. Their fans are just like packer fans I root for them to lose every game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05