Cardinals Free Agent Targets

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
After Whisenhunt hires his staff, his next order of business will be addressing free agency. The Cardinals very likely will not franchise Leonard Davis, which therefore will leave a major need at left tackle. I believe this position could be filled through free agency, instead of the draft and at a cheaper price than Davis and the 5th pick in the draft. The Cardinals should target Buffalo Bills LT Mike Gandy. Gandy is 6-4, 310, and is 28 years of age. Gandy has opened holes for Willis McGahee for the past three years and is a versatile and somewhat athletic tackle. He could be signed for less than the Cards are paying Big right now. Their other target also resides on the Bills roster and that's veteran ILB London Fletcher-Baker. The former Ram is a player who is never injured, is always prepared, and would give the Cards a veteran leader for their young defense.

Signing Gandy would give the Cardinals this offensive line rotation:
LT-Gandy, RT-Wells, LG-M. Brown, RG-Lutui, and C-Leckey. Arizona could then take a young tackle in the third or fourth round of the draft.

Signing Fletcher would give the Cards some options at LB. He could play inside with Hays in a 3-4 alignment or slide to the weakside in a 4-3. The LB rotation in a 4-3 setup would look like this: SLB-Dansby, WLB-Fletcher-Baker, ILB-Hayes, SLB-Pace, WLB-Brandon Johnson, ILB-Beisel, and a draft pick (rounds three to five who can excel on special teams).

These two free agent acquistions won't break the bank in free agent costs for the Cardinals and will give them the flexibility to look at the following in the draft:

Round 1-BPA (excluding QB and WR)
Round 2-CB
Round 3-OT
Round 4-CB
Round 5-LB (special teams emphasis)
Round 6-DE
Round 7-traded away for OT Brandon Gorin (New England)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect , what in the hell are the CArds going to do with the other 20M of cap space?
Sorry, I disagree. Gandy is fine , as long as we do something to replace Davis if we don't retain him. But we have to make a much bigger splash than just Gandy and Fletcher.
Whis is going to want a pressure blitzing defense if you consider where he came from. Go out and either sign a CB like Samuels who can shut down half the field or a beast like Adalius Thomas. Can you imagine Berry and Okeafor at ends with Dansby and Thomas on the outside?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
After Whisenhunt hires his staff, his next order of business will be addressing free agency. The Cardinals very likely will not franchise Leonard Davis, which therefore will leave a major need at left tackle. I believe this position could be filled through free agency, instead of the draft and at a cheaper price than Davis and the 5th pick in the draft. The Cardinals should target Buffalo Bills LT Mike Gandy. Gandy is 6-4, 310, and is 28 years of age. Gandy has opened holes for Willis McGahee for the past three years and is a versatile and somewhat athletic tackle. He could be signed for less than the Cards are paying Big right now. Their other target also resides on the Bills roster and that's veteran ILB London Fletcher-Baker. The former Ram is a player who is never injured, is always prepared, and would give the Cards a veteran leader for their young defense.

LT-Gandy, RT-Wells, LG-M. Brown, RG-Lutui, and C-Leckey. Arizona could then take a young tackle in the third or fourth round of the draft.

Signing Fletcher would give the Cards some options at LB. He could play inside with Hays in a 3-4 alignment or slide to the weakside in a 4-3. The LB rotation in a 4-3 setup would look like this: SLB-Dansby, WLB-Fletcher-Baker, ILB-Hayes, SLB-Pace, WLB-Brandon Johnson, ILB-Beisel, and a draft pick (rounds three to five who can excel on special teams).

These two free agent acquistions won't break the bank in free agent costs for the Cardinals and will give them the flexibility to look at the following in the draft:

Round 2-CB
Round 3-OT
Round 4-CB
Round 6-DE

Not sure if you read the Sporting News, but they listed the best destinations for the upcoming free agent class, and they listed Arizona as the best destination for the player formerly known as London Fletcher. He's got a lot of miles on the tires, I wonder how much he has left.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
heck of a job- you did your homework. But you cannot realistically go into a draft with a predecided position for every round. Maybe the first 3-4 rounds, but after that you have to go with the best available player. Another thing, everyone seems to leave this out so i hope someone responds to let me know if i am a moron or something, but aren't we in more need of another run stuffer @ dt than a pass rushing end?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jh

Round 2-CB
Round 3-OT
Round 4-CB
Round 6-DE
i meant to quote you on my other post

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If we don't franchise Davis at least at first, I will take back anything and everything I've said about positive progress for this franchise. Unless we extended him already, of course ;)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If we don't franchise Davis at least at first, I will take back anything and everything I've said about positive progress for this franchise. Unless we extended him already, of course ;)
I agree, even if it is a one year fix.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Another thing, everyone seems to leave this out so i hope someone responds to let me know if i am a moron or something, but aren't we in more need of another run stuffer @ dt than a pass rushing end?

I'd say no. Both of our starting DEs are getting up there in age & Berry has had 1 healthy season since he has been in AZ. We have 3 good DTs(Clancy, Dockett & Watson) and another young one drafted last season(Lewis) that should contribute this year. We need a good young pass rusher almost as bad as we need a good CB.

Also I 100% agree with Stout, Davis needs to either be re-signed before free agency or franchised...if someone wants to give him an offer and we get compensated accordingly OK but he should either be a Cardinal in 2007 or we should get something out of him.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
heck of a job- you did your homework. But you cannot realistically go into a draft with a predecided position for every round. Maybe the first 3-4 rounds, but after that you have to go with the best available player. Another thing, everyone seems to leave this out so i hope someone responds to let me know if i am a moron or something, but aren't we in more need of another run stuffer @ dt than a pass rushing end?
You can never have to many good DT's. But IMO with Gabe Watson & Kendric Clancy(sp?) We do have acouple solid run stuffer. I would love to see those 2 guys start with Dockett playing on passing situations, and rotating some at DE.

I wouldnt mind drafting a good DE at #5, Berry gets hurt ALOT & both our DE's are getting older.

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score

That was a projection only which can change of course based on who is available at the position we pick. The emphasis should be placed on taking the BPA in round one (regardless of position excluding QB/WR). With that approach the Cardinals could select one of the following: Adrain Peterson RB Oklahoma, Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin, Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas, Gaines Adams DE Clemson or Alan Branch DT Michigan. If they want to trade down then they could look to the Patriots who have two first round picks (#22 and/either #28, 31, or 32) and their second round pick (trade is close to equal in points). Areas that must be addressed in the draft include CB (likely two), a special teamer (likely LB), and another offensive lineman (T/G variety).

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
With all due respect , what in the hell are the CArds going to do with the other 20M of cap space?
Sorry, I disagree. Gandy is fine , as long as we do something to replace Davis if we don't retain him. But we have to make a much bigger splash than just Gandy and Fletcher.
Whis is going to want a pressure blitzing defense if you consider where he came from. Go out and either sign a CB like Samuels who can shut down half the field or a beast like Adalius Thomas. Can you imagine Berry and Okeafor at ends with Dansby and Thomas on the outside?

Not sure the Cardinals will spend big bucks for Thomas, Clements and Samuel. Signing Gandy and Fletcher-Baker with some lower-priced free agents thrown in (maybe three others) is the scenario Arizona will probably pursue.

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Not sure if you read the Sporting News, but they listed the best destinations for the upcoming free agent class, and they listed Arizona as the best destination for the player formerly known as London Fletcher. He's got a lot of miles on the tires, I wonder how much he has left.

Didn't see the TSN article but Fletcher-Baker would be an ideal player for the Cards. He is 32 but is never injured, very heady, always makes plays, and is a defensive leader something the Cards could use in addition to Wilson.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure the Cardinals will spend big bucks for Thomas, Clements and Samuel. Signing Gandy and Fletcher-Baker with some lower-priced free agents thrown in (maybe three others) is the scenario Arizona will probably pursue.

The Cards have a great deal of cap space and they have to spend up to a certain % of the cap. Gandy and Fletcher isn't going to get that done, I think that was his point.

The Cards will probably overspend on 1 free agent--unless of course they sign Davis--then we'll be okay I think.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What about Donnie Edwards...Getting long in the tooth, but is still extremely productive. Would be a better stop-gap than Fletcher-Baker, IMO.

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
The Cards have a great deal of cap space and they have to spend up to a certain % of the cap. Gandy and Fletcher isn't going to get that done, I think that was his point.

The Cards will probably overspend on 1 free agent--unless of course they sign Davis--then we'll be okay I think.

I follow that thinking and hope the Cards will look at say Lance Briggs, Asante Samuel or Nate Clements but we all know that some teams throw big bucks more often towards free agents than the Cardinals do most of the time. I could see the Redskins blowing big cash for Clements and Freeney or Briggs. Maybe the Cards can target Samuel (who I really like) in addition to Gandy and Fletcher-Baker. I really don't think the Cards want Davis back and they haven't used the franchise tag since maybe Aeneas Williams several years ago? If they wanted him they would have already extended his deal and not shopped him on the open market. With Whisenhunt on board maybe the Cards will have a change of heart.

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
What about Donnie Edwards...Getting long in the tooth, but is still extremely productive. Would be a better stop-gap than Fletcher-Baker, IMO.

Edwards is a good option but he is two-years older than Fletcher Baker and reports out of San Diego are he would like to return to KC and play for Herm Edwards.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I follow that thinking and hope the Cards will look at say Lance Briggs, Asante Samuel or Nate Clements but we all know that some teams throw big bucks more often towards free agents than the Cardinals do most of the time. I could see the Redskins blowing big cash for Clements and Freeney or Briggs. Maybe the Cards can target Samuel (who I really like) in addition to Gandy and Fletcher-Baker. I really don't think the Cards want Davis back and they haven't used the franchise tag since maybe Aeneas Williams several years ago? If they wanted him they would have already extended his deal and not shopped him on the open market. With Whisenhunt on board maybe the Cards will have a change of heart.

I'm not saying they have to spend that money because I am a fan, I am saying they have to spend that money by the CBA. Teams are required to spend a minimum to the cap and signing Gandy and Fletcher aren't gonna get them anywhere close. That is why I am saying they will have to throw money at at least 1 big time free agent whether the team likes it or not.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

I forgot all about him. Edwards would be an awesome addition.

Franchise Big.

Sign Samuels, Edwards, Shaun McDonald and a back-up OT.

Resign Macklin and Femi.

Go BAP in the draft.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If we can get one of the big name FA such as Briggs, Clements, Samuels, Thomas, Freeney cool, but I am not holding my breath.

Should not stop trying to go after the few other good UFA's to hit the open market either. It will be a long shot but we shold still try.

I think we should also not be afriad to go the older veteran stop gaps types that can help us win now but let the rookies grow and wait till good FA comes along, if the younger FA types dont pan out. At the very least they could be great depth and or role players. Older guys such as -

CB - Tory James - 34 years old
CB - Nick Harper - 33 years old
LB - Donnie Edwards - 34 years old
LB - London Fletcher - 32 years old
OG - Ruben Brown - 35 Years Old

Also some other names that people arent mentioning that have a much higher likely hood of us having a shot at are (even though I think half this list will be re-signed before the FA period even starts) -

LB - EJ Henderson
TE - Eric Johnson
TE - Daniel Graham
TE - Ben Utecht - He is a RFA but since he wasnt drafted if we sign him to an offer sheet we dont have to give up any draft picks to indy if he is given the low tender. All Indy would have is the right to match ore offer.
FB - Jerad Sowell
FB - Ovie Mughelli
FB - Kyle Johnson
WR - Dennis Northcutt - One of the most underratted punt returner men in the league. has averaged double digit yards per punt return the last 3 years, 5 out of 7 of his years in the league. As consistently good punt returner as they come, is always top 5 in the league out of punt returners that have 20 or more returns.
OT - Jon Stinchcomb - Besides Leo Davis this is the only OT worth talking about, I am just not a fan of Mike Gandy at all and his double digit sacks in his worst year ever.
OG - Chris Deilman - underrated young OG from the Chargers.
DB - Micheal Lewis
DB - Ken Hamlin
DB - Deon Grant

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If I had my offseason plan in place it would look as such which I think is a little more realistic:

TE - Eric Johnson - Cant stay healthy so he may come cheaper and may want to come and try to prove himself in a what might be a pass oriented offense including the TE. Might be a place he could revive his career.

FB - Ovie Mughelli - A real FB.

WR/PR - Dennis Northcutt - one of the best punt return men in the game and can play a good role as a 5th WR good for 15-20 catches a year.

FS - Ken Hamlin - our biggest name FA pickup.

CB - Nick Harper - older but good stop gap type.

LB - EJ Henderson - Mid tier LB type that seems to be the aggresive type lB Whis might like.

Re-sign (not as starters but camp competition and solid backups, none should cost much so it wont hurt if we have to cut them) -

LB - Darling
LB - Beisel
DB - Griffith - 1 more year as depth behind Wilson
TE - Fred Wakefield - I think he really came on as a blocking TE.
RB - Shipp - Maybe Whis can have a use for him?
Tender all of our RFA's.

All of that will still leave us with to much cap space. So we will have to do a few other things -

Extend Dansby
Franchise Davis with the idea that we, A - trade him for draft picks and/or players, B - one year rental, C - try for long term deal.
Maybe pay Matts bonuses to him a little early.

Then in the draft I think I might go with -

1st Round - DE - Gaines Adams
2nd Round - OT - Joe Staley or Aaron Sears
3rd Round - CB - Johnathan Wade, Fred Bennett, or Aaron Ross
4th Round - OC - Kyle Young, Ryan Kalil, or Enoka Lucas
5th Round - BPA
6th Round - BPA

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would LOVE to get Ken Hamlin through free agency. That guy is awesome. He's like a younger, faster, better version of what we had in Robert Griffith this year. Ken Hamlin induced Anquan Boldin to get alligator arms when they both were rookies.

But there's no chance he leaves the Seahawks. They'd be stupid to let him leave.

I like E.J. Henderson because he's versitile and can play both the strong side and middle LB positions.

Wasn't Denny Northcutt a guy who hung Rod Graves and the Cards out to dry when he was a free agent last time? During the Boston Massacre offseason? I'd almost rather have Shaun McDonald in to compete for the PR/4WR job.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I would LOVE to get Ken Hamlin through free agency. That guy is awesome. He's like a younger, faster, better version of what we had in Robert Griffith this year. Ken Hamlin induced Anquan Boldin to get alligator arms when they both were rookies.

But there's no chance he leaves the Seahawks. They'd be stupid to let him leave.

I like E.J. Henderson because he's versitile and can play both the strong side and middle LB positions.

Wasn't Denny Northcutt a guy who hung Rod Graves and the Cards out to dry when he was a free agent last time? During the Boston Massacre offseason? I'd almost rather have Shaun McDonald in to compete for the PR/4WR job.

Northcutt has never been on the open market, so no. Are you thinking about Vonnie Holliday?

I agree with you on McDonald. I think he would be a great fit as the speed 3rd WR for us.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...But you cannot realistically go into a draft with a predecided position for every round. Maybe the first 3-4 rounds, but after that you have to go with the best available player...
I'm not willing to concede even that.

I think the past three drafts under DG's "best athlete" approach were the best we've had in recent history. (Before you stat guys start with the "what about this bust? and what about that bust?" - the best you can do with a draft is to make the best percentage call, and all things considered, I loved our picks at the time we made them).

I hope we won't return to the drafting for position-needs approach or the Coach Mac approach of earmarking certain players and then picking them a round too early "to make sure we got them."

During the past three years, the talent-level on our roster has improved significantly; in part because of the way we've been drafting. I'd hate to lose that. I hope RG won't let pride get in the way of what he's learned from serving with DG. (It wasn't all bad).

I'd rather see us address major position holes via free agency and continue with the Top 100 List of best athletes approach.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
If we can't get Thomas, trade down for Landry (FS), grab Jared Gathers (OT) in the second, then grab Kalil (C) in the third. Pick up a (OLB) in free agency and we're set.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Then new CBA raised the min spending that teams were forced to spend, meaning the new deal forces teams to spend more.

Joesmoe, do you know the new min NFL spending percent? If you do could you post the percent and the min for this year?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan